1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone needs Dental advice - Please post ur problems

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by hema_gladston, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

AG ,

I agree that the Dentist did the crown cutting.. But was just wondering how you got so convinced ! While I was sitting here in US and
    telling you..shakehead

Anyways.. I hope that 1st Dentist of yours doesnt curse me for moving her patient ! :bonk

Even if she does, who cares.. Patient health is the most important and not your gimicks ! I didnt tell you straight away to change your Dentist.. but almost did :mrgreen: .. Thank God you got the message finally..

Take care..

2. vandannav

vandannav Senior IL'ite

hello Drpreethis

I need your suggestion,

History of the teeth:i had the crown done for the 19th teeth about eight years ago and i did not have any problem what so ever untill now,just last year a very very small part of the crown broken(the croner edge),no problems what so ever.

last month i visited dentist for cavity filling in one of my tooth.
    he tooks xray before doing any thing he suggested to go for deep cleaning of the teeth ,to remove the tartar and also suggested that i go for crown replacement,my husband said when we decided to do deep cleaning we will also go for crown replacement.

on may 26 2009 i went to dentist ,he would remove the old crown and replace it with temporary crown,take the impression and replace with new permananet crown in due course of time.that day ,he numbed the tooth, took out the old crown replaced with temporary crown and says the pulp sapce got exposed , i saw pool of blood u need to do root canal on the same and one more thing he grinded the enamel of the upper teeth which was right above the 19th teeth,the dentist says the crown broke because of the upper teeth and he did so in order to prevent breakage of further crowns.

today i went to endodontics docotor he took xray of 19th teeth , he says there is no infection or bacteria or any sort of thing,now i do not feel any pain or sensitivity,we asked if this is must(root canal) ,he says we are doing this procedure in benefit of doubt.we said we will think about it.

we decided to skip the root canal and go for the crown itself.

what do you suggest.

Now i think i should not have gone for the crown replacement at all.

Iam confused help me.

one more thing the temporary crown he put on may 26 2009 did break,i hardly chewed for less than a minute for like two or three times,that too very soft food ,just to check if there is any pain.

Thanks
    Vandannav

3. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Vandana ,

First of all a broken crown needs to be replaced. So, no second thoughts about it. :)

Second, did you have a deep filling below that crown ? If yes, then while cleaning it and if the filling is already close to the pulp there are chances of pulp exposure. You said your crown was broken at the edge. This give a high risk of decay to the inside. Your Dentist should have tried to remove the entire decay and that is when it hit the pulp. So, it is not your Dentist's fault at all .
    Once the pulp is exposed, the treatment could either be ' indirect pulp filling ' or Root canal Treatment.

Whatever it is ' the pulp needs to be protected ' . Period. So, if two of your Dentists tell you to go for a RCT.. then you better follow it. They are only doing it as a future precaution. If you insist to go ONLY for the crown, then it is a risk you would be taking iff there is pain and infection of the tooth in the future where at the crown will have to be removed for the RCT .. during the removal, the Dentist would not give any assurance on the crown as it may break while removal.

That is what the Endodontist meant by ' benefit of doubt ' ! You must understand that.. the one who benefits here is YOU. :)

If you want my honest opnion - trust your dentist and go for the RCT. You will be fine. Place the crown after that.

Take care..

4. vandannav

vandannav Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the reply Drpreethi.

Under the crown,its broken teeth,i guess it might have had mercury filling,what i did not understand is,according to dentist ,the pulp space got exposed back when the first crown was put in .....i am little confused there,if thats the case ,would it not have hurt by now in these past 8 years.and also he says who ever did the crown put a medicated layer.

regards
    vandannav.

5. shilpashree

shilpashree New IL'ite

Hey
    So happy to see this post.. I have a prob - my gums bleed a lot when i brush my teeth.. I feel really bad to see blood getting lost everyday... Can u plzzz lemme know why does this happen???

Thanks in advance,
    Shilpa

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Yes, Vandana . Your Dentist is right. When the pulp got exposed during the 1st crown placement the Dentist would have done something called
    ' Indirect pulp capping ' . Which means protecting the pulp by just
    ' capping ' it with some medicated cement. Since the exposure was very minute the medicated cement would protect the pulp and would not cause pain to you. If the crown hadnt got chipped of on the side then it means no need of replacement. WHich also wouldnt have lead you to replace the deep mercury filling.

Now, when you had been for the crown replacement, your Dentist has opened the old filling as it has to checked for decay below ( since it is a silver filling and the crown above it had got fractured ) .. When he removed the filling , the medicated cement also would have come off with this which is obvious. He would have realised that there has been a pulp exposure earlier. Now, not all Dentist of these times would go for pulp capping twice. It is a risk. Hence he suggested RCT.

Going for an RCT and then replacing the cap is the best treatment. You could also ask if the Dentist can just put a medicated cement on it and redo the filling instead of RCT. He will tell you , it is your risk. Well, if you are willing to take the risk then it is entirely upto you. The Dentists just want to make sure you are aware if there could be a decay below the crown may go waste in the future. That is all.

I wouldnt say it is the worst risk you can take, as I have seen some patients have had no problem at all in such cases. But have also seen, patients coming back less than a year with pain below the crown.

So it is entirely upto you . :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Happy to have you here too, Shilpa !! :)

Probabaly when we bleed on our fingers, we do not feel this bad as we know it will stop in sometime.. The bleeding from our mouth will be so less as compared to that.. but since it mixes with saliva and happens everyday when we spit put the toothapaste lather, it seems painful !! :)

Ok, now coming to your problem.. Your gums bleed simply because it requires a cleaning. Though you brush religiously, a scaling ( cleaning ) once every 6 months is a MUST. The Dentist would remove the tartar from all around your teeth that you possibly didnt know existed ! :)

So, just fix an appointment with your Dentist and get your scaling done.

Take care.

8. ktg

ktg Senior IL'ite

Very glad to hear people like this. Hats off to you Hema....

When I brush my teeth, my gums bleed (only under one tooth). But only during brushing. No other time. No burning sensation etc. Also if I eat sweets or drink chilled product(s), then it pains a lot in that tooth alone. Please suggest me a medication.

9. greenpen

greenpen New IL'ite

Hi I am new to this forum. I also have a similar problem...my gums bleed a lot when I brush my teeth. I tried switching to those soft bristle brushes but it still bleeds. I brush my teeth for about 3minutes (as suggested by my dentist) but even then my gums will bleed...

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Greenpen and Preethi ,

I guess there is no different answer from what I had advised Shilpa. Since you both have agreed that it is the ' same problem ' regarding the bleeding gums.. So, the advise to treatment is the ' same ' too ! :)

Preethi,

The single tooth you are referring to which reacts to cold and hot food is because of decay or crack in the tooth which may not be visible to you.. Just get an Xray done for this particular tooth. Over time it could become worse.. so time for an appointment ! :)

Greenpen,
    You are requested to remove the external link in your signature. Since you are a new member I assume you were unaware that external links are not allowed with signatures. Esp. the ones with self promotion or whatsoever. Please remove it else it will be manually removed by us. Thank You.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009