Why do we go to temple ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 8, 2006.

1. padmininatarajan

padmininatarajan New IL'ite

Dear Chitra

A couple of weeks ago I received this mail that I am quoting:

"A 'devotee' temple goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Temple</st1:City></st1:place> .

“I've gone for 30 years now, he wrote, and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 mantras. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the Gurus are wasting theirs by giving services at all”.

This started a real controversy in the 'Letters to the Editor' column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

“I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this... They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City> for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!”

I hope you all enjoy this.

I am sorry --haven't been in IndusLdies for a while...will do so now. God bless you for taking on issues that are relevant and debatable for all of us.

These may not be the answers that we want, but it makes us think. I keep learning from every post of yours.

Regards

Padmini Natarajan

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Padmini, the incidence you have quoted is most apt!! Our spiritual growth cannot be measured by us in any apparent way. But, those who interact with us must feel that we have evolved! That is more important. Yes, PN, I made a note of your absence in Blogs as well!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear padmini and dear chitra,
    the post and the answer given by chitra madam are nice.
    padmini, i am also padmini new IL. one year old.
    i also read that. that man might have ssid in some kind of frustration and the answer given is very much apt. one is for our spiritual grow. the feelings and the satisfaction when we go to temple is as sugar dissolved in a milk which we only can realize. idhu en siriya arivukku thonriyadhau. what do you say chitra madam?
    with love
    pad.

4. anandivaradan18

anandivaradan18 New IL'ite

dear chithra madam,

first of all, I would like to congratulate you for your classic writings and the way you put in a versatile manner. I admire you madam for your wide knowledge and the generosity to share it with other memebers. At this age, the active participation of yours keeps my mouth wide open with astonishment!!!!!!!.

Your article regarding the temples and valuable information about it is simply superb and though I have already read about it somewhere before, I should appreciate you for your simple and neat explanation about the temples . All your blogs are mind-blowing and no words to appreciate you . You are GOD-MOTHER for all of us.

My namaskarams to you. Please athula yaravathu ungala vida periva irunda suthi poda sollunga .... . Enga chithra aunty ku kannu pada kudathu.

I pray the Almighty to bless with loads of happiness through out the life for you and your family.

regards,
    anandi:thumbsup

5. sathipriya

sathipriya New IL'ite

Wow:cheers
    Your explanation was written so beautifully and I appreciate you sharing this information with all of us. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. Chitvish

Anandi, you overwhelmed me with your love & affection. I am blessed to be interacting with you all!
    Thankyou God, for all these blessings!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Thanks, Sathipriya. Please go through all culture posts to know the answers for many 'whys' in our tradiion!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  8. ramkalyang

ramkalyang Senior IL'ite

Thanks, excellent write-up. even the few minutes one stand in a temple before the god either with the eyes closed or open but with full faith and devotion, The peace you get during those few minutes is unmeasurable.

Wish and pray everyone to get that peace and happiness all through their lifetime

9. behappyalways

behappyalways Silver IL'ite

Very nice info

Really I enjoyed reading this

BHA

10. Chitvish

Dear ramkalyang & BHA,
    \hanks.
    Anty informattion on our culture & traditions is never too much for us!
    Love,
    chithra.