1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

New to Charlotte

Discussion in 'Indians in Charlotte' started by medharaghav, Jun 30, 2009.

1. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hello every one

I am coming to Charlotte for the first time.. i am in packing mood.. but i am kind of confuse what should i bring with me..
    please help me from your experience

regards
    Medha

2. Anudina

Anudina New IL'ite

Hi Medha,

Nice to hear about ur arrival to charlotte. I was in charlotte for 2 years and now moved to greenbay.
    Charlotte is gud place to live.Lots of Indian faces. But its for sure, in summer its veryvery hot. Winters are not that bad. If you quickly make friends u can enjoy.
    Then regarding our shopping theres lots of indian groceries and im sure you will get all that u get in india. If you really want something to bring better opt for the mixie and wet grinder,rest all u will get here.
    Shopping is fun in concord and northlake mall. Lots of picnic places to engage ur weekends....
    So no worries just njoy.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  3. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Anudina

Thanks for your post. Iam feeling much better and more confident after reading your mail.. can u guide me about the cloth packing.. because i am newly wed and i really have no idea how many sari, chudidar i should carry..

Regards
    Medha

4. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Medha,
    Welcome to Charlotte:)If you are coming here on a short term basis its better to bring only a few basic items.
    It will be good to bring a pressure cooker,a tawa,idli steamer,few ladle/spoons or whatever is required to start cooking immediately.
    If your husband is already in US just check with him what all items he can arrange here/is already here in the kitchen;so that you can pack accordingly.
    You get all spice powders & other grocery items;if you want you can bring some homemade snacks/powders.
    For grinding I am adjusting using a blender purchased over here.You can either bring it from India if you have long term plans or buy it here.
    If you are religious person bring the pooja items/God pics
    Regarding dress,since its summer bring some cool cotton kurtis/tops.You wont be wearing sarees regularly so pack 2-3 so that you can use it during special occassions.Pack few chudidhar also...winter wear you can get it here.

Hope you have a pleasant & safe journey.I will let you know if anything more comes in my mind

5. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Ammukutty

Thanks for the detailed information.. since my husband is already there so most of my kitchen stuff he is taking care..

Will you please tell me in detail about the weather condition there.
    i will be coming there in the first week of September .

My mom is saying to pack most of the woolen cloths . In which month winter will set it and when summer sets in..

Thanks again.. i am happy to see i have so many friends who are willing to help me..

Cheers
    Medha

6. Ayu

Ayu New IL'ite

It starts to get cooler in November and the spring sets in around march. You may need a light jacket in october and sometimes in april. This past winter we had snow couple times.

You'll do fine here..dont worry.

7. medharaghav

medharaghav New IL'ite

Hi Ayu

I am kind of confused again should i bring all winter wear like snow jacket, coats , shawl?
    more over is the weather comfortable to wear sari..
    as such i wear chudidar, sari jeans.. but i am kind of lost how many pairs of dressess i should bring..
    what type of house hold items i should bring..
    do we get Chakla , belan there..

8. vinodgargg

vinodgargg New IL'ite

I am going to move in charlotte by the end of this month.. can you please advice where should I live? I have two kids 8 yr and 4yr.. how is the univercity area? we are going to work in haris Blvd..Ibm drive?
    please suggest where should we live? plz advice if any indian community in north charlotte?

9. Shubaa

Shubaa New IL'ite

Hi All,

I will be moving to Charlotte soon. I am looking for making new friends there. Could you plz help me with this.

Thanks.