1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think our social, moral values are undergoing a sea change

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by cheer, Jun 17, 2007.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Do you think our social, moral values are undergoing a sea change, when it comes to man-woman relationship?

Recently Delhi High Court passed a ruling in favour of women in live-in relationships. But will this alter the mindset of the society?

</STRSYN>Till recently, a woman living with a man, who was not her husband (however innocent their relationship), was not only castigated by the society, but also prima facie treated as an adulteress. This was used as a fine excuse, by many a husband, to steer clear of paying the maintenance allowance to the estranged spouse, because in the case of adultery, the man is not liable to pay the maintenance. Now all that might change for the better, with Delhi High Court ruling that “Courts should not rush into presumptions’’ of adultery against women on the basis of mere allegations, because this is often used by the husband to deny maintenance. But the million dollar question is, whether this changed outlook of the legal luminaries will alter the mindset of the society, which has been fed on the folklores of Sita and Draupadi—and nothing in-between?
    Do you think our social, moral values are undergoing a sea change, when it comes to man-woman relationship?

2 people like this.

2. ilagandhi

ilagandhi New IL'ite

I do believe things are changing and see positive signs of equality between the sexes. I can discuss my personal situation. I have been married to my husband for 30 years now. We have both had ups and downs in our careers, married live and life in general, but I have never felt he ever behaved in a superior, macho manner during these day to day experiences.

I have always felt like an equal partner in all decisions we have made, therefore based on my personal situation, I would say we are definitely undergoing a sea of positive change.

3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi... so ur a very lucky woman then.....

bye

4. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Hi Cheers,

It sounds good to hear of justice being served to innocent women. But I don't see any good change in the overall social outlook.

Women need to wakeup and understand that their ignorance will cost them their self-respect. There is no point getting involved with a man who can't marry them before they get serious about things. Women surely are the victims as they alone face the shame and men get away with it. But most girls never understand this until they bare the brunt.

A little caution and sense can save many victims from cheating men. I do feel that there has been a drastic change in Indian society, morally deteriorating and social acceptance ???? . Troubled women in urban India get better social acceptance compared to the rural India in such matter.

Morality and social acceptance has definitely undergone a sea change in it's own way in India. It's actually sadenning to see the morals that bind us to righteousness is fading away with social acceptance of immoral acts, not just in women and men relationships but in every aspect, setting a wrong example to the generations to come that it's ok to do the wrong. Every family has a disasterous yyounster at home for sure.

Hope things change to good with social acceptance being supportive but corrective so that the morals would continue to be valued.

1 person likes this.
  5. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Hi Cheers,

It sounds good to hear of justice being served to innocent women. But I don't see any good change in the overall social outlook.

Women need to wakeup and understand that their ignorance will cost them their self-respect and make better choices. There is no point getting involved with a man who can't marry them before they get serious about things. Women surely are the victims as they alone face the shame and men get away with it. But most girls never understand this until they bare the brunt.

A little caution and sense can save many victims from cheating men. I do feel that there has been a drastic change in Indian society, morally deteriorating and social acceptance ???? . Troubled women in urban India get better social acceptance compared to the rural India in such matter.

Morality and social acceptance has definitely undergone a sea change in it's own way in India. It's actually sadenning to see the morals that bind us to righteousness is fading away with social acceptance of immoral acts, not just in women and men relationships but in every aspect, setting a wrong example to the generations to come that it's ok to do the wrong. Every family has a disasterous yyounster at home for sure.

Hope things change to good with social acceptance being supportive but corrective so that the morals would continue to be valued.

6. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Ila & lalitha,

That was good observation. I do think since past couple of yr moral values are under sea change.

Marriage is essentially a man made institution, created to bring some order in Society.In most of other cultures,like Christianity,Islam etc, marriage is only an arrangement,but,in Hinduism it is made out to be a commitment scantified in front of fire and with eloborate rituals and symbolisms.
    It should be remembered that marriage as an institution came about in an essentially agrarian society where,people lived a quiter life,identified with agrarian occupations such as agriculture,support services etc.Females generally took the role of 'home makers and for child birth'while men the 'bread winners'. Men were therefore treated as 'God'as they were essential for sustenance and propagation of the 'family'.But,the basic nature of society has undergone a structural change.Rapid urbanisation has resulted in enormous pressure on land/space.Population density has increased in geometrical proportion,coupled with need to compete for careers(a concept not heard of by our forefathers).Man and women now, compete equally in the work place.There are very few male fifedoms in the work place is concerned.As equal bread winners,women rightfully claim equal status in the 'family'.These trasformations in Society have brought about a need to redifine the institution of marriage and, reevaluate the way man and women relate to each other.Living together outside marriage,marriage between same sexes,single parent families,...etc are some of the changes that one sees.It is not as if some of these,if not all did not exist in the olden times. But,these were happening only in the frindges and usually happened with enormous social consequences to those people indulging in them. But today it is more open and more prevalent. In days to come, as we go down in the road of urbanisation and creating 'mega Cities',perhaps these deviations will be more common, and will be regarded with more tolerance by all.Changes in moral value has therefore to be viewed in light of the overall transformation in society that is taking place.Cannot be viewed in isolation of this.Yes,changes are taking place-for good or bad-depends on individual's perceptions.These perceptions will also undergo a change in time.These are essentially ways by which society adjusts itself to the massive changes taking place in the economic envirioment, and,in my view,natural. Perhaps the Indian Society is in the process of change. Untill it finally evolves itself into acknowledging (if not accepting)these changes as the natural consequences of a more fundamental structural change, these debates will continue as to wether these are good or bad.

2 people like this.
  7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

If social values go for a change that too for good, no problem. But, what will happen if the moral values go for sea change? There will be lot of problems to face for the future generation. It is because of this moral value, we are praised in other countries. No compromise on even a little change in moral values.

Sriniketan

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007