1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The right way to eat a banana!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 22, 2009.

1. arshi1611

arshi1611 New IL'ite

Hi cheeniya sir,
    I've been away for very long time but the moment i got back i logged on and searched for your posts:coffee this post is simply great and only you could write this with so much ease and simplicity... generally we don't even pay attention to such things.We've become so mechanical that we don't stop to think about what and how we do things...i was laughing while reading this n at the same time trying to think how i peel the banana and yes get rid of the bruised end Big Laugh... your post are definitely a pleasure to read.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Arshi
    The moment I read this FB of yours, I went to your profile and saw that you were putting in your presence in IL exactly after a year, your last visit being on 5th March 2008. What is more interesting is that you joined IL in March 2007. Looks like you visit IL only on the anniversary of your joining the Community! But it is a singular honour that you sought out my Ramblings the moment you logged in. Such simple joys make my life so much more worth living! A big thanks for it!

I am glad you enjoyed this post. I am gladder that you have provided one more proof for Darwin! He must be very thankful to me for getting such massive support from IL for his theory. Had he been alive, he would have mentioned me as a co-author of his 'Origin of Species'!
    Sri

3. arshi1611

arshi1611 New IL'ite

Dear sir,
    I was pleasantly surprised that you actually went and checked out the information...i myself don't remember my joining date or when i logged in last except that i realised that it had been a long time.:)
    As far as reading ur posts its always been a pleasure and and I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts in such a wonderful way with all of us.Its surely a treat for me.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I believe we have so many proofs among us to confirm Darwin's theory. One of them is our fickle mind getting distracted quickly to something else while doing one thing. If we observe monkeys we can clearly understand that they have this trait and move very quickly to do something else half way through doing something else. Another noticeable trait is when we eat, our rotary movement of our jaw is exactly similar to the monkeys. Most animals, move their jaw up and down but not in a rotary movement like monkeys and humans. When politicians move from one ideology to another or one political party to another, they prove the traits of their ancestors as well. The monkeys finger and palm formation enable them to eat nuts the way human beings eat them by throwing one at a time into their mouth. Very similar to human beings, monkeys also go out of the way to establish their credentials by doing acrobats in a spectacular fashion when trained by human beings. If they were to be considered for Olympics, most of the athletics would be won by them. There are many more noticeable traits but I only listed a few here.

Viswa

5. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    I am overawed by the extra proofs that you have furnished in support of Darwin's theory. The fickle-mindedness of monkeys has surely been handed down to their human successors several times over. Cho Ramasamy even produced a play titled 'Manam oru kurangu' and he knows what he is talking about.

The rotary movement of jaws while eating is something I never thought of. I took a 'murukku' and ate it watching my jaw movement carefully in the mirror and you are absolutely right. Though this action of mine gave some anxious moments to my wife, she was relieved when I told her the purpose. She informed me that instead of looking at the mirror, I could have asked her. She went on to confirm that in my case , the movement was not only rotary but in all directions and the movements continued even long after I swallowed whatever I was eating!

Throwing the nuts into my mouth is the only art that I am yet to perfect. Presently the ratio is one to hundred which means 99 nuts lie scattered all around me implying that I am in one of my intense practice sessions!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniys sir,

this is one ramble that took me from one place to another quickly. Oh boy! that brings us back to monkeys again. Doesn't it? and had me eventually laughing in splits along with my DH yesterday. Before I take you on that journey, let me give you the original feedback I intended and then explain to you what happened. I am sure you will not mind my indulgence here. So Cheeniya sir, as for that banana, it is usually cut into a half for the bananas are so darn big here and depending on which side I have been left with, I eat holding that end. Based on that for that day I consider myself belonging to my mom's side of the family or my dads! if you are wondering how, here's why -

A little girl asked her Dad, "How did the human race appear?"
    The Dad answered, "God made Adam and Eve and they had children,
    And so was all mankind made.."

Two days later the girl asked her mother the same question.

The mother answered,
    "Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved."

The confused girl returned to her father and said,

"Dad, how is it possible that you told me the human race was created by God,
    And mom said they developed from monkeys?"
    The father answered,
    "Well, Dear, it's very simple. I told you about my side of the family
    And your mother told you about hers."

Used appropriately, I am sure that should put to rest the arguments amongst the different proponents. Now the next step for you is to wonder as to how I got this joke. If you are not sir, I am asking you to. This joke is all thanks to a conversation I had with a group of people recently. Now you mentioning Darwin reminded me of the conversation and wanting to check those facts led me to the joke and the actual subject I was looking up - the Darwin Awards. Knowing you you might have heard about the awards. Yet!

While I appreciate the effort that has gone into the thought behind this Banana eating and the other theories to substantiate the Darwinian Theory in this thread alone, these guys here at the Darwin awards are ingenious I think for the award is explained thus

"In the spirit of Charles Darwin, the Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives. Darwin Award winners eliminate themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chances of long-term survival." Darwin Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you know the right thing to do sir! Get on the net and surf for Darwin's awards by the years and you will understand as to what led that much laughter in our house yesterday and hopefully will do the same to you! Just to give you a glimpse here's one link - Darwin Awards 2012

All because of a banana!

2 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Dear Cheeniya sir,

That was the effect this snippet had on me - not to say anything about the fact that the high pitched laughter that came out of my throat in short bursts certainly reminded and convinced me of my place on the evolutionary tree. :biggrin2:

As for eating the fruit, I am a neutralist - I don't eat bananas. The day I feel like, I know my tummy is behaving like an ape making me instinctively want to eat the fruit. As for looking like a half-sib of Laurel and Hardy, I am convinced I am a long lost twin of the latter. :-D

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    You should not be alternating between an ancestry of monkeys and Adam&Eve depending on which side of the banana you get to eat. That smacks of lack of conviction. If you strongly believe in your simian ancestry and are proud of it, you must fight for the stem side of the fruit instead of eating what comes your way! Having said that, I must compliment you for providing us with a fantastic joke. It is a profound one too! Mothers have always displayed a tendency to bring up their children in an ambience of truth, facts and figures. That explains the fact why women can stand anything but lies! Fathers are on the contrary live by the hour and they explain away complex questions of their children (and, of course their wives!) with answers that touch upon fantasy and when they are cornered, their resourcefulness comes to the fore as in the instant case. Men are by nature escapists and truth is a luxury for most of them unless they nurse a secret desire of becoming another Father of the Nation!

Thank you for providing me the link to Darwin Awards. But I must tell you the truth that it made me a bit sad. I really do not understand why this Award should be given only posthumously. There are many instances of rib breaking, rip roaring monkey tricks that are committed by humans day in and day out. Why can't they select one of them?
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Satchi
    I know the word for a bird watcher. It is ornithologist. But what is a monkey watcher called? I am one of them and I would love to know to what illustrious group I belong. Coming to the point, even after years of watching monkeys starting from my childhood days in Triplicane to the present day, I have never had the pleasure of watching a monkey laughing uncontrollably. That it is usually high pitched and comes in short bursts is a great piece of news that extends the frontiers of my knowledge further!

Unlike you, I love bananas and its yummy variations like the Banana Boat and Banana Milk Shake with vanilla ice cream, the idea being to be able to resemble Hardy finally by consuming them. Between Laurel and Hardy, Hardy was the more popular any day. He should have been called Softy. Why did his creator give him a name that conjured up an image of a cross between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone? God knows!
    Sri

1 person likes this.