1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weaning toddler off bottle

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lakshmy, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

Re: can you give some ideas!!

hi lakshmi,
    what happened abt ur son??? does he still have milk in botle???
    well i want to share my success with u....(i call it that)....finally Azmeena is having milk in glass. and for the buggi man, she just feels its a person who keeps a check on all kids, that they shud be well behaved and liste to their moms. otherwise she is doesnt show any signs of fear a u said. this time it was not buggi man but it was more her own self conciousness that helped me. recently (god know how) she has bcm very conciuos abt herself her dressing her talks. she feels evry1 will laugh if she wears certain dresses or if she blows a toy horn in front of any guest. i just told her that c if evry1 comes to know u are a big girl and u still drink milk in glass then they all will laugh. also i gathered all family kids and made her ask every1 how they have milk. they all ans "in glass". so now even if i ask her "azmeena u want milk in glass or bottle" she says "glass". though she take 20-30mins to hv same amt of milk which she used to have in 5mins in bottle. but thats ok. yeah and also i made her throw her bottles in the dust bin.....:2thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. mommy

mommy New IL'ite

easy ways to stop bottle feeding my 2 yr old son

hi all,

my son is 2 yr old and he is on the bottle feeding now...i want to stop bottle feeding now...as it effects his teeth and leads to many infecti0ns..

the problem is i tried to stop but he is such a stubborn that....
    whenever i pour the milk in a sipper/cup he tried to keep once in the mouth and immediately says....baledu(means i dont like and want it) pour this milk in the bottle...he demands like anything...he cries,settle on the floor for the bottle milk....
    he removes the cap...of the sipper and wants to transfer that in another cup....means he wants to play ...
    and when he is hungry....means...he eats m,y brain like anything...for bottle...i tried my level best to be harsh for so many times....but as a mom...i dont want to see hm weeping for hourss and finally for 1 hr i will give him the bottle....yes this is my fault...but wat i think was...how hungry he was...so he is demanding like anything...

pls suggest me some easy ways and not harsh ways to stop bottle feeding my son...pls help me...coz am going to deliver baby in 2 months...i want to stop bottle feeding my son before my second delivery...
    pls help me

regards,
    mrs.ram:bowdown

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi mommy,

I am merging your post with an existing thread.

This is the age when the bottle is more a pacifier for your son. I too weaned off after quite a bit of trouble for my son, just couple of months before my 2nd one arrived. They do plead not because they are hungry but because they want the pacifier back. Do take a strong heart to ignore the cries... in my case, my boy ate and slept better once the bottle was off.

Latha

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

how to stop bottle feeding

source : bizhat.com

How To Stop Bottle Feeding

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Stopping bottle feeding is a difficult task for both the mother and the baby. The child just won’t want to let go off the bottle and the mother would want to start feeding the baby from a glass or a sipper. Almost all mothers ponder over when and how to stop bottle feeding their baby. Since the bottle gives a feeling of normal nursing to the baby, letting go off it can be difficult and stressful. The process takes time and must be done gradually. In the following lines, you will find many useful tips to wean the baby off the bottle, so read on.

The best time to stop the bottle is as soon as the baby starts to sit up. The first step you need to take to wean your baby off the bottle is by keeping the bottle out of sight. Understand that the moment a baby sees the bottle, he will start to cry and demand to be bottle-fed. It may take a couple of days or maybe a couple of weeks before the baby realizes that he is not going to get the bottle anymore. As soon as he starts to feel hungry, he will himself give up and agree to be fed. The child will forget the bottle in a couple of days, once he starts to take food normally.

Once you wean the baby off the bottle, start giving normal food in a stainless steel bowl with a spoon that has blunt edges. This ensures that the gums and teeth of the child are unaffected and don’t get hurt. Stainless steel bowls and spoons can be sterilized unlike plastic bowls, which can be cleaned in only warm water. Some families prefer to use silverware to feed the baby. It does not really matter whether it is silver or steel, as long as it is kept clean and hygienic.

Instead of force feeding the baby, try to make it interesting. Hand him a glass and pose a playful challenge by telling him to drink from it without spilling. Chances are, he might find it interesting and consider this as some game. When he ‘accomplishes the challenge’, praise and acknowledge the accomplishment. Like this, it is much easier to wean a baby off the bottle and in a couple of days he might just forget that he has to drink from the bottle. In case he finds some difficulty, assist him calmly and if he refuses, switch to the bottle temporarily. Try the same activity after a few days in a different way

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  5. crossiants

crossiants Senior IL'ite

Re: how to stop bottle feeding

wow!i also wish to stop bottle for my son i will follow all your tips thank u.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

thank you crossiants....:):):)

7. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

Till what age can toddlers be given milk in bottle while sleeping

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

sherin,

in any age it's not good to sleep with the bottle on:)

Latha

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Dear Mssunitha,

thanks for sharing the informative article. i am merging your thread with an existing one on weaning off bottle. Kindly add further comments/info here.

Latha

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ladies,

When my DD was 1yr 8months, we had guests that day, and a 9month old baby boy was among them :)
    My DD liked him a lot... me and the baby's mother went out for 3hrs, and we told her to take care of the baby :) Both grandparents were present then.
    My DD was all the time looking at the baby and ensured that the baby ate/slept/played well... till the time we came back.

Once they all left, i told her, that baby boy wanted bottle, and they asked for DD's. Since i know that DD is fond of that baby, i gave it to the baby... And i asked her, "they were soo happy, the baby is drinking milk from ur bottle only, he is soooo fond of u now, you can drink milk in tumbler hereafter right? If you are not ok with this, then i wud get it back from them,let the baby cry...?!!!"

She immedietly said, NOOOOOOOO,let him have the bottle and i wud adjust(!) with tumbler :thumbsup

I made a BIG scene out of this, i called up that friend and told my DD is very happy that she(!) has given the bottle to their baby :) What a nice girl she is, etc... Same story i repeated to my parents, in-laws, over phone!!!
    Madam was sooooooo proud that she forgot that she has lost her bottle!!!!!!!!!

And from that day, she is on tumblers... she never ever made fuss abt it and never asked for bottle again!!!!!!!
    Such a cutiepie :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009