1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Superstar

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by asuitablegirl, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

How did you come to know what they wrote in a private mail to your husband? Why did you care? You say, your DH doesn't let their nasty talk affect him then why should you bother?

The best way in my opinion to deal with such people is to completely ignore them - unless as you say it affects your DH who matters to you. Why do you even care what they write about you? Yes your mother is true and even if you liked her advice, I think you are not following it in spirit. If you did, like a superstar you won't have time to think about what is being said or written about you.

2. ankitkaran

ankitkaran Bronze IL'ite

Hi there you need to be like a superstar like you mom said. She is so right and believe me it works. I do the same with my in laws and I do not bother whatever they say or do. I just keep in touch with them and have done for 16 yrs and will do in future.

ALL THE BEST........

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Visu,

It was a private message on Facebook. My dh likes to read to me all the letters from his friends from college years, so at night we sit together and he shows me their photos and mails. Couple times he got a mail from his family, and to "show me they loved me" he read the mail outloud thinking they might have wrote something nice. Unfortunately, he had not given the mails a read through before showing me, and out came some nasty stuff about me.

Also, my dh has not been truthful with me in the past in regards to his family. Reality is, my dh and his family are all master liars. Although my dh's behavior is not changing now, my deepest fear is that he will go back to how he was before when his mom and sis ruled our lives. My dh has given me all his passwords to read through their mails, just in case I get that worry again that they are up to something. He also has all my passwords. One time I logged on to his chat thing, and I saw the transcript of what his sister had said about me.

You're right Visu, I shouldn't let it bother me. I guess the reason it did for so long was, I had tried so hard for them to like me. I was so confused as to why anyone would hate me. In my whole life nobody has ever said such bad stuff about me. Especially not family members. Also why it bothers me is, I worry my dh will go back to how he was before. If you are wondering how that is, please read through some very early posts of mine.

4. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

ASG, I very much understand your DH's mindset, I too was like that. In fact, after having read most such cases here on IL, I am now convinced most husbands are very protective when they come about their own FOO. It is very natural for males to expect their wife's to respect their FOO, irrespective of how bad they behave towards them. They don't seem to connect well to the hurt their spouse feels towards her inlaws. They don't understand the difference of themselves being abused by their FOO (which they won't take it to heart) and their wives who haven't had as much acquaintance with her inlaws.

Thing is, he DOES get hurt when his FOO talks bad about you, take that from me - but he won't say that explicitly as it would mean that he has to accept someone with whom he lived all his life, who he otherwise thinks good about, to be indeed bad. It is like he just wants to forget (and you too) about whatever bad they say and just want to highlight whatever little good they do. He somehow wants that you and his FOO become good towards each other, forget and forgive everything which happened.

I am no way supporting his behavior, don't take me wrong, but I almost saw myself when you mentioned your DHs efforts to show you "how they loved you" - he just wants to bring you folks close, he wants everyone to be good to you and you to be good to them and he too can't understand (and possibly surprised) how his FOO can be so harsh and nasty towards you. If you want him to express that, I think it would need more time or sometimes it may not happen. But if you let lose your cool, take it from me that you are playing straight into your inlaws games - they abuse you so that you get angry - and anger will certainly cause differences between you and your DH. So right now be the magnanimous one in your relationship and "hear" those unsaid words from your DH and take it that he won't change himself unless you let yourself affected by your inlaws.

Past is past. ASG, we all do mistakes and the best part is your DH changed and that means a lot of effort on his part. It is not easy to let yourself change, which means that you implicitly accepted that you are worng and that is in itself isn't easy. Trust me, this is something which I tell from my own experiences. So forget if your DH is untruthful to you in the past - he may have done that to coverup somethings in the short run, when you both didn't have enough understanding. Now that he understands you better, he will feel more free in letting you know and not hide from you. What he is now should matter to you more than what he was in the past.

It is good that you both have enough trust to share all your passwords. But truely speaking TRUST means that you never ever feel the need to read each others personal mails. Also you can simply tell your DH that he reads the mails first before reading them to you - as you don't bother about someone saying something about you both unless that things gets inbetween you both.

You need to read your DH well. Don't expect him to express everything that he feels in words before you. That may or may not happen but there certainly will be moments where he will say something that you want to hear from him - just treasure those moments. Your DH made changes in his life to accommodate your relationship. So have that trust in him that he will never "go back to how he was before".

ASG, you are such a wonderful person in IL, with your frank and straight opinions and the uniqueness about them which I truly felt are - they come straight from your heart and it feels so refreshing to read them. So don't underestimate yourself - you are quite unlike most people - and your DH seemed to have recognized that himself, for he changed for you.

5. asuitablegirl

Visu,

My dh has extreme anger towards his mom. She ruined his first marriage, and now that he has caught her up to her old ways, he says he wants "justice." He wants to call them and make them apologize to me, and he gets furious when his mom continues to lie to him and me. But at the same time, he holds out that hope that we can be a 'happy united family.' But Visu, I don't want that!! My life is too short, I don't want to live it with people I hate. I'm fine if he is in contact with them, but I dont want anything to do with them. Ever! Also, I don't want an apology. I don't want to hear their voice!!! I have told my dh that but he is insistant. He says apology or not he wants to confront them. Problem is, acknowleding them confirms their existance, and on most days I like to pretend they dont exist. So this confrontation my dh has in mind is making me more nervous than anything else.

Your above quote is EXACTLY how my dh acted when this first started happening two years ago. But now he is at the point of openly expressing his anger about what is happening. He is totally on my side. You know, there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Basically, I just need to gain control over my insecurities. Else I know it's going to ruin my relationship with hubby.

I bet thats what he wishes for. There's a lot of things I wished for too in life. But I cant give my husband this. I've sacrificed myself too many times before. I want to surround myself with people who love me. I don't want to talk here about everything that happened, but I never want to be in a situation where they are staying in my house again. I don't care anymore if he has contact with them, but I don't want to. Is that bad? Dh doesn't expect me to have a relationship with them, although I know in his heart he probably wishes we did.

You're right, you're really right. My dh is not the one getting affected anymore. He used to be his mom's puppet, now I'm the puppet. I'm letting my fear of them rule my life and change me into a paranoid psycho. I've got to put a stop to it, but everyday is like a battle to get over what happened, and my fear of what could happen in the future. I worry that ultimately she will come to live with us (my #1 worry), although my dh keeps reassuring me he will never let that happen. Visu, what is your suggestion of how I can get over this unfounded dillusion? Is it because deep in my mind I don't believe my dh will keep her away? I want to throw these fears out the window, permanently!!!

That is really beautiful words. I will remember that next time I think upon past issues. He gets aggravated with me when I doubt him for past incidents. But he is a completely different guy now. So much on my side, so much loving me. You are right, I should focus on who he is now. And I do! But sometimes this horrible feeling in my stomach gets triggered out of nowhere, and everything just feels upside down.

Again, you're right. I want to get to the point where I don't feel the need to read his emails. And you know, I'm not going to anymore. He NEVER writes bad about me. Only his family is writting bad. And he defends me. So really it's pointless for me to read that stuff when it's only hurting me. My dh loves me, and hence writes good stuff. My inlaws hate me, and hence writes bad stuff. But neither of that is a surprise, I knew it all along! So why do I check? It's my own stupidiy. I shouldn't. It's just hurting my feelings worse. I haven't done the email checking for a long time. Only this past week I started again because I could see them again trying to cause problems. But you know, this conversation has made me to realize, that was unneccesary for me to do. My dh is going to handle it. I pray to God everyday to give my husband the strength to keep our relationship safe from outside harm, I really hope God is listening to me! :)

Thanks Visu, that's really positive to hear. You are also very helpful on this site and I appreciate the advice you have given me. I really feel that through all of our personal battles in our own lives, we become stronger and more able to help those in similar situations.

Guess I'm just going through a rough week. I believe very strongly in God and my husband and also myself, and I hope that is enough to get me past these doubts and insecurities. :thumbsup

6. sonamkumar

sonamkumar Senior IL'ite

Hi ASG,

I know exactly how you feel.

Since once your DH was your MILs puppet and she has not accepted you completely to be her DIL, it is reasonable to be insecure about them.

But you should count your blessing that your DH loves and supports you in every incidence. As long as that happens you can consider yourself any superstar as this is not going to affect you much.

My MIL was very sweet to me till the time she did not come here to stay with us. Once she was here she deliberately came up with somethings to make us fight. She continued that even after going back and wanted to come here again so that we do not have time to go back to our old loving self. My Dh was and is her puppet and she is now trying her level best to control my life. Recently now as everything else failed she is again gone back to her sweet self to get information out of us. So, yes, even if she is sweet now I will always be sceptical of her intentions.

Your case and mine here is little different because your DH had arranged marriage once according to their wish and it did not work out, so your Dh do not trust their decisions now. But for me my Dh had a love marriage before against parents wish which did not work out (I suspect Ils play here) and now does not trust his decisions and purely theirs. So tough for me:bonk

If we are living in fear and insecurity all the time and if it is affecting our lifes , then yes they are still controlling us.
    So I guess your mom here is right just Chillout!

7. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Dear ASG,

Very nice thought to handle my problems..Iam also facing a tough week..

Good luck!

8. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear ASG,

Your MOM rocks !!!:thumbsup
    Anyway, there are many similarities between your position and mine ...particularly about getting paranoid.

I do not think that we can ever stop thinking about these issues...just try our best to divert our mind in our studies, jobs, hobbies, friends, personal life etc.etc.

Also always remember, No one is greater than God- whenever negative feelings come to your mind, think of God, think that GOD is superior than these people and if God was present today, he would love you, no matter what.
    If God was present today, in front of all of us-in person- everybody would be afraid of their misdeeds. In the absence of God, people think that they can do anything and get away with it.

So, rather think about GOD than them, whenever you feel afraid .

Regards,
    "HAPPY"

9. jpstar

jpstar New IL'ite

ASG,
    It's so cool to hear your Mom's words - I am somehow transported to my high school days.

The thing is when I was in high school, I had this bunch of girls who would always have something nasty or bitter to talk about me and that obviously would put me off. I would always talk to my Mom about this and cry. It affected me a lot and that in turn reflected in my performance. So finally one fine day, my mother asked me to compare myself with Madhuri Dixit or Aishwarya Rai for similar reasons and brush it off. :)

See, how Moms are Moms - wherever! :)

P.S. I will come back later with my choice - which celebrity I would like to think of myself as. ;)

10. asuitablegirl

JPstar: You can always change back and forth. :) Now I would like to be Bipasha Basu. I was reading Filmfare this weekend and there was an interview with her and John. You know, she seems like such a tough, confident lady. I really admire her!
    You're right Happy. People forget that God is always with us, always able to see what we've done.

RG: Feels good to know we are all in this thing called 'life' together. We both went through a tough week, what can that mean? Probably that a better week is just around the corner. Today is Monday, let's make this week a good one! :thumbsup

Sonam: My dh confronted his parents this weekend and made it SO clear that both of us did not like stuff that was said. My mil apologized to him saying she didn't mean to cause trouble. So my dh said to her, whether she did or didn't, my wifes feelings got hurt blah blah blah. After his phone chat with her, dh told me that although she is going to be nice now.... be very, very careful and cautious around her. Also said, "her thinking is not likes ours." So like you, I'm going to be skeptical. It's really the best way to be when you have been mistreated in the past. If my dh is nervous himself of his own moms intentions, just imagine how I would be feeling! You know Sonam, I feel it is sometimes hard to be the "second wife." Not because of any different way our husbands treat us.... but because of the emotional baggage our inlaws have. They either compare us to the ex, make us feel not as good as her, or they hold us to impossibly higher standards.

Sounds like I could have wrote this line. Exactly how I felt! But there's one thing I know with 100% certainty.... you can't let the insecurity beat you. If you keep letting the insecurity eat at you it will change you into a different person, a person you don't like. Try to overcome it. It could take a long time (it took 2 years for me), but eventually you will come out on top. :thumbsup

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009