learning sanskrit and veda chanting

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Sherin Shanker, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Sherin Shanker

Sherin Shanker New IL'ite

Greetings to all,

I am from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and i am seriously intrested in learning sanskrit. I want to improve my namam chantings. If any one of u know and can teach me i will be greatly appreciate.

I m also intrested in veda chanting. Can someone help me please.

thank you.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sherin
    I will movie your post to Religion and spirituality where you will get more views and someone will answer to your queries.

3. bindukrishnan

bindukrishnan New IL'ite

Hello Sherin,
    Learning sanskrit is perfectly fine for anyone, just like learning another language. If you are not able to find a teacher near you, you can try online resources (search for sanskrit online lessons), there are plenty of them freely available on the net.

Veda chanting is men's domain and we need not do it bcos chanting is for the purpose of rituals which are men's duties. I also heard that chanting by women can have negative effects on the body, especially for the uterus since the vibrations are very strong. In our Puranas, we find examples of ladies studying Vedas, but they are only for understanding the meaning and not for chanting.

I only chant shlokas and bhajans and leave the veda chanting to my husband and sons.

Luv
    Bindu

4. tetania

tetania New IL'ite

Hi Sherin
    I never knew that. thanks

5. sai319

sai319 New IL'ite

Hi Bindhu:

We live in the US. We do Somavara puja in our temple doing abisekam to Shiva lingam every monday evening. During the abishekam, our priest chants lagunyasam, Namakam, Chamakam, Purusha Suktham, Narayana Suktham, Sri Suktham, Durga Suktham.. After that, we do other shlokams and finish the abishekam. We started this about 10 years ago in our temple. Actually, I started this abishekam in our temple.
    First time, when we started, our priest made copies of all the above sukthams and gave all of us to chant during the abishekam. About 25-30 people attend this very regularly and more than half of us are ladies. We chant along with our priest and he does not tell us that we ladies should not chant. He lets us chant. Actually, we feel so much peace and feel so blessed to be able to sit so close to the alter and being able to chant. Over the course of 10 years, actually I learnt to chant all the Sukthams correctly and I dont feel I am doing anything wrong by chanting the mantras. I know people say women should not chant veda mantras.
    But what I think is anything done with lots of devotion and commitment God will be pleased. I think it is the intensity of the action that is required than anything else.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    regards,
    Uma

6. gayathriswamy

gayathriswamy New IL'ite

hi Shanker...

I am an aged and professionally teacher... i have been teaching veda for more than 2 years in sri sathya sai baba's school in puttaparthi,, andhra pradesh.. now i am residing in chennai-- india...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  7. Vani99

Vani99 New IL'ite

Do you have lesson available online ?
    thanks

8. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

IIT Madras has a program on teaching Sanskrit. This can be done online or off line by downloading the lessons.

You can also get info on vedas and related matters from their site.
    I do not know if this is against rules. IIT M is a reputed National Institute and the site is safe. Here is the link:

Learn Sanskrit through self study

In my opinion there is nothing wrong in women chanting Vedas.

9. Raadhaa

Raadhaa New IL'ite

Me too! I love the Vedas! When I first heard the Rig Veda, I was blown away. I am learning Classical Sanskrit right now and my teacher says that the sky is the limit and to have a goal of singing the Rig Veda is wonderful. He didn't express any reservations about a woman doing it.

If anyone finds online tools for learning to sing the Rig Veda, I would love to do that!

I don't know anything about shlokas or anything. I know the pronunciation is crucial and I look forward to practicing!

Raadhaa