1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of physical looks in a happy married life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BeeAmma, May 6, 2009.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Dear friends,
    Growing up I used to notice older friends used to take very good care of their looks before marriage but as years go by they start focussing lesser ane lesser. Probably they are overwhelmed with other reponsibilities. I wanted to check with fellow ILites what you think about this. Do you think that it necessary to stay slender and well groomed and keep up with the latest styles and such? Do you take more or less care of yourself to stay attractive to your spouse?

I used to be fairly careless until recently. Now I am trying to take more care. Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Dear BeeAmma;
    I do believe that you should take care of your looks at all age. I try to take care as much as I can with little time I get.
    I do not do it for "J" or other's, but just for me. I feel confident only when I am dressed neatly or when my eyebrows are trimmed etc. It is very hard to get time with a 9 month old around, for enhancing my looks are the last thing that run in my mind. But still I try to look a little decent :).
    - Nitha

1 person likes this.
  3. ish333

ish333 Senior IL'ite

A women should stay fit and healthy regardless of her being married.I don't like the idea of women struggling hard to lose weight just for her hubby' sake is ridiculous. i have seen many women trying hard to shed their pounds because of their hubby. it just shows male chauvinisim . if a women herself feels that she is not attractive or obese and tries to use cream and stuff then that is a different issue.

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I feel it is so very important to remain healthy throughout your lifetime ! Regardless of wether your husband or neighbours are watching you. The healthier you are the better for you. I am sincerely working on this concept and want to do just that.

It is very normal for us woman to ' want ' to look beautiful esp to our husbands. :) It is one deep dark secret of a woman I guess. Most of us accept. Some of us dont. Some of us dont feel it is necessary to. :)

However, who doesnt love compliments and getting it from the love of your life is THE best thing isnt ? I look at this as more of a motivation ..

It is always a good thing to look and ' feel ' younger. We cannot stop age.. the least we can do is to stop feeling that and curb everything that makes us feel old. Oldage doesnt hurt , true ! But being unhealthy as we get old will get us no sympathy ! We may just become a burden .. Unless we have malignancy minus bad habits.

Once we are healthy, we are cheerful, once we are cheerful, we look young both at heart and face !! :thumbsup

I used to hate it when my mom said who cares about looks now.. I have a grandson ! I dont expect her to walk in minis or wrap around skirts with stillitos ! But she can look neat with matching blouse and saree and her eyebrows done in the least ! She used to like doing her eyebrows but feared what the society would say !! I used to be at my wits end telling her - Learn to ignore !! She just didnt.. So, I think society does play a major role in your life IFF the importance they least deserve are given !

I am going to be smartly dressed if not dressed-to-kill even around my grandkids !! ( working hard on living uptil then !! ) :)

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Yaay, thats the spirit Preeti. Compliments from the DH are welcome, and I would not mind trying out new styles to keep them coming and the romance going.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to look attractive for your spouse. If my DH got love handles that I do not find aprticularly lovely, I would expect him to hit the gym. By the same token, I would extend him the right to expect the same from me. Of course the assumption is that the husband is not a sadistic, in human psycho.

6. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

IMO, physical attraction, say PA, is very important in a marriage (and prior to it) and nothing could be more satisfying than be in love and be physically attracted to. My wife, seems to separate them both and hold love as eternal, enduring and stronger than PA - which I quite don't agree. For me whenever I remember her, I won't be pretending, when I say that my feeling of love towards her get automatically mingled with PA.

That said, everyone have their own way being attracted to the other person - there is no universal definition of being attractive. It is like some men think Aish to be quite attractive and others, like me, don't think so :)

7. Aabha

Aabha Silver IL'ite

Hi Beeamma
    I think Physical looks do play a role in happy married life.
    we also want our Dh to look good similarly they will too think the same way.
    But after some years of marriage n having kids,these things take a back seat.
    Sometimes wives are so much engrossed in the responsiblities that they stop taking care of themselves..
    We should try our best to look good since it also provides confidence and make us happy too when we get praised.

8. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

It is important to take care of one's physique, not only because it will make you attractive to your spouse, but also because it is important to for you to be (and feel) healthy!!! Secondly, when you look good, you will feel good, and when you feel good, your self-esteem and self-confidence sky rocket. This has a cascading effect on the other areas of your life. So, in a nutshell, yes, it IS important to take care of your weight and appearance, but not for the reasons that you outlined in the original post.

Hit the gym at least three or four times a week and work out. Exercise releases endorphins, which in turn, trigger a natural "high", making you feel really good about yourself. Complement all the above with a weekly or fortnightly facial that will pamper and rejuvenate your skin.

Secondly, you don't have to invest HUGE amounts of time and money to look good. Just wash your face regularly, apply foundation and slap on a dab of lip stick. Cut and trim your hair once every six weeks for a clean and well-kept look. Wear neat, fitting clothes that are comfortable, not baggy tents that make you look like a shapeless lump.

Wear sunscreen when you go out, and comfortable shoes that support your back, especially your spine. Simple accessories like a nice handbag (NOT a diaper bag, but a HAND-BAG, unless you have kids that are still not potty trained), a plain necklace, matching ear-rings and bangles can give you a well-made up look at little to no cost.

When you are in shape and well turned out, you will feel as if you are on top of your world. And, the resulting spill over effects are just amazing. Your hubby noticing and approving are only incidental to your health, appearance and self-esteem.

madhupreeth likes this.
  9. jpstar

jpstar New IL'ite

Malyatha:

Thanks for the lovely insight. I agree with you completely on this one. If one is taking care of oneself then rest of the things are automatically taken care of. And one does not even feel drained in the long term due to the feeling of giving and sacrifice that may seep in unnoticed while taking efforts. :)

Since you mentioned that you use sunscreen, I would like to know which brand is the most suitable for you. May be I could take a hint from there for myself. I am basically looking out for a sunscreen that will not leave my face looking like it has been coated with a thin film of oil! I mean something that will be absorbed by the skin naturally. Thanks in advance. :)

10. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Physical looks definitley add a value to a good relationship..It boosts our self confidence and gives a great feeling...It helps girls to attract their partners too...[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009