Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 2)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

vazhathandu - in stelton road, there is a grocery store, now run by sri lankans, she brings in fresh vazhai ezhai, thandu( on request) and also all flowers..

I forgot the store.. its called south indian specalities if I remember correctly.. she used to be next to shoprite in oak tree road, then she moved to the street next to swagat complex.. she used to bring all these from india as well. u will get all authentic south indian stuff there.. That was my "the" place.. till she closed months back.. not sure if shes still open.. check it out.

karunai kizhangu - u get it in the big subzi mandi opposite to sukadia.. always..

mosambi juice - next to binnys in oak tree, there is this galaxy place.. lots of food stalls - food at cheap rate.. there is a juice stall too.. u get different type of juice.. sugarcane juice la irunthu naraiya variety irukku.. try pannunga..

I have this allergy :( itches varum.. athaan I dont have it.. but i cheat sometimes and have it at friends place or restuarants. husbandkkum pidikaathu.. so i dont cook this at home..

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

3. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra Ma'am,

Best Wishes to the newly married couple! Thanks for keeping us updated with the latest in wedding trends back home.

Made the foll. last week..
    Cold Cucumber Soup, Creamy Carrot Soup & Masoor Dhal Soup- Relished each one of them, have become family favorites & will be repeated often.

Strawberry Smoothy, Mango Ginger Smoothy- I used to make smoothies before with just milk, but following your recipe this time, saw that the addition of yogurt took the taste to another level. It was delicious!!

Hyderabadi Khichdi- Made Tomato Gojju as side dish, was skeptical of the combo, but it turned out great. Jiffy & nutritious...comfort food at it's best. Will be a keeper.

Thanks a ton.
    Regards,
    Ragini

4. siva_sundari

siva_sundari New IL'ite

hi ma,

the pavakkai sambar i made today was heavenly...i usually make pitlai with pavakkai...but today i tried sambar...exactly tasted like the one i had at my neighbor's place back in india...appolam avaa kitta recipe kekkanumnu thonala...i never thought i would so why bother asking thme? you changed everything...thanks a lot...also made mysore rasam with it...

love
    sivagami

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

P, plain puzangarisi kanji is first best or simple sago kanji, depending on the upset-intensity! :)
    In Chennai, even after flats have sprung up, we do not have the heart to uproot marudani chedis & the trend still continues!
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

P, congrats! Lovely arrangement just as we have at home!
    You asked for suggestions, right?? A sprig or two of cilantro leaves in the raitha might have enhanced the colourful look. But, it is very good!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Ragini,
    Nice to receive your FB. Hyderabadi Khichdi is such a plain dish that exept raithas, any spicy dish will go with it!
    Adding curds to (atleast a little) tart fruits makes it very tasty.
    Do try the Italian potato sop - absolutely delicious!
    I am suggesting this because you seem to love soups! :-D
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

Dear sivagami, for any kuzambu in pavakkai sauting the choppeds veg on a low fire reduces the bitterness very much. Please do not scrape, apply salt, wash in water etc to remove bitterness. The goodness of the veg is completely lost!
    It is nice to know that you have developed interest in cooking. But remember, sustaining it is most important.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. mom_of_2boys

mom_of_2boys Silver IL'ite

dear chitra mami

these days it is getting very busy with a lot of planning about cooking stuff .. hav to plan for feeding 3 men and 2 boys :) . today evening dinner was karaicha dosai (with a whole bunch of flours - whatever i could lay my hand on) with onion tomato chutney. dosai itself is a lot of work for mass feeding and karaicha dosai takes even more time bcoz we got to be standing at the aduppu for the whole time. but of course at the end, it tasted very good and every one enjoyed it.

tomorrow for lunch i have made murungakai sambar with beans curry.

luvs
    shyamals.

10. Chitvish

S-s, one woman:five males??
    For karaicha dosai, make a dough like for oothappams, add little fruit salt, mix well & make small pancakes - 5,6 at a time in a big tava. See my cucumber oothappam size. I keep 2 tavas for more than 3 people at a time.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.