Fancy Dress

Discussion in 'Indians in Qatar' started by Vaishnave, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Vaishnave

Vaishnave Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I have a 2-year-old boy. In a get-together fancy competition, I need some ideas for my son. Could u pls give me some ideas for the fancy dress competition as this is his first stage appearance. Except Spiderman, i dont have any idea in my mind...Also, I dont know where to get this costume here in Qatar...If anyone gives any suggestion will be highly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

VAishnave

2. shahnazshakeel

shahnazshakeel Senior IL'ite

hi vaishanve,

this is shahnaz from dubai. i too have a 4 1/2 old son going to school. i know spiderman and superman are all common in fancy dress. i still remember that boy from my niece class. some years back when i had visited my niece school fancy dress comp.in bombay one boy was dressed up like a mobile supermarket. he was dressed in shirt and pant made of newspaper and many small plastic bags were staped on his dress . each small bag had pulses/cereals/spices/ and many other things available in the supermarket. it was really unique and beleive me, he had won 1st prize. u may give a try, if you wish.

3. Vaishnave

Vaishnave Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanaz,

Thanks for the reply...but my son is just 2-years old..the prob is he cannot be compelled ..watever he wear, he shud be comfortable na...this is my main concern...

Vaishnave

4. Mallika29

Mallika29 New IL'ite

Hi Vaishnave,

You can contact a tailor and get a penguin or bee or rabbit costume stitched. and ask your son to do some actions . It would look cute . Try to download some costumes from the internet and give it to the tailor . He'll get an idea . Good luck to you and your kid.

Mallika

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. shahnazshakeel

shahnazshakeel Senior IL'ite

hi vaishnave,

sorry dear did not realise that your son is too small for this act. i would advice to follow what mallika has suggested you.

6. deekins

deekins New IL'ite

Hi vaishnave,

I have a 3 year old son.I have dressed him up in one costume or the other for each of his bday parties-just for a change and for some pics :)

Some ideas for the fancy dress are -

1.As an Arab - with the thobe and ghutra etc-very easily available in any of the stores - as many small boys also wear it here

2.As cartoon characters -like bugs bunny,mickey mouse etc

3.As animals - elephant,lion etc-as kids generally love animals and cartoons they may be more than willing to dress up as one :)

4.As gods like Krishna,Shiv etc-you may have to look around quite a bit in the souks and shops that sell nick nacks to get this costume ready...maybe even get some tailor to stitch the pieces of the costume

5.As people at work like doctor,or a chef etc

Costume shops :
    1.Party Kingdom -located near jaidah flyover.But you must be willing to shell out anything in the range of 150-300 QR for the costume.I felt the costumes were worth the price because they looked real and plus all my shopping could be finished in one go ;)

2.Giant Store at Hyatt plaza generally stocks some nice animal costumes-and i think are priced much lower than party kingdom

3.Carrefour-though ive not seen it everytime I go.I think it depends on their stock

4.Toys R Us - Again a lil overpriced and dependent on stocks

5.Party Mania - at Royal plaza,Al sadd-has cotumes spanning different price ranges.And their stocks are pretty good

I hope that helps.Feel free to ask me if you need to know anything more...

Divya

7. Vaishnave

Vaishnave Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for all....I willl try any of these after discussing with my hubby and sure let u ppl know what we have decided and later wat happened in the competition also...

thank u

Vaishnave

8. rupashruti

rupashruti Senior IL'ite

Hi vishnave

how are you , i dnt know wheather i am late for the post neverthless i can share few ideas like hanuman , adivasi , traffic signal , colgate tooth paste, krishna , ram , chacha nehru , some which isaw in my daughter"s school
    regards
    rupa

9. Vaishnave

Vaishnave Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

thanks for all ur ideas...now i have more ideas...i will let u know once it is done..

vaishnave