1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling to India - share lists, tips & suggestions

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vmur, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Travelling to India with baby

Megha - I've merged your thread with our rather voluminous existing thread on the same topic. Please do go through it and feel free to ask if you have any specific questions - I'm sure our moms will help :)

Vanathi.

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

Re: Visiting India with a baby

hi,
    check the forum Infant under Family and Relationship.

3. meghakapoor

meghakapoor New IL'ite

Thanks Amallela!!! much appreciated.

4. meghakapoor

meghakapoor New IL'ite

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>Hi Amallela,

Did you give boiled water to your son? I am really worried about preparing formula using water. Is tap water safe??? bottled water???? boiled water??? What did you do when your son got sick with diahherea?? visited doctor in india or just tried old home/grandma tricks???

Thanks

5. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Re: Travelling to India with baby

While travelling with infants do we have to take the carseat in flight? or just the stroller is enough? for stroller, the umbrella stroller wont be suitable for infant, so do we have to take the regular stroller? how do mommies travelling alone manage the stroller, another toddler and luggage? i am just thinking abt it and confused.

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Priya,

Even though the stroller and car seat are allowed till the board in point,when i went to india last time,they collected the stroller and car seat and i had to collect it back only at the final destination.Since I had to manage only one kid in London,i managed.But with the toddler , another kid and luggage it is difficult if you don't have the stroller.

You can otherwise use a sling if u wish if you are travelling by 2-3 months and take the umbrella stroller with you ,so that you can use it when u come back.

7. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thankyou Manjulats.
    why did i never think of baby carrier,i do have one. even while returning i think i can use it as the baby wont be too big. after they are a yr old we can use umbrella stroller right?
    so baby in the carrier and stroller for my toddler and then a backpack for baby stuff. will this work?

Yes last time when i went with my toddler they took the stroller and we got it back only when we collected our luggages at final destination. since dh was there we managed to take care of our hyper active toddler.:)
    this time i am thinking of a direct flight so no need to change gates or flights inbetween.

8. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Good that you have a direct flight from NJ->chennai.

9. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

I am not sure if it is from Nj, i think NY. i haven't yet looked into that details yet.

10. meena_arun

meena_arun Senior IL'ite

Hi Frens,
    I went through the whole thread, but still a few more questions popped up in my mind. I will be travelling with my infant by end of june when he will be 8 and half months.

1. If we dont get a bassinet in the flight, can we take our car seat inside the flight? In that way my son can sleep in something that is already familiar?

2. While in India, I may have to travel to some relatives places which are 2 hours or 3 hours travel and sometimes may be a whole night travel (8 or 9 hours). Is it ok for me to use public transportation like buses and trains? How comfortable will our babies be in the train or bus. Cos here he is used to riding in his car seat always when we go out in the car. I have never tried taking him in any other means of public transportation here.

3. And while in india, there will be lots of suggestions from all the elders around us, like do this for ur some, do that, feed this, feed that, this is good for him etc...etc.... sometimes I think that whatever they tell may be good (bcos they are elders and have more experience than us) and i may tend to do it blindly but may regret later for doing so....So How do you all cope up with this? How to manage this situation and how to sort out what is right for the baby?

I think this is it for now...but will come up with a lot more questions soon....

Cheers,
    Meena