1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby fearing & crying for small noise

Discussion in 'Infants' started by spari, Jun 2, 2009.

1. spari

spari Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Im new mom & my baby boy is close to 5 months.

My few words to moderators & others:
    I feel this one of the valuable forums i have seen . I have now started to search first in IL Forums before using google for my needs.

My problem is when my baby hears during sneezing sound(even small clearing throat sound) /cooker whistle sound / pulling chairs sound he starts to cry immediately.
    Im much worried that he is getting frightened for even small clearing throat sound. My parents feel its quite abnormal.
    Even while sleeping if he hears little noise , he jerks immediately and he wakes of from sleep.

He is under bottle feed both BM +FM feed from 3.5 months weighs 7 Kgs now.

Does babys will get used to all noise as they grow ? Im confused a lot, what im missing in my support.
    Since i have to be back to work from next week, thinking whether shall i postpond.

Moderators and others plz provide ur suggestions & help.

Thanks,
    Suganthi

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Your baby is quite NORMAL so don't worry. At this age they understand some things but not all, and anything unusual worries them. My son did the same and only now at 9 months of age, have we taught him not to cry at the sound of a sneeze. what I did was that whenever someone sneezed, I would do a couple of fake sneezes. that would make him laugh and soon, he stopped crying at the real ones too.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Sounds like your baby is one of the "sensitive" ones - there are many babies who are very sensitive to the smallest environmental stimulation - sounds, swaddling, some kinds of clothes, textured foods, even things like walking barefoot on grass or sand. Some of this will be outgrown and a lot of it they will learn to adapt to. For the sleeping part I found a "white noise" generator (in our case a table fan with a hum) very soothing; it blocked out all the other noise and let my son sleep peacefully. As he grows up if you find that this hypersensitivity is a problem then there are ways to help with that.

Vanathi.

4. camayluxdove

camayluxdove New IL'ite

Hi Suganthi
    DOnt worry, quite normal for some babies to feel that way. Like Vanathi said must be the sensitive one.
    My DS laughs when we sneeze but yeah he doesnt cry but definitely gets scared on the cooker whistle and mixer sound(can make out by his face expressions).
    Yeah even he used to jerk when in sleep earlier but he has come out of that now.

Cathy

5. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

hi suganthi
    my LO, and in fact my niece, nephew all of them used to get scared for small noises from close proximity, at this age, but louder sounds heard at a distance, they wouldn't get scared with. i think your kid will overcome this fear as he grows. like pmahensa said, make him get used to the common noise around like sneezing, objects falling down, clearing throat etc (dont overdo though) and you will soon find him fine.

6. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

It is common and will pass soon.

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I have a quick question for you Suganthi. Did you and your family tip toe around your baby when he was a newborn? A good friend of mine told me not to tip toe around the baby when she's sleeping, but use vacuum cleaner, mixer etc. to get her used to the common household noises and that's what we did.

Whenever Riya used to be scared of someting, we would re-introduce that to her slowly making a big deal out of it, and making it fun for her. So like some of the others said, make sneezing a game, and if he gets scared and cries, however hard it maybe don't go and pick him up right away, tell him it's okay, and show him it is okay. Babies learn a lot from how we behave, they are good at reading facial expressions.

Raj

8. aartijadhav

aartijadhav New IL'ite

Hi all

Well my daughter is now 7 mths...and shez real fussy when any stranger is trying to play wid her. She cries a lot if any stranger picks her up.

Till last month I was at my moms place and she was quite comfortable there, recently i have moved to my in-laws place, and she is just not getting comfortable wid her dadi(grandmother). Please advice....

Tried taking her to crowded places, in garden and purposely being in a group of people so that she gets used to new faces. She is fine till I am around, but if someone picks her up than she starts crying like anything.
    How do i get her to be friendly and not cry when any stranger is trying to play wid her..please advice...

9. spari

spari Senior IL'ite

As pmahensa said i tried to make fake sneezes & sound . Now i have started to take him out for a short walk for change so that he to get used to different noise rather than being inside four walls.

Riyasmommy earlier i used to close the room door when using mixe or hearing pressure cooker.. now im exposing him to learn all noise..as you all suggested.

well Vanathi i dint think this way.will try.

Thanks a lot pmahensa , Vanathi, Cathy, asha_karthik, Riyasmommy.

Thanks,
    Suganthi

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

She's just going through avery normal developmental stage called "stranger anxiety". Its actually good because it means that she has now learnt to differentiate between people she knows and trusts and others and it tells you that her brain is developing normally. She should get better around strangers by 11-12 months. Until then dont force her to go to strangers and request strangers to be understanding of your baby's needs. I found that with my son , given sufficient "warm-up" time (anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes) where the new person just talked to me and generally ignored him he would start interacting without tears. Once he would start talking/smiling then I always gave him some more time before letting the new person carry/hold him.The time needed varies from baby to baby and also depends on how threatening the baby perceives the new person to be (my DS hated men with loud booming voices eg.). Make sure you interact well with the person and this way your baby will slowly begin to understand that all strangers need not be feared. Patience and understanding are key - I dont think you can make a baby sociable without providing emotional security first.

Vanathi.