1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How many of us are using echo friendly products here in USA??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by madhurisatya, Jun 6, 2009.

1. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Hi Tashi,

Thanks for sharing useful information.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The thing that is bad is triclosan. The only place that I sometimes use it is in the kitchen due to food prep. Constant use of it kills the natural flora on the skin and then you have other problems due to that.

I have a clothes line that I use (in the backyard) in the summer but we have so many rains here that you cannot rely on using exclusively. One trick that I use is this: I tumble the load of wash in the dryer for maybe 5 mins to fluff up the stuff and then dry on line or racks. You will keep from shrinking stuff that way also but not have a mass of wrinkles. I use Fisher Paykel for my machines and I love them. The washer is perfect for a household full of washing ignoramuses (teenagers, husbands....) because you just program the load, put in detergent and it will weigh the contents, fill to perfect level, set water temp automatically. If the machine goes out of balance it will refill and respin (and shake it a little also) so hopefully it spins out without someone running to it.

3. tadasari

tadasari New IL'ite

I use all earth friendly products - on the house, on my skin, in my hair. I follow the rule "if you wouldn't eat it, don't put it on your skin" and I try my best to clean using lemon juice, vinegar, etc. I use a lot of homemade recipes (furniture polish: 3 parts olive oil, 1 part lemon juice!).

Anti-bacterial soaps are also bad for our health. We are meant to have natural bacteria - the good ones - that fight for us. These are maintained by eating traditional foods and esp. fermented foods. Anti-bacterial soaps kill the good with the bad, and nature's defenses are then wiped out.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Tadasari:
    Agree 100% about the normal flora. I have to say though that your furniture polish if used on antiques will ruin them. Better to use bees wax heated and mixed with a little linseed oil and kept in closed container. Another good thing to use is lemon oil which is available in USA with other polishes. You can also use that on the inside of glass shower doors to make them look great and repel soap scum.