1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

signed on blank sheet?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by vpriya, Jun 24, 2009.

1. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    My dh signed few blank sheets and gave it to his parents few years back. they asked it becos of some thing to do with bank accounts, but they didn't do it, so now they have those signed papers.
    is it legally valid? do we have to worry abt it? can they use as they wish? i mean now the terms are not ok with inlaws and dh and so he is worried.
    any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Priya

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Is he worried or you ;) j/k

I don't understand how it could have helped then either. A paper signed document is not valid, a stamp paper signature is. Also it should have witness signatures (notary etc). One can always back off saying that he was either coerced or it wasn't his signature at all.

3. NewWoman

NewWoman Senior IL'ite

Nandshyam is right. I had to give some papers to my dad before coming to the US for bank purposes. I had to write a letter, saying that I would be out of the country etc. It was on stamp paper with both mine and dad's signature, witnessed and signed by notary. Only then it is considered valid. Signature on blank paper is quite worthless for any legal purpose. So don't worry take care.

4. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi Nandu,
    Even i thought that stamped paper with signature is valid, but becos he is soo worried last few days abt it, he is making me stress out too. before their relationship was ok, only i had problems with inlaws, now i just try to ignore and carry on (thanks to IL) but now dh is getting stressed out as he had few heated arguments with his dad.

Thanks,
    Priya

5. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thanks Newwoman.

6. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

I think it is really sad that your husband thinks that his parents would cheat him just because he had some arguments with them. UNLESS he has valid reasons to believe that his parents have NO morals or ethics, it is really wrong on his part to suspect them and speculate that they could misuse his signatures for evil purposes.

If they have previously proven to lack ethics, then the ideal thing to do is to issue a gazette notification in a few leading newspapers, stating that your husband had issues blank signatures to certain persons and that any documents that are drawn up using those papers are null and void. This should cover his butt, but will ruin his relationship with his parents for good.