How to cook weeks food in one day????

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tinaz, Jul 22, 2009.

1. tinaz

tinaz New IL'ite

hi friends,

kindly tell me How to cook weeks food in one day????and how to store it??

i have heard aunty comes and cooks one week or 3 days food in one day
    i want to do the same..

please guide me

thanks n blessings.,

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

It's managed by multi-tasking. When my cook used to come, she would first wash/prep one vegetable and set it to cook. while that was cooking, she would wash/prep some more vegetables. and she would cook them in multiple pots at the same time. then she would make the chappatis/parathas and clean up the kitchen. 3-4 curries and about 25 parathas/chappathis in about 3 hrs.

from your end u need to decide what vegetable curries u want made and make sure and have all the indegrients ready for the cook.

3. easycrafts

easycrafts New IL'ite

You can cut the vegetables and store them in a ziplock cover. For north indian food, the main ingredients are onion paste, tomato paste, potatoes and chapati dough. Boil the potatoes and prepare the pastes and refrigerate. Also make dough for 2-3 days and store it in the fridge. This way the time rqd for cooking food would come down to less than 1/2 hr. All u need to do is plan in advance and take out the items from the fridge a little bit in advance to let it come to room temperature..

4. tinaz

tinaz New IL'ite

thanks a ton pmahensa and easycrafts...northindian husbands are one lazy things
    not like south indian hubbys,,,so i have to do a to z work no help from him
    so i was thinking of cooking and storing altogether

thanks for ur help..

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

no worries .. here is what I do.

On sunday, I peel a bunch of onions and keep them in the fridge in a big ziploc. if you chop them and keep them, they will spoil faster, just peeling works much better. I also peel n keep some garlic and ginger and also chop some chillies and store. alternatively you could use ginger garlic paste but I prefer the fresh kind. now that your basic prep work is done, cooking during the week becomes much easier. you could also boil a couple of potatoes and keep but these generally dont last more than 2-3 days.

for green veggies such as spinach I boil and freeze them. or buy frozen chopped spinach. okra, wipe dry, snip off ends and store in a ziploc. stuff like lauki can be peeled, chopped and stored in fridge for 2-3 days as well.
    make dal/pulses every other day, not every day. cook basic stuff like one daal and one subzi during the week and leave the fancy cooking for the weekend. my staples for the week are bhindi, lauki, shimla-mirch-aloo, karela, gobhi and cabbage, one for each day.

best thing to do is create a menu, do the prep work and then cook fresh when needed. couple months ago, I had started cooking just 2 times per week but soon got tired of eating 2-3 days old food. so now I just do the prepwork on the weekend and cook fresh every other day. for example on monday I'll make a daal and 2 veggies so on tuesday all I make is chappatis.

atta u can make eveyr other day as well. on fridays, I make a bunch of parathas so that I dont have to make those on the weekend. I get a pack of frozen methi, churn it in the processor with some green chillies, salt and ginger and knead it into the flour ... yummy!

6. tinaz

tinaz New IL'ite

thanks pmahensa,,,looks like you are thinking and cooking good work..
    actually i have 6 month old baby so i was thinking of making 3-4 day food and store
    it..
    thanks to all my friends for writing me back..