1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who takes care of your kids?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by asha_karthik, Feb 16, 2009.

Who takes care of your kids while you are away at work?

1. Full time day care or school + after school day care (depending on the child's age)

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. Inlaws

12 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Parents or other relatives

18 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. Full-time maid

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  5. Full-time or Part-time maid under the supervision of parents/inlaws/other relatives

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Child old enough to stay at home alone after school

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. varajayasidd

varajayasidd New IL'ite

Hi

I have one cute kid 2.5 years old boy named : Siddharth .My Inlaws takes care of my child . They are taking care with lots of interests . Iam working women so because of them i dont worry of my childIam very happy

2. mukal

mukal New IL'ite

:coffee I have full time maid at home. She takes care of both my sons and ofcourse mine. She is really helpful in terms of understanding my requirements as we both being working people. I too mention this to her and takes care of her and hence we have a smooth run till now.

3. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Mukal,
    Great to know that your maid is very good and satisfies you. May I know from where you got your maid?

4. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Lucky you varajayasidd.. i am grateful to my inlaws too as they are taking care of my kid now.

5. asha_karthik

good mukal. if she is handling ur kids with no supervision, do you make surprise visits to home to keep a watch on her? what other methods do you follow to make sure she is doing her job fine?

6. asha_karthik

hi AD
    thank you first of all for this long post and tonnes of information. everything is going to be useful to me. i am still hving the option of hving a maid open (have not discussed with my inlaws yet on this one). My kid might still like to continue the routine she has with her thatha/patti. But the one to be born can be made to get used to the maid. so it wud be that the maid might hv to do the work for 1.5 kids.. as my LO wud still continue to eat/sleep with her thatha/patti.

Problem with my ILs and the maid could be different. My mil likes to get a good name from everyone around... esp she likes everyone to say "you are very active, and you do all work yourself and with perfection". with my current maid who just does the house chores, i found it very difficult to make her work for the amount i pay her. not that my mil will do everything with perfection, but she has a pattern.. and only that is right. so, instead of correcting the maid if she does anything different/wrong, she will prefer to do it herself.

Very true.. i will hv to first come up with a list of things that i need to involve the maid in... the list you hv given here will definitely be useful. (feeding the baby, washing clothes, ironing, sterlising, playing/talking with the baby). pls do let me know if any of you can think of more chores. also do ur sis or others here allow the maid to do some small work in the kitchen? i am worried how my inlaws will receive this, though i at least want her to do the boiling milk, boiling water, making kanji or whatever the baby is fed. not sure if my inlaws will allow that.

thanks again AD...

7. Starh

Starh New IL'ite

To Rithi: I live in the States also, but have a wonderful alternative to having a Maid, or relatives, or daycare: There is a large community of Indians/Bengalis in Dallas, where I am, and many of the ladies don't work... I have had a wonderful Bangladeshi lady that has taken care of my children for the last 10 years. She doesn't charge much -- a fraction of what daycare charges, plus she is the same religion as me and I don't have to worry about what kind of food she gives them. Now that they are a little older, I'm even paying her daughter to tutor them in religious instruction and Bangla. Maybe you could find someone in your community? It is extra spending cash for those stay-at-home moms, and it also creates a stronger cultural identity for the kids...

8. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Yes, boiling milk, making kanji or any baby food should be the maid's work too. Anything related to the baby. So she feels fully responsible for the baby. As I said, you can train her during the days you will be in your mom's place after delivery so she will get used to your way of doing things.

9. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

OK, mine is a long story. My kid was born in US and i took break until she turned 4 months. then she went to day care there which was just 2 blocks away from my home as well as office. so no problem. after we came to india, uh! my MIL is not good enof to take care of this ACTIVE kid. she is too aged to run behind her. we tried looking for personal services but to our annoyance she was rude towards my 1.5 year old sweet little one. we tried dropping her every day morning at my mom's place and pick her in the evening. first few days were ok but later we got exhausted, including the kid. so decided to drop her full time in my mom's place and pick her for weekends and whenever we feel like and whenever she is sick. then my mom was kind of sick, so decided to put her in daycare. there - i think she is fine. at times i feel like am not fit enof or taking good care of my kid :(

Moral of the story - get married and get a child soon before your parents/In laws turn old! gee!

10. asha_karthik

very true shri.. but this works with only ppl who are ready to take care of kids.