Metformin & Pregnancy - My Doubts

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by prettywomen123, Apr 18, 2009.

1. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

hi all,

I was pcos diagnosed 4 yrs back and was under complete medication.I have very irregular periods . I got married last yr, today is our first wedding day! I was under metformin for the last 6 months. when taking Metformin, I used to have a 40 day cycle . My last cycle was on jan 25. I was expecting my period on mar 6 based on 40 day cycle but dint get. Last week I was feeling giddy and vommiting, went to emergency, they took a urine sample and told me 'I am Pregnant'.

I went to my gyneac here in london yesterday and she was not very helpful. She asked me if I took a HPT after that and I said that was also postive. She has given a letter to the NHS for scan. I dont know when I'll get the scan done, could be on a waiting list.

My questions-

1)Has anyone conceived by having only metformin 500 and have success stories to help me cope with my stress and tension
    2) I dont know my due date. The GP has calculated my due date based on last period but my periods have always been irregular so I dont know if she is right that I could be 2 months pregnant now
    3) I was severely vomitting and feeling faint last week, now thats gone but yesterday I felt severe back pain and when I slept I felt like something is pulling my tummy. I dont know who to ask since I dont want to tell any of my relatives without taking a scan.I also this morning had a little white discharge. Is this common to get this during pregnancy?
    I always get a backpain when I do some work cant stand in one place for a long time and even cook.Not sure which month I am on and due date and its driving me crazy. Only scan should give answers for this.
    4) Since I am a PCOS diagnosed and after reading scary stories, I am feeling confused and scared everytime I have a back pain or tummy pain..

Can you ladies help me cope with my stress. My gyneac is not helpful, she first told me I have a long way to go and cannot conceive by just taking Metformin. This time when I went she tells me anything could happen. She just checked my BP and thats it.She dint do any checks. I get side tummy pain and sometimes breathing problems when I have a conversation.

Pls help.

Regards
    S

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

re: Metformin & Pregnancy - My Doubts

First of all congrats! If your hpt is positive, then you are definitely pregnant! Wait till you have your first scan to ensure all is well with the pregnancy.

It is entirely possible to get pregnant on metformin alone. Metformin corrects the insulin imbalance in your body making it possible for you to ovulate and if the timing is right to conceive.

Make sure and take prenatal vitamins, folic acid, and a dha supplement. The symptoms you experience are all signs that I experienced when I was pregnant. Since my cycles are irregular as well, no way to calculate my due date. In the first scan, they calculated the due date based on the size of the fetus and use that as an estimated due date.

congrats again and do stop worrying. stay positive and calm :)

3. prettywomen123

hi mahensa

Thanks for your response. Feeling a little better after reading your response.Is metformin supposed to be taken during pregnancy as well. I dint know I was pregnant and was consuming metformin. Now my Gp as I said who is not that supportive has told me to stop metformin and take follic acid. I've read some of the posts where they say met needs to be consumed through out pregnancy. is this true? I have very bad gastric issues,lots of sounds happen in my stomach and after eating anything my stomach is bloated.Is this all expected?

Regards
    S

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi my dear S,
    Just relax. Calm yourself. Nothing will go wrong. Be patient until you are done with the ultrasound. Don't get tensed out & make your condition worst. Eat healthy items whichever you feel comfortable. Relax first!

For your second doubt,
    Since your periods are irregular, due date calculation cannot be done easily. Scan will give the fetus size & through that, due date can be calculated.

White discharge is also a package of pregnancy. Be calm.
    Take care. Once again Congrats on your pregnancy.

5. Sunflower143

Sunflower143 New IL'ite

Hi Prettywomen123,
    Congrats on your pregnancy....I'm also under treatment for PCOS...taking metformin 500mg..My Gp told me dont take metformin if i become preg..u r lucky that u get pregnant with metformin...so thank god...dont be so tensed..everything will be fine..

6. prettywomen123

hi ladies,

I just wanted to update you all on the first scan I had today. Intially my GP said I was 13 weeks pregnant but now after the scan they have put me as 9 weeks 1 DAY:bowdown. The scan showed the baby's movement and heart beat which we could see. They have asked me to come after 13 weeks to do the NTS which will tell about baby's body parts and also fluid at the back of neck.

I was so tensed when I went there but started crying when I started seeing the baby's movement. They took blood tests today and have asked me to come back when i am on week 13.

So happy and delighted! I hope everything goes well and I can make my travel to India as planned. I am yet to see a midwife and check that out with her about travel safety.

Happy to share this with you all.

Regards
    S

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Congrats!

You can take metformin till the end of the first trimester (I did). Then they switch you over to insulin or gyburide if your sugar levels are high.

Enjoy the trip to India!

8. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

S,

Congratulations! Good to know about the scan. I second Pooja on metformin - I took them till I was 16 weeks along. Have a nice trip to India.

Regards,
    Anitha

9. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Dear S,

Good to know that you are relieved from all your worries and glad to see that everything is going fine.

Stay Cool and be relaxed!

Good Luck!

10. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Yes i took metformin until 3 mth of mine pregnancy, there is nothing to worry.