Non-Vegeterians are Sinners??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ValuableTime, Jun 19, 2009.

1. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaughWas LMAO reading this...

Bon appetite !![/quote]

mmmmmmm.. with what?? khichdi?? I'm actually craving some khichi and kadhi.. :coffee

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Oh I wish. Actually we're just having the lentil with plain rice. I'm *supposed* to be busy with homework and studying for an exam on Monday. But maybe I will heat up some frozen kachoris when hubby gets home from work. Yummy!

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

VT
    Woooow!! People really have time here.

Who cares who eats what.. As long you are happy , story ends. If you think others are ABLE to make you feel guilty, then look deeper. Some corner of your heart is nursing a hidden guilt, which comes alive with insinutaions from others.

Your logic of Spinach and animal is really ridiculous. On same basis, You could go and slaughter your enemy human being and replace with Bag of Spinach.. I hope it helps you see how bizzare is that. Spinach grows back each time you chop it, your chicken or animal cease to exist each time you cook one. Point is regenerative growth versus mortal existence.

Besides that, I really find all other religious stuff mentioned here pretty distorted. There is more to purans , manusmiriti and upnishads than mentioned here. Half cooked knowledge is worse than ignorance. So folks if anyone really interested to quote it, please go do your homework than googling the excerpts. Quoting a scripture in part with no contexts just insults rich legacy hinduism has.

Ria

Visu2k likes this.
  4. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Ria just my thoughts!

If you eat non-veg, eat it like a lion does :thumbsup and never have regrets, just because a rhino feels you are awful :cheers

5. ValuableTime

ValuableTime Senior IL'ite

Thanks all.
    ASG, your reasoning really helped me to view from a Veg's view. I never thought like that before. Thanks.
    I have to say here, my comparison of spinach with meat was a mess. I was trying to push it as far as possible to prove that Non-Veg are not different from Veg ppl.
    Nandhu's posts gave a wake up call about animal slaughtering. Thanks for that.
    Now, having said all these, I need to place my words here. Not all Veg stay that way thinking about animal's life. Most of them stay that way because of religion or by any other personal choices. Infact, some dont even let any kind-of animal inside their house nor have any love for them. And, also there are a bunch of them who disgust the Non-Veg ppl with the sin formula. It happens. Another kind-of mocking happens for Vegans by Non-Veg ppl. Well, as a person who had gone through such mocking sessions, it was difficult for me to think for the Veg ppl (those who care about a Animal's life). And, now ASG helped me to see this point too and I have to accept that, Veg ppl have more burden than Non-Veg.
    Anyone lives their life as the way they want. If Vegan's(ppl who really think about Animal's life) want the Non-Veg ppl to change, they must know how to do it. Disrespecting the Non-Veg ppl is definitely not a good option. There is always a right way to do it.
    I am glad that I opened such a thread and I really could see various views getting poured in here.

6. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

I am a new ILite and I thoroughly enjoy reading the informative threads which give lots of fresh inputs.

Here I would just like to add my experience. I am a vegetarian and I was made to feel guilty by my friends when I said that I do not eat meat. I never bother much with others eating habits, but in our particular friends group I was the only vegetarian. Since then I have become very cautious discussing eating habits around people bcos I do not know when someone may take offence unknowingly. :)

7. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

I think you are justified with your feeling. I am a vegeterian, but then I follow the policy of eat and let eat. :). Though that was on a lighter vein, but I feel whatever it is, whether vegetable or meat, it is food for someone and food is sacred. No one has the right to comment or hurt the feelings of others based on what they see in their plate.

I always sit with friends for lunch and most of them are non vegetarians. And I have seen friends during hostel days who would do so much drama on days when they served non-veg in the mess! They would refuse to come to the mess and we had to take food to them in dabbas to their rooms and still they would refuse etc.

If people start thinking of all that, then they should not even be wearing leather shoes, they should not be drinking milk(sinning by depriving the calf of its mother's milk), they should not be eating potatoes/ root vegetables, green leafy vegetables etc (uprooting a plant as a whole) and the list can go on and on.

As many previous replies say, I too would say that its upto an individual about their choice of food and that definitely should not be a basis for bias or even terming as sinful or otherwise.

8. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

hi ,

SAATVIK food is always best & harmless than rajo & thamas

you know food influences our health , mind ETC & we can get all the nutrients from a veg food...... then why should we go for a NV diet? just for the sake of our tastebuds ... at the cost of other lives ...... oh no!!! plz think in that way!

if you could convert yourself into a herbivore ... then i can say your thread has done something great!

9. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

Dear VT:
    I am a vegetarian by birth and by choice. I believe:

1. Life on earth is part of a food chain, of one life form eating another life form to exist.
    2. There is absolutely no sin in being a non-vegetarian. On the contrary, it is a sin to say that. It shows poor tolerance to a fellow human's food habits. It is also a sin to refuse food that has been offered in prayer even if you dont practice that religion.

Because FOOD IS GOD (extension of God is everywhere) and all living creatures need to eat food to live.

10. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

i agree with viveka, being non-veg is not a sin, its not a right or worng thing, its someone's choice, its their lifestyle and no one has the right to comment on whether it is a sin or not a sin.