1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean Idli plates

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by birraj, Jul 4, 2009.

1. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends
    I need advice on cleaning the idli plates. I put it in the dishwasher and it is stainless steel it has become black in the cups .. I use olive oil to coat the plates. I have tried cleaning with baking soda, barkeepers friend, vim powder etc..It is not going. Need some advice.

Thanks
    birraj

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

It shudnt become black if put in dishwasher. You can try this method I use. When I put the idli plates to wash , before putting it in dishwasher I thorughly scrub the idli plates in the cups using kitchen scrub.You can or cannot use dishwashing liquid which we use to clean dishes by hand.Then I load the dishwasher with the idli plates and wash it as usual.Try it .It might work. Good Luck.

3. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

Thats a easy tip chocolate.. Thanks.

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Chocolate gave a nice tip..but above all...sometimes the quality of the stainless steel is the main reason for blackening...i have experienced the same with few utensils

Scrub with tamarind then and then as we do for silver utensils

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  5. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Thanks everyone. I always clean the plates first with the dishwashing liquid and then put it in the dishwasher. I think the steel has some mistake thats the reason its getting black.

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

You shudnt worry about that too much. Any steel plates get a little black spots due to cooking in steam. The optimum clean a little bit to our satisfaction can only be done by scrubbing before by hand and then in dishwasher. I do it to all steel vessels I have. This has helped a lot and my steel vessels are shiny to some extent.You can try it too. It works well with all steel vessels.Good Luck.

7. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

to clean the idli plates easily, simply i immerse the idli plates in water overnight and the next morning clean the plates like any other vessel . add a little detergent pd. to the dishwashing pd. without any difficulty we can clean the idli plate simply sparkling. jusy try it out and send me the feedback.

8. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Even i immese idli plates for some time before cleaning them.Cleans very easily.

9. vinayaka1979

vinayaka1979 Senior IL'ite

ditto as chocolate does. just soak the plates in some warm water, scrub off the food scrap and load them in the dishwasher. If it still turns black in spite of all this you might want to consider buying another idli plate set.

10. easycrafts

easycrafts New IL'ite

Good tips..For me no worry at all, all utensils are handwashed..but yes, the problem of salt accumulation troubles me