1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Applying vicks vaporub for 11 month old baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by rakshantha, Apr 7, 2009.

1. rakshantha

rakshantha New IL'ite

hi

Can v apply vicks vaporub for a 11 month old baby.

regards
    rakshantha

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

direct application of vicks should be avoided on infants .in this forum itself i read a great tip.apply vicks on the soles of a kid & let then wear cotton socks when the r about to sleep.it opens blocked nose & let them sleep peacefully.this is how i apply vicks on my sons(4.5 & 11 mths old)

3. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Pragathi,
    I read that you had 2 sons..first one is 11 months old and the second one is 4.5 months old!!! I was so confusedbonkbonk.Then realized that it is 4.5 yrs!!!
    My god...how much i laughedBig Laugh.Just a funny note,nothing serious dear..

Take care,
    suji

4. umarayan

umarayan Senior IL'ite

Hi
    you can apply on chest and back,mix vicks with coconut oil and apply,so it never hurt baby.
    vicks very good for infants.really in works

thanks
    uma

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Menthol, camphor (active ingredients in Vicks Vaporub) can be poisonous for children (hepatoneuro toxins) and cause more breathing difficulty. Best not to apply it on their person/body. Instead just add a drop of eucalyptus or tea tree oil on a hanky and put it right next to their bed. Use a humidifier or just leave a bowl of warm water with drops of teatree oil next to the baby's bed.

Rakshantha, just saw your other post about asthmatic bronchitis: never apply vicks for children with asthma, makes it worse, worse. I would almost choke everytime my mother applied vicks till our doc said how it could make it worse. Just my two cents. Johnson and Johnson makes a vicks-like product for infants. Check that one out.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. rakshantha

rakshantha New IL'ite

hi sujimallige, umarayan and mahajanpragathi

Thanks do much for ur tips and suggestions.

Tikka thanku so much for ur advice. My son had got severe cough and his lungs were conjested. But he did not wheeze or have any breathing difficulties. He is reacting to medicine and slowly his chest conjestion is getting relieved. I hope he will b alright in a week or two. Meanwhile i will follow ur advice. Thank u once again.

regards
    rakshantha

7. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi suji,
    glad you had a good laugh.i seem to have created a new record......... with a gap of just 6.5 mths between two of them............:thumbsup
    what a super mom i am :)
    pragati