1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is the ideal approach on this ???

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by N@!Sr!, May 16, 2009.

1. N@!Sr!

N@!Sr! Senior IL'ite

I again came up with issues that happend yesterday. I just want some inputs on how to handle this situation as "only issues with my IL's" are ruining our married life. Those who have read my earlier posts, might know me well, that mine is a love marriage, that happend without the full consent of my in-laws. Since my marriage I have seen remarkable changes in my Dh's behavior (i.e.prioritizing his family more than my respect,wants, or anything). Perhaps thats the reason why I haven't been mentally prepared for a kid even after 2.5 yrs of marriage and a courtship of 5 years before the marriage.
    As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, that my In-laws are extremely hypocrit,sarcastic, money hungry and leave no stones unturned to torture me mentally.
    They make sarcastic comments on my way of wearing dresses, my way of living, my job, they will decide how many days I should stay with my parents, what we cook here, if I cook abc, then certainly its not good for health eventhough they eat the same etc... the usual problems as all the ladies have.
    After getting valuable inputs from IL's I started raising my voice and showing my likes and dislikes but of late I found my Dh behaving worser than before.
    My Dh spends whole, I mean every single pie of his earning for his family's house loan (which is getting built), monthly expenses,telephone and internet bills, gifts, jewelleries, sister's MBA, sister's wedding , in short everything. When we visit India, his mom sits next to him, relates to her plights and my Dh gets emotinally blackmailed and spends everything to the point that we don't have money for the taxi fare to return. I used to work during that time and help him in these situation. Whenever I used to raise my voice since my marriage, we ended up fighting profusely. Gradually, as my mom's advice I stopped commenting anything to bring peace between us or rather to win confidence of my Dh (as adviced by some ladies). These things keeps on repeating every now and then in my household and I keep mum.
    Of late, I have seen my IL's have started entering into our personal boundaries too much. During the yahoo chat session, we have to tell them everything, what we cook, when we have lunch/dinner,how much are we saving etc. After hearing all these, my Il's would start giving their valuable suggestions etc.. which sometimes I ignore but at times really get upset when they comment on my looks/makeup/hairstyle. I told this to my Dh that this behavior offends me, with he obviously not responding to my feelings. These days, somehow I do not like to talk to my IL's at all and I normally keep my conversation short asking them how are they and my SIL's.How is the weather out there etc.? Now my MIL keeps on asking me, 'Why aren't you talking to us? R u angry or what??" I normally change the topic. I repeatedly requested my Dh not to involve them into our family matters by giving them all the info regarding our finances, about when we wake up, or what time we have lunch etc as they reparcate differently to me. But my Dh somehow gets mesmerized to see his parents/sister's that he starts answering all the questions they ask. It looks more like a questionnaire session than a casual chat between son-parents-sisters etc...
    Now yesterday, the same thing happend. My SIL asked where am I? My Dh answered that I am cooking. Immediately she started her blabbers, why so late? can't she wake up early and cook. Why do you guys eat so late? At that point of time, my Dh gets nervous as I could make out from his voice when he has no answers and keeps on repeating himself with an unreasonable answer. After all the conversation got over, I asked him politely as to why he gave all those info to his sister. But I found my Dh turning to be violent at me by physically abusing me and trying to kill me. (My neck is still hurting)He banged my head on the wall stating I feel jealous about his family and I can't tolerate them. His sister never commented that way and its me who is making a mountain of a molehill. I did get furious as well, since he tries to prove me a "liar" everytime whenever I wanted to take a "stand" or voiced out my feelings.
    After all these happend, I thought of calling the cops, but had a nervous breakdown. My Dh realized this and apologized to me. He sobbed and wept holding my hands as he could not believe what he did since he went against his parent's wish to marry me. My Dh otherwise is good to me. He never stops me from doing anything. He spends on my sister's education. But I would seriously like to know what happens to him after he speaks with his folks? Why does he normally initiate a fight after a conversation with his family? What should I do? I am utterly confused now and I am unable to speak to him as well. He called me from office to inquire about my health.

Last edited: May 17, 2009

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

If this statement has not been exaggerated and I haven't misinterpreted

"He banged my head on the wall several times stating that I feel jealous about his family and I can't tolerate them"

then you better get out of the house and then start thinking of his irrational behaviour.I don't think you are safe anymore in the house with the physical abuse meted out to you.I may be over-reacting from your point of view as I am not sure what level of torture is tolerable for an ideal Indian woman as most of them keep up with the abuse most of their lives.

I may not have great advice on how to solve your problem but I feel right now keeping your hubby at bay when he turns violent is most important.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  3. N@!Sr!

N@!Sr! Senior IL'ite

Hi, Sabitha

No... not even a single point is exhaggerated in my post. I am getting confused day by day seeing his behavior. Regarding calling the cops, and walking out of the marriage, I am not sure how that is going to affect mine, my parents and my sister's life. Is he really going to change with that kind of a move or is he going to be more adamant and taking his family's side? As I said, he is otherwise very good to me. Our marriage has absolutely no issues without his family members. If I discuss about a session with counsellors, he refuses.

4. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

After so many years in the relationship and still no change, plus now the physical abuse... I think you should really evaluate whether you want to continue in this marriage. Seems like you have no money to save for your goals, no respect between you and your dh, and nasty inlaws who won't let you live in peace. What kind of life is that? :confused2:

I don't see how there's anything more YOU can do. Putting an end to the spending, stopping the physical abuse... that's up to your husband. You could call 911, but eventually he might do it again, just like you brought him to a financial planner but still he spends. shakehead

I was in a similar situation (very similar in regards to money and inlaws interfering) and finally I told my dh he would either need to put me first or his family first. Since they trashed me on the phone and interfered constantly, I told dh he would need to cut contact because I couldn't take the stress anymore. I also had a nervous breakdown (anxiety attack), couldn't breath, ambulance came... I know how scary that feels, I know how horrible it is to feel like your life is spiraling out of control. :drowning I decided whether my marriage ended or not, I had to do something to save myself. I gave my dh tough ultimatums because I was more afraid of losing my life than my marriage. Luckily my dh chose me and has made big changes. Looking back I'm so thankful I stood up for myself, else I'd still be living in hell today. I don't know if you have reached that breaking point yet, but I think you should consider making some tough choices and tough demands. I demanded things of my dh which I knew might cause him to divorce me, but that was a necessary risk. :hide:

We safegaurd our marriages like they are bricks of gold, but really when are we going to start valueing ourselves that much? :queen Standing up to your dh you might feel like you have so much to loose, but truth is you have so much to gain. If he gives in to your requests you will gain peace at home. If he gets angry and wants to break the relationship, you have an exit from this toxic situation.

Whatever you do, take care and please stay safe!!!

5. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Not sure how you would take my suggestions, as you previously had a problem with my responses, but for what it's worth:

Previously, you accused your MIL of incest with your husband, told us that you had confronted your husband and talked to psychologists (who agreed with you that she was trying to seduce her own son) and that you were now going around and giving your MIL a "bad name" in your community?

You don't have to answer this, but, could this have been a cause for your husband's change of behavior towards you?

Secondly, whatever it is, abuse is abuse. There is NO reason or NO justification for him to lay his hands on you, choke you, slam your head against the wall etc. He has a severe anger management issue and this is his way of showing his frustration. But this is NOT an acceptable way and he needs to learn that. You need to take this abuse seriously, and, as ASG said, reevaluate your marriage. Do you really feel safe with him after the way he almost KILLED YOU?

And he's behaving like a typical abusive person does - mistreating you, then humbly begging your pardon. It doesn't matter how well he treats you otherwise, he cannot get away with assaulting / battering you, and then blaming his reaction on someone or something else.

Finally, if you do decide to stay on in this relationship, then in the interest of fairness, I would urge you to limit financial support to BOTH your families. That means that his sister's education AND your sister's education should be the responsibility of your respective parents, not yours or your husband's. This is just so that your MIL cannot later complain that her son is helping his SIL, but not his own sister, and also to ensure that BOTH families know that you guys are not cash cows that are a source of never-ending wealth. Please establish and start enforcing boundaries right away IF you do decide to stay married to this guy. Otherwise, my opinion is that you should get out when the going is still good.

Good luck!

6. N@!Sr!

N@!Sr! Senior IL'ite

Dear Malyatha

Here again you are assuming the situation incorrectly when you say I gave a "bad name" to my MIL in our community."

The behavior that I witnessed, which can be termed as "incest" (which I came to know after I spoke with a psychologist), I would not say that it was a sort of a seduction to one's own son, rather it would have been a way to show that she still has a control/right over her son more than I do. She often pretends things that way and passes comment infront of me such as "he is my son, I know what he likes, how much can he eat etc..." She would not even allow me to wash my Dh's clothes or touch them.

Now coming to giving a bad name to my MIL in the community!!! First of all, we both belong to different states, so our communities are not the same. There are only a few of their relatives who I know, and pretty obviously I would not go and discuss these things with them.
    I haven't even discussed this issue with my parents, so forget about discussing this with someone belonging to my community.

The first person I discussed all these was "my Dh" and that too not by blaming him or my MIL. I asked him if this is the usual behavior in their family. He did not respond to me, so I never bothered him much on this. Thats when I spoke with a psychologist's to check if I was over reacting on this situation , I got to know the apt terminology. So, yeah you can say that the only community that I discussed all these is here, in Indusladies that too clarify my doubt if this is usual in other families as well or if I am over reacting.

So, I am pretty sure that his change of behavior is not based on this matter. The only thing that their entire family wants from me is to take their verbal abuse calmly and behave as they want. I thought my Dh was different from them, but after all its the same blood running in his nerves too. Atleast this is what I am thinking now!!!

7. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

No, that won't happen. It SHOULD NOT happen. You are a human being with thoughts, feelings and emotions and you DO NOT have tolerate abuse of ANY sort - physical, verbal or emotional - just because you are the DIL. Just be very strong and adamant about this. Make it very clear that you will only respect them if they respect you.

And, I really want you to reevaluate your marriage. What are your current plans? Have you talked to your husband about his physical abuse? If, God forbid, this should happen again, then what do you plan to do? Do you really feel safe with this guy?