1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What breakfast do you feed your kid ?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by rithi, Jan 9, 2009.

1. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

I'm tired of offering bagel, cereal, bars, idli for breakfast and my daughter is not intrested in any. She pretty much goes to pre-school at 8:00 a.m, without any, not even milk of choclate milk.

Breakfast is such a important meal of the day and I'm really worried

Rithi

2. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Sorry to hear that. How old is your daughter? My daughters have a traditional Indian breakfast before school...ex: idli, dosa, etc. Been doing that since they can remember. One reason behind the success of that is that they know its a rule in our house....strictly enforced by both parents. The only change is when they are sick - in that case something light like toast will do.
    Does she eat breakfast alone or with parents? Maybe if you make this into a family meal she may be encouraged to eat it.

3. hema.thiyagu

hema.thiyagu New IL'ite

Try making different kinds of dosais: like the tomato dosai, the raagi adai, etc
    Make it look appealing with differnet kinds of chutneys and side dishes. If the dish is tempting they will make a try to eat.

If they dont eat on solid diets, try making the raagi kanji or the sathu maavu kanjis which are available in the markets: eg. manna mix

Also you can make sprouts like soak a handful of whole channa, some wheat grains, pachha payir or the whole cereal grains. Also, the nuts like almonds, pista, raisins will also help...

Try different combinations each day

Tell me your results!!!

Hope it helped
    Cheers :thumbsup

4. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Thanks Hema and Manaswini,

I'll try making beakfast a family meal. Right now I feed her while my husband is taking shower. We all leave the house together. May need to get up 1/2 hr earlier to prepare some varieties on chutney etc., but it will be worth the effort than to complain.

My daughter is three-and-half. I'll let you know the results in a week to 10 days.

5. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi...
    MY daughter will be 4yrs this feb... even she was like that... these are few changes we did and she is better now...

Try giving dosai in different shapes... sometimes i ask her and try to make it... we used ot make A, B, C, D.. dosai... just pour it with your spoon... you can make it...

Next spread the poori as a big circle, cut into different shapes like, square, triangle, half moon etc... its upto your imagination... they really love to eat... some times they get excited seeing the shapes...

so now our Breakfast problem is getting solved... try it out...

6. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

same problem is with my daughter.she is 4 yrs old.she use to take only 1 cup milk@100 ml.but now i have started making rava kheer using that milk.i boil milk add fried rava n sugar cook for while n feed her.but i think she will b bored of this but i have no other options.she don't take solid foods(she has to leave home @6.30)
    i will try shvap's idea.

7. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

6:30 am is too early for anybody to start out... leave alone a child going to the school. sorry for ur child, manisha. if she can finish her milk in this time, that would be good for you. your idea of making different flavors of milk is a very good idea.

Rithi - for a 8am, the idea given by other friends here look to be good. i think the choice u give her (bagel, cereal etc..) are all bland or sweet-based. ur kid cud be one who wants more taste and spice. I was doing this to my kid till sometime back (only idli or kanji in the mornings). but after she started going to playschool, i got worried coz her intake reduced and also i didnt hv time to spend and make her complete even half of the breakfast. Then i started different shapes/flavors of dosas (i am teaching her shapes this way too and add either onions or carrots to it mostly), idli with good side dish like chutney or curd or some mashed veg, kichidi, poori with dal. i hv also managed not to repeat a single item in a week. you can also add one junk item that she likes to the breakfast (in a very small quantity so that she doesn't end up eating only that) so that she gets the interest to sit down and eat. i saw a clear difference in my child after i took more effort with the breakfast plate preparation. All the very best.

8. poongodi

poongodi New IL'ite

Hi
    This is the recipe for kids from my grandmother.
    We give the same to my baby and it tastes great.
    This is a home made food and it is a bit time consuming , but the best food for kids.

Ingredients:
    Ragi cereal ( Kelvaragu ) - 1 kg
    Badam - 50 gms
    Dried ginger powder ( sukku or sunti ) - 25 gms - very good for digestion
    Barley - 100 gms

Method :
    Soak Ragi over night in water ( Approx - 10 hrs ), then remove it and wrap it using a wet cloth leave it for a day.
    Then dry the ragi nad set it aside.
    Soak badam for an hour peel off the skin. ( The skin may cause allergy or choking when used as it is . So remember to peel off the skin ) nad let it dry for 2 or 3 days.
    Dry roast the barley for 3 to 4 minutes.

Now mix all the ingredients together and grind in the flour mill.
    If you cant find any grinding machine then try making fine powder using the mixie. Make sure it is fine powdered.

This powder can be stored in an air tight container and be at any time ( Even it wont spoil for couple of months , just be careful that it doesnt get wet )

Now procedure to cook this.

For kids below one year:
    Take 2 table spoons of the powder and mix it in half glass of water.
    Boil 2 glasses of water.
    When the water is boiling pour the mixture into it and stir continuosly so that no lumps are formed. Cook it for about 20 minutes . The more you cook it will be more easy for the baby to digest and it will give a pleasant aroma.
    Add one spoon of sugar finally and mix it well.

For kids above one year :
    You can make using 3 or 4 glasses of water. Just that you have to increase the quantity of the powder.

Ratio is 1 glass water ( approx 150 - 200 ml ) : 1 table spoon of the powder

Instead of sugar you can use pinch of salt as well. For kids below 1 year refrain from giving the salt.

Note:
    Please avoid giving dosa or idly (they are dry food ) instead give ragi and rice and cereals.
    Also avoid giving the ragi malt food available readily from stores
    That contains some of the ingredients not suitable for children below two years.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009