Madhubani painting from Bihar

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by meerapodwal, Mar 31, 2009.

1. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

Does anyone know about Madhubani painting from Bihar. Some one told me the other day about it, comparing it to the miniature painting of Rajasthan. Although, it is true that art knows no geographical boundaries, please throw some light on this form of art.
    Thanks in advance

2. poonamsinha

poonamsinha New IL'ite

Bihar or Mithila is the origin of Madhubani painting or Mithila Painting. Tradition states that this style of painting originated at the time of the Ramayana, when King Janak commissioned artists to do paintings at the time of marriage of his daughter, Sita, to Lord Ram.

The women of villages around the present town of Madhubani (the literal meaning of which is forests of honey) and other areas of Mithila have traditionally done Madhubani painting. The painting was traditionally done on freshly plastered mud wall of huts, but now it is also done on cloth, hand-made paper and canvas.

As Madhubani painting has remained confined to a compact geographical area and the skills have been passed on through centuries, the content and the style have largely remained the same. Madhubani paintings also use two dimensional imagery, and the colors used are derived from plants. Ochre and lampblack are also used for reddish brown and black respectively.

3. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

This is great piece of information! Madhubani has always been fascinating form of art. They are also the prime attractions in any Craft Mela. I too have a small (they are quite expensive :)) yet beautiful Madhubani painting with me which my SIL had presented to me. Its a treasure!

I have heard that traditionally, Madhubani painting was one of the skills that was passed down from generation to generation in the families of the Mithila Region, mainly by women. It was usually done on walls during festivals, religious events, and other milestones of the life-cycle such as birth, Upanayanam (Sacred thread ceremony), and marriage. That sounds interesting, isn't it?

Can anybody share the story behind the commercialization of Madhubani paintings in its present form from the erstwhile traditional festive art form.

4. ashwiniyadav01

ashwiniyadav01 New IL'ite

Hi Friends, I found some really interesting information on this unique and popular art from Bihar. Thought of sharing with you all.
    Anyone here who has a Madhubani painting adorning your wall?

5. RanjaniPandey

RanjaniPandey New IL'ite

Hello Friends, thought of sharing this beautiful Madhubani painting for all of you who haven't seen any.
    Let me know what you think of this meticulous art form.

[​IMG]

6. Candleart

Candleart Senior IL'ite

Superb !! Where can I designs for Madhubani painting ?

7. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Wow that was awesome madhubani painting, very bright and colorful and different avtars of women and well shown :thumbsup
    thanks for sharing Ranjani!

8. SabinaKhanna

SabinaKhanna New IL'ite

Thank you Ranjani for updating us on this beautiful art from Bihar (formerly, Mithila). I have seen Madhubani artists demonstrating their art in several craft Melas; but this picture you have posted is really an eye opener.

A few questions....if anyone can answer:
    How much do Madhubani paintings cost? And how do we determine the authenticity of the art form?

Thanks Again.

9. poonamsinha

poonamsinha New IL'ite

Well Sonia, Madhubani paintings are done with mineral pigments prepared by the artists and it was originally done on freshly plastered or a mud wall. However, considering the commercial aspect, it is now done on paper, cloth, canvas etc. Cotton wrapped around a bamboo stick forms the brush.

• Black colour is obtained by mixing soot with cow dung;
    • Yellow from turmeric or pollen or lime and the milk of banyan leaves;
    • Blue from indigo;
    • Red from the kusam flower juice or red sandalwood; green from the leaves of the wood apple tree;
    • White from rice powder;
    • Orange from palasha flowers.
    The colors are applied flat with no shading and no empty space is left. Don't you think, we can be proud of our rich tradition and heritage? Bow

1 person likes this.