Question about Chating the Rudram (Namakam/Chamakam)

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by CarpeDiem, Jul 24, 2009.

1. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

Hi All:

I would like to learn and start chanting the Rudram. I plan to do so by reading the english translated version of alongside listening to the CD, so that I can recite along and learn. I have two doubts:

1) Can women chant the Rudram, or is it generally considered inappropriate?
    2) Are there only special occasions for which this should be chanted, or can I chant it every week (say on a Tuesday)
    3) Also, do you know how long it takes to chant the entire Rudram at a stretch?

Any thoughts or suggestions on the above questions would be very appreciated. Thanks!

2. Malathiv

Malathiv Silver IL'ite

hi

u can chant rudram, you can also chant every week i chant along with the dvd play on, if i cant chant i play it every week without fail.

regards
    Malathi

:spin

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Depends on if you want to chant only Rudram or Chamakam also.
    There is a CD that has Rudram, Chamakam, Durgasuktham. Sri Suktham
    I think only Pushpanjali is not chanted by women.
    It should take you half an hour once you pick up the tempo less than that.

4. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

Malathiv and Jananikrithsan - Thanks so much for your responses. They are really helpful.

Janani - I think I have the Rudram Namakam and Chamakam CD and I plan to learn and recite both. I read somewhere that the pronounciation and the verses are best learnt by a Guru and it is not advisable to learn it on your own - and hence my doubts. But I guess listening to a CD and learning on the side should be good enough (since I can pick up the right pronuniciations by listening and practicing).

Malathiv - It's good to know that you are also chanting the Rudram alongside the CD. How long did it take for you to learn the verses and be comfortable chanting it?