Should opt for Laproscopy or not. PLS ADV

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by PreethiPraveen, Jul 2, 2009.

1. PreethiPraveen

PreethiPraveen New IL'ite

Dear friends,
    This is my story. My age is 25 and weight is 58kg.
    Married on march 08 i was TTC from june08. I am consulting my doc from feb09. I did my 1st US on may09 and was diagonised with PCOS.
    During my Last month cycle( may 09) my follicule size was 0.8 x 0.8 on 9th day and even on 19th day it was still 1.0x1.0 inspite of taking 2 hmg and 1 ovx.
    During my june cycle initially I was given 3 continuous shots of FSH and 1 HMG(on 2nd,3rd,4th ,5th day) . On my 6th day US the follicle size was 0.8x0.8(L.O). 9th day US-0.8x0.8. I was not given any injections after 6th of the cycle. Today is my 14th day and follicle size -1.4x1.2.

But my doctor told me that still it is too small and I hav to go for Lap next month. But I think its too early for me .
    Please advice............I am totally confused and stressed out.And my doc is charging Rs.1600 for each Inducent but the MRP was RS.900 only. Is every hospital charging this rate?

2. hoping4best

hoping4best New IL'ite

dear preeti.

you are in the same situation as i was. though i was not having any problem but was not conceiving. my doctor asked for laproscopy and heteroscopy whicxh costed a good bit of money. laparoscopy showed that both my tubes were blocked. and due to husband sperm problem we were told that IVF is our only option. and for IVF to be successful doctors said i have to again go for laparoscopy to have the tubes blocked completely to aviod etopic pregnancy.i was furious why was i not told the details earlier.

but when i went for second opinion doctor did HSG test which my first doctor never even mentioned and it showed that my right tube was open. so with one tube fully functional. am currently on my first IUI 2WW

in brief what i am saying is donot go for laproscopy directly. go for HSG test first and if it shows some problems (which i pray never happen) then go for laparocopy and also discuss before hand if the tubes need to be removed or blocked with your doctor. Also HSG sometimes open ups blocked tubes and is less expensive and less painful the laparoscopy.

pls disscuss indetail with your doctor . and best wishes.

3. PreethiPraveen

Hi friend ,
    Thanx for the reply. I did the HSG test on may09 and my tubes were completely normal. The only problem is PCOS. MY doc said that the cysts are not allowing the follicle to develop and so she is opting for lap. Is there any way to avoid lap? Is lap the only way for me to conceive?

4. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Dear Preethi,

It is good to know that your tubes are not blocked...My story is similar to yours...Iam 25 and my weight is 56 kgs.My two tubes are open and I had PCOs alone....My HSG report showed a n abnormality in the shape of my uterus and my doctor wanted to do a Lap+Hysterescopy for that and performed ovarian drilling for PCOS.

Since you do not have any other problem except PCOS,I suggest you get a second opinion before going for a Lap.Since you are young and your weight is also normal,PCOS can be controlled through medications and surgery is not the only option.....

5. PreethiPraveen

Dear Rajalakshmi,
    Thanx for the inf.............Even i planned to get a 2nd opinion. Iam planning to quit my current doc and start afresh after 2 months. Can u provide me the details abt which doc u r consulting?
    Cheers.....:cheers

6. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

Hi preethi
    even i think its too early for you to go for a laproscopy . Wait for few more months and see there is any improvemnt with medicine.
    And get a second openion. Even if you are not over weight take care of your diet.
    Lots n lots of baby dust
    regards
    ani

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Preethi,

I think you should go for a second opinion. as long as the cysts are small and are not haemorrogic, you do not need an removal.

I think I read you are from kovilambakkam. you could refer to Dr.Vasundara in B.M hospital, referred by one of our Ilite AnithaA has discussed her treatment too here. she comes to the clinic near vanuvampet too and heard recently that 8/9 out of 10 cases have been success...

8. PreethiPraveen

Dear Ani and Shanthi,
    thanx for the adv.......I wouly defintely get a second opinion......
    Cheers....:cheers

9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Preethi,
    I would also recommend to consult another gynec....

One of my friend showed no follicle growth in her last cycle & got much worried. She changed gynec & scan center and now she could see good follicle growth in this cycle. So don't get worried...
    New doc will get you good hopes...
    Baby dust to you...

10. PreethiPraveen

thanx vasu for the adv........I will surely consult another gyn....