1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 8 month old son still not sitting without support

Discussion in 'Infants' started by meena_arun, May 28, 2009.

1. meena_arun

meena_arun Senior IL'ite

Hi Frens,

My son is 8 months old now. But still he is not sitting without any support.
    If we make him sit on his own, he tends to fall back withing 3 or 4 seconds.
    He is also not crawling yet.
    But he rolls over to his tummy and moves around the whole house on his tummy itself. He is able to roll over well on both the sides.

My concern is that he is still not sitting without any support. Sitting without support is the base for everything right? Only then he will be able to crawl or stand or walk....
    How should I help him to sit without support.
    Should this be a concern and should I talk with my pediatrician?

-Meena

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Meena;
    I can understand your concerns. But do not lose your sleep over it. Our ped. told us that only by the end of 9th month they will check whether baby is sitting independently.
    About crawling, my chinnu started crawling towards the end 9th month and till then she used to swim(on her tummy) around the house.
    So do not worry at all. Thats my opinion from my pers. experience. You will get more expert opinions.
    - Nitha

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  3. kolli143

kolli143 Senior IL'ite

Meena, I will be concerned too if my son is not sitting. but you have to undestand that every kid is different. He will take his time to sit and crawl or walk.
    But do talk to the ped, so that you can sleep peacefully once you hear from him that nothing is wrong in the growth of your son.
    Good luck.

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

My son too just rolls around to wherever he needs to get to. At 9.5 months, he is still not crawling and can only stand up if I make him stand up. Each kid is different so don't worry too much. Kids who have spent a lot of time on their back tend to sit up later. Give your kid sitting practice by propping him up with pillows and some toys to play with. Do this 2-3 times a day and I am sure he will pick up independent sitting very soon!

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Not yet. If he isnt sitting by himself at the end of 10 months then you should. There are age ranges for every milestone so please dont worry if your baby is at the later end of them. No research so far has found any corelation between the attainment of motor milestones and later inteligence/academic performance.

Vanathi.

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear meena,
    I can understand your feelings. but each child is different. you should get tensed only if he does not move at all. when he is rolling you need not worry at all. If the baby is in the fatter side it will take time for each action. so shed your worries and enjoy his rolling !!!! I am a grand ma.of 3.
    with love
    pad

7. meena_arun

meena_arun Senior IL'ite

Hi Nitha, Kolli143,pmahensa, Vanathi and Padmini,

Thank you all so much for your replies.
    Yesterday we went to one of our frens house and their house was completely carpeted. so I made my son sith there and he was sitting for 2 or 3 minutes continously before he fall on his back. the carpet was somewhat comfortable for him I felt.

when we make him sit in our house (which has wooden floor, which i feel is somewhat sliperry compared to carpeted floor), he wont sit without anyof of us sitting behind him. ok let me wait for a couple of months more and see.

when will children pull up and sit on their own. Will they pull up and sit by lying down on their back or lying down on their tummy? Though my son is not sitting, I am very curious and eagerly waiting for the days when he will sit by himself, crawl all over the house, stand by himself, walk and then run all around the place (the thought itself exites me a lot)

8. camayluxdove

camayluxdove New IL'ite

Hi Meena
    Even i would like to know the answer to that and even i share in your excitment to even think about them walking though i hear thats when the real work starts for us mommies.
    My DS started sitting independent when he was eight months, he just completed 9mths today.

9. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Meena...

My son is 9 months and 3 weeks, he recently started sitting independtly even though when he was 8 months he used to sit for long time (10-15 minutes) without any support. He still doesn't crawl. He only shuffles and doesn't go very far, may be he is going to skip the crawling part, which is very normal. When my son was 9 months I also used to think like you too. Finally he suprised us when he was 9 n half month, he sat independently and stood himself in his crib and was calling mam.. mam.. mam was very surprising. He still sometime fall when he tries to stand himself. Don't worry all kids are different. Your baby will do everything, they just like to give us surprises I guess.

10. jrk

jrk New IL'ite

Hi Meena - please make sure you give him lot of tummy time. Most of the babies hate this but this strengthens their back muscles. My son started sitting at 6 months and crawled at 8 months. I used to give hime atleast 1-2 hr of tummy time every day.

So don't worry. We can only help the babies. Good luck