1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting solids: 4-6 months

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Re: Starting Solids for a 4 1/2 month old baby: Suggestions please

Hi friends,
    All of your suggestions are useful. My baby is 7.5 months old.
    I tried to give idly and rice. Whenever I put a little bit of the above
    in the mouth she vomits. Same story for rice also. But she likes
    veg. and fruit purees(gerber and earth`s best organic) I do not know
    how to introduce home made food. Can anybody give me a tip?:idontgetit:

2. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey this post has become very interesting!!!lots of useful info!!!vandhana,i have saved ur post for future referance!!!vidhya,i am quoting ur reply because,recently when i was thinking about starting my baby on solids&reading up on the net,i came across the fact that 'earths best organics has been recalled for some reason'....so pls check it out before feeding ur baby...someone correct me on this if am wrong....

3. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

one more thing,can you all pls suggest how i should increase the portion size&the number of times a day?right now,its been just 4 days since i started solid,i feed him just once a day ....1st i give him some milk,then ceral....1st&2nd day he just had 2 tsps,3rd &4th day he finished one tbsp.should i give the sold during a feeding time or should i give it in between a feeding....right now he nurses every 2hrs or on demand......at night he wakes up atleast 2 times to feed.......when shud i start cutting down night feeding&how do i go about doing that?i am exclusivley breast feeding now&would like to breast feed for atleast a yr....so i am a little worried about my milk supply too...once he starts solids,will my milk supply decrease?how do i keep it going?

4. sree

sree New IL'ite

Earth's best organics

You are right vidhu, some of the earth's best food has been recalled.I heard it in the fox5 news. But I'm sorry I don't exactly remember which ones. I tried searching in babycenter.com for which one exactly- but no use.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Vidukumar,
    Try and substitute one breast feed with the cereal. Suppose you usually breast feed him around 10.00 or so, then give him cereal for this feed. Also with regard to increasing, do it gradually. You said 3and 4th day he had 1tbsp cereal, now increase it to 2 tbsp cereal , mix it with Breast milk and give. observe him, if he is not in any discomfort after eating or does not have loose stools etc... then after gving a 2 tbps for a couple of days, increase it to 3 tbsps. So you can gradully increase it till he is taking about 1/3 cup of cereal for each feed( around 5 months).

Also the night feeding will continue for some more time. Around 6 months, introduce solids to him in the evening also. Start early evening and then make it around 6 or 7. By the time he is 7months, the 2 nightly feeds will reduce. . You do not have to worry, about breast feeding till 1yr. As you feed him , the Breasts will secrete milk . Only when you stop totally will the milk secretion also stop. By the time your kid is 8 to 10 months, expect to breast feed him only about 3 times a day. but he will get enough. and you can also gradually wean him off. Hope this helps.

Vandhana

6. sree

sree New IL'ite

Earth's best

Follwing is recalled Earth's best baby food. I did a google search and got this .If anyone has these at home please discard them.

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 83%" width=495 align=center border=1>Earth’s Best Organic 2 Apple Peach Barley Wholesome Breakfast (4.5 ounce jars)23923-20223PF6J14 NP EXP 14 SEP 08 AEarth's Best Organic 2 Wholesome Breakfast Variety Pack (12 pack)23923-20295 13 SEP 08Earth's Best Organic 2 Apple Peach Barley (4.5 ounce jars within 12 pack)23923-20223PF6J14 NPEXP 14 SEP 08 A

7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Thanks Vidhukumar and Sree for your valuable information.

8. Neeti

Neeti New IL'ite

What food is suitable for 6 month old

Hi all
    My daughter is about to complete 6 month and I have not started any solid except rice cereal.I would like to know is it right time to introduced her some other food? And what kind of food suitable for her ?
    Thanks

9. vidraghav

vidraghav New IL'ite

Re: What food is suitable for 6 month old

hi neeti,

this site will help you introduce solid food for your baby.

Introducing solid foods

you can start with rice cereals and if your baby feels comfortable, u can give him/her some fruits,veggies and then move to table foods. This info is given in the above website.Hope it will help you.

vidya

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Neeti,
    Welcome to IL. Please go through the above thread , there are a lot of posts and you will get a good idea of what to give your baby.
    Rgds