Visiting 'Apple Town' Rohru

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by uttarkideepika, Mar 28, 2009.

1. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

Hey Friends, I forgot to mention one more thing. <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Do you know, earlier tons of apples plucked from the orchards of Rohru were decomposed as they failed to reach the markets or find buyers who would pay the farmers the appropriate price. The farmers even considered it a loss making deal to carry boxes of apples to the nearby town or city and then find half of the apples rotten during transportation all the way from Rohru.

However, in the last few years the scenario has changed. Now the farmers of the '<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Apple</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Town</st1:placetype></st1:place>' Rohru find buyers that include big industrial houses lined up right to their orchards and offering a price for the apples. Some have even constructed their own cold storage plants for apples in Rohru. Now. isn't that a great news?

Share your thoughts on this new development.

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Deepika

I recently read "An American in Gandhi's India", the biography of Mr. Stokes, an American who came as a missionary to India in the early 1900's. He fell in love with Simla and the surrounding areas and settled down there. He researched and found out the right apple trees that will grow in that area and imported them from the US with his mother's help. He is responsible for all the apple orchards, the upliftment of the pahadis' lives through the sales of the apples.
    Until then, there were no apples in that region.
    Thought of sharing this bit of information.

3. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

Hi Sundarusha, Thanks a lot for sharing this interesting fact with us. I haven't read this book "An American in Gandhi's India", but I'm sure it has several interesting facts like the one you shared. Thanks to Mr. Stokes (if he really brought apple trees around Shimla). I'm sure there must be several theories to contradict that. Anyone listening?? :)

Please share with us more interesting facts from Mr. Stokes biography on India.

Thanks

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

5. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sundarusha for leading us to such interesting facts on Himachal apples and how it came to India. I do see the label 'Red delicious ' stuck to apples; but never really knew or thought about the history behind it. Now that I know it....the Apples are surely going to taste even better. :)

Oh! Many of my friends may not know the history of 'Red delicious' apples. Here's an except from an article for all of you there....

Isn't that interesting? Share your thoughts.

Happy posting!

Sonia

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

You are most welcome Sonia. If you get a chance, do read the biography of Samuel (Satyanand) Stokes. I found it a source of inspiration to read his self sacrifices to uplift the pahadi community.

7. poonamsinha

poonamsinha New IL'ite

Great information Sundarusha! Thanks a lot. Its really inspiring to read about Samuel Stokes who came to India on a casual visit and stayed back till his death. He was supposedly the only American to have taken part in India's independence movement.

But everything was not smooth going for him initially. The locals suspected him to be a missionary who has come to convert Hindus. But he proved them wrong and himself got converted to Hinduism. He was so impressed by the simple lives of the sadhus whom he met on their way enroute to Kailash that he thought, it was a tougher to practice religion in Hinduism other than Chistianity, where the Church Bishop had good food to eat and silk robes to wear. He even embraced Arya Samaj and changed his name to Satyanand.

But still locals would treat him as outcaste....because he as a Westerner used to eat in porcelein crockeries unlike the locals who used Brass utensils. But...he never ceased to work for the upliftment of the locals and particularly the Thanedar area. And love finally won them over.....

Hope I got the gist right....very inspiring story....
    :coffee

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Poonam

you got the gist of his life story. Let me add that he went ahead and married a young Pahadi girl of Christian faith. He raised his children as hindus after his conversion. The biography is written by his granddaughter Asha Sharma.

9. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

Hello Everybody,

I'm amazed to read such wonderful information on Rohru. I've been there so many times but me and my family get so busy with the apples and the beauty of the place that never really got to hear these lovely tales about Rohru.:)

I'm sure my next visit to the 'Apple Town' will be a inspiring one. I love visiting the Hatkoti temple enroute to Rohru. Have you visited Hatkoti?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">