1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indian Grocery Stores

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by rohini, Aug 26, 2005.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

I have had the same problem too

Hi Ladies,

I understand what you all are going thru. I have the same problem too. I see bugs in the rice and dals that I buy in the indian store. I sift the wheat flour before I start using it. It is a good idea to wash all the rices and dals two to three times. I have a sister in law who is a doctor, who told me that if there are bugs in rice and dals and other things, then it means these products probably do not have a lot of pesticides and chemicals in them. which I think is good. We dont want chemicals and pesticides in our food.

I try to buy things that I dont use often in smaller quantities so they dont sit in the pantry for ever.

Regarding the receipts in indian stores, we cannot do much about that. The indian stores here do not invest money on good billing software for their products and inventory. I live in CT and we have one indian store which has comaparatively much better billing system than many other indian stores. Ofcourse it does not compare to the amercian grocery stores. Hope this helps.

jothi.

2. vince

vince New IL'ite

I go to Subzi Mandi and Patel cash carry they have all the fresh stuff since they are busy so they have fresh stuff all the time ,
    My experience with Apna bazaar has been very bad ,I bought one gallon milk from Apna Bazaar cash and carry and the milk had some foul smell though it was not expired i went back to return they wouldnt just take it back saying it to be not from there store ,I am surprised how these guys do the customer service , It was not really matter of 2-3 bucks but they werent ready to make for their mistake and above all they were so rude .

1 person likes this.
  3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

very true..recently, a new apna bazaar has opened near my place and many of my friends were complaining abt their behaving like in the price tag, one price will be there; but, they charge a different price. If you ask for it, they dont accept or you have to literally fight. Bottom line, while shopping in apna bazaar, you have to open yr eyes at the cash counter.

Not only that, there is no branded flours or dhals. Just for veggies, you can go and buy there..

4. annienj

annienj New IL'ite

Indian Grocery Store is not just about buying food. It's also the place to get advice about what the good neighbourhoods are, how to find an apartment, even employment and much more...It;s more of social meeting place , Picking up fruits and vegetables and chit chatting with people from different parts of India , Different fields , Different culture .
    :goodidea:
    Indian Grocery stores are truly picture of India in USA .
    :yes:
    Happy Shopping grocery

Annie

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Being in US for more than 6 yrs, my experience with Indian stores is totally different !!!!!!

2 people like this.