Migrating from UK, need help about work and education in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Indians in New Zealand' started by mouli_7, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

:hiya,
    Dear nz'landers,
    I am starting my newlife with my hubby and my sweetlittle son who'll be yr old this month. We don;t know anyone in nz ofcourse we will make new friends after comming there but who knows who we come across?
    Plz help me with the work situation for women there, I am sciencegraduate and have done some child course in uk. whts the working condition? where shall i've to start from? do i need to do any further studies to enhance my qualifications? wht will be the best thing to do?
    I am looking forward for the answers. plz help me
    thank you
    shwetha

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008

2. Kelly

Kelly New IL'ite

Re: migrating frm UK, help needed abt work and education in NZ

Hi Shwetha,

Wow what a big step to take coming to NZ, I hope you eventually enjoy it here! But once you are settled you will love it here.

Well I have been talking to a lot of Indians that have come from overseas to NZ and asked them what they have done. Well here goes..

Since you have done a degree in the UK ( I think you did a degre in UK?) it should be recognised in NZ (A lot of people from India in particular get fustrated as they have PHD & Masters in India but it is not recognised in NZ, but you are lucky as your degree is from a "Western country") so finding a job should be fine. Its always good to try and get a "NZ qualifiction" just to prove that you have studies in NZ, but if you dont have permanenet residency in NZ you will be charged "international fees" which is 3 or 4 times the domestic fees!

Also you might want to get your qualifications assed by the NZQA (The NZ qualification authority - as they can give you a letter stating that the degree that you have done in the UK is the same a NZ degree...

I dont know what your residency status is at the moment, but if you dont have a work permit - it will be very hard to get a job. But generally if you have had a alot of work experience you should be fine, also if you have a high level of english (sorry dont mean to offend or give harsh words, but in NZ sometimes the NZ europens get fustrated at Indians with Indian accents) There is a small portion of people that dont like Indinas in general (yes there is racisim in NZ) so they try and pcik at any little thing totry and stop you.

You might want to do a bit of research on the place you are going to live in, ie finding out what companies there are in the area that you live in, in the field that you are interested in working in.

I hope this little bit of info helps you

Kelly

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  3. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Txs for replying kelly

:hiya,
    Oh, Hmmm, don't know wht to say? well again i guess i've to start frm the scratch:eek:mg:, as I hold degree of India not of UK, i did small courses in UK in order to get in to teacher training degree, but i guess i've to start all over again, hardluck isn't it?
    Kelly we r getting residency visa, wht difference does it make? we r comming to auckland as my husband rotation is based on the suburbs of auckland.
    Thank you ever so much for the feedback, i'll check wht i can do as u said in that particular area.

4. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Hi Swetha,

I just saw your message about your imminent move to Auckland. If you have been doing courses in the UK to do with early childhood education/ teaching etc - perhaps these are transferable.

There is a huge Indian community in Auckland and the Hindu Council/Hindu Social Services Foundation and Migrant Services are helpful in providing information and also giving the initial support by putting you in touch with other INdians.

There is a lot of covert racism in NZ and - while some NZers find fault with Indian accents, in a lot of professional areas, Indians are valued. The NZers are largely open and friendly and pretty helpful.

I have been in NZ for the last 8 years and while I still miss home (India) I do love this country also--in the last 8 years I have seen the population in many cities becoming more and more multiethnic/multicultural.

Nirmala

5. Kelly

Kelly New IL'ite

Hi Swetha

Its me again...in regards to yoru qualifications they "could" be transferred but thats why you need to go through the NZQA - they are they ones that asses your qualifications, but dont worry, be positive I am sure you will settle in well & find a job with your current qualifications. Obviously if you are starting your life again in NZ it will be a bit hard, but if you have extended family here you will have support form them.

Also since you have a residency visa it should be fine to get a job. Most people who come to NZ for a short time get a visitors permit & they cant work, but it looks like you have the right visa to settle down in NZ & be able to work.

Working conditions in NZ are great, if you find an normal office job, you are expected to work 7.5 hours a week, also you usually get sat & sun off, unless its in your contract to work 1 sat a month ... People are generally friendly to newbies in the office, and most work places have at least 1 Indian person in the office.

Good Luck

Kelly

6. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Dear kelly and nirmala,
    I thank you both for your time, it has been really useful to me and i can plan in ahead, as now i got a picture whts it like in nz.
    cheers
    shwetha

7. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Intend to Immigrate to NZ, need help (URGENT)

Hi everyone from NZ

I am a qualified university lecturer and tend to immigrate to NZ. I already submitted EOI (Expression of Interest) and I need to make payment. I have already put up around 18 years in Univ. teaching. I have a daughter who would appear in Xth boards in March 2010. I would like to seek your help in knowing if she would get admission in school on the basis of CBSE and if schooling is good in NZ.

Please, help me in making decision,as I would be moving there with my daughter and seeking a job in Univ.

PLEASE HELP

Ansh12

8. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Re: Intend to Immigrate to NZ, need help (URGENT)

Hi,

Schooling is good in NZ and regardless of CBSE or any other school levels, you will find it easy getting admission.

Where in NZ are you planning to move or seek admission?

Happy to respond to any other queries.

Nimi

9. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nimmi

So sweet of you to have replied. I haven't decided which place to move, actually, I am thoroughly confused seeing the job market. I had put up a query to ARMS(Auckland Regional Migrant Services) asking them about the job situation . They told it is tough.

I am Ph.D in Electronic Science and would like to take up Univ. Teaching job or college teaching.Since i have the responsibility of a child and have no support, I would be crosing the line of "No RETURN", once I get immigration, so I don't want to take any hasty decision.

I would like to know if University jobs are available in the field of Electronics and if it is easy to get jobs(I know it depends on one's capablity, but first availability should also be there). What other things do i need to consider to immigrate.

Will initial years be bit tough?

I am looking forward to your response, Nimmi.

Thankyou Dear

Best wishes
    Ansh

10. niknz

niknz New IL'ite

Hi Ansh

I am from New Zealand and I recently completed my Mechatronics Engineering degree at University of Auckland, however I am now living in Melbourne.

Best thing is to search for jobs on university websites espcially the engineering sections.

Some Popular Universities in NZ:
    University of Auckland
    University of Canterbury (Christchurch)
    Otago University (Duniden)
    Victoria University (Wellington)
    Auckland Univeristy of Technology - AUT
    Waikato University

I lived in Auckland, the surburb of Mount Roskill. There are plenty Indians. High schools such as Mount Roskill Grammer and Lynfield College have plenty of Indian students. And also the surburb has plenty of indian shops.

Hope this info was useful. Good luck