IL ites in and around Mylapore, mandaveli.

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by shree, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shree, my star is "Pooram" and born on the last day in Panguni and my DOb is 12th April (year..........guess) so now you know............that my star comes on 63moovar day.

2. Sudha Kailas

Jayashree, I had a friend in 5th Trust cross the same road as S.Ve.Shekhar and probably we may have passed thro'.
    I studied in St. John's Mandaveli, how about you?????
    I too miss Kalathi Kadai and you forgot J.A. stores for all the fancy stuff..........

3. Jayashree Natarajan

Jayashree Natarajan New IL'ite

I studied in St.Antony's Girls High School. Ya, how come I missed JA stores from where I have bought almost all chota things like hairpins, rubberband and dolls etc. :)

Thanks for reminding me

Jayashree

4. sunflower19

sunflower19 New IL'ite

Hello All,

I am so happy to see a thread about my hometown: MYLAPORE!!! We lived in Mylapore( near P.S.Senior) for about 10 years so I have the fondest memories of the place..I really really miss the walks to the market and eating at karpagambal mess (YUMMMMMMM!!!)..I used to frequent the anjaneyar temple and shirdi sai temple too...is anyone still living in the area? I am now in the US..

5. keshavkutts

keshavkutts Senior IL'ite

Dear all,

Nice see a thread on MYLAPORE......I was born and raised there for about 15 years then shifted to trichy...Spent all my childhood days in and around mylapore....near sanskrit college... I sure miss the walk to close by temples, luz corner, aavin stall to have a most delicious cone ice cream....
    a week back I met one of my childhood friend here in chicago after 23 years and instantly recognised eachother......was a terrific moment...

6. Jayashree Natarajan

Hi sudha

Kalathi kadai is still there but devoid of the original charm, maybe due to many other Hi-fi stores around the area now. I was in Chennai during last golu when I had the opportunity to check on the 'bommais' on the pavement and even bought some.

I still buy Narthangai and pachai molagu from the lady who sits in North Mada Street. Ambika appalam has become a big shop now not only selling appalams but almost anything and everything.

In our busy life schedule, this is a nice forum to share our thoughts and no matter how far we are globally, we do have the same evergreen memories of Mylapore and that has brought us close together. Hope some day we would meet.

Jayashree

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Mylapore ladies,

I am not one of you, but aspire to be so.But with land prices being what it is in Mylapore, I guess me buying a house in Mylapore will remain a dream. My mom carries Mylapore, tank road, Rasi and all the smells and sights of Mylai in her heart always.

I need some info,please. I am looking for the contact details of Muthal, an exclusive boutique where Chettinad sarees are sold. Any pointers? Mom is coming to Mylapore next week.

8. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends!

I have shifted to T.nagar, but would like to bring my g.son to watch 'arubathumoovar' which we as kids used to enjoy.

My gran had a friend in the south mada street, and we used to position ourselves,i.e. me and my siblings, well ahead of the evening, so that we would have uninterrupted and free viewing of the procession of the gods.

Is there anyone now, who can accomodate viewers like that?My g.son is a toddler and I would very much like him to watch everything, without the crowd pushing and pulling, etc.

Even when I write this post I am engulfed in those nostlagic few hours.

9. Sudha Kailas

Hi Jayashree,

Yes, Mylapore has changed so much with all big shops etc, etc.... over the road. My granny always used to stop her rikshaw(I reminded you of this transport) and buy all the goodies for us when she comes visiting when we moved to Mandaveli.

I miss the Navarathri times when we go for bommai hunting.

I still keep the golu here every year and my husband though from Mumbai and has never kept golu in my in-laws still loves to organise the padi. I am allowed only to keep the "Kalasam" and light the lamp........Rest all he takes over.

I am in India end of this month especially Chennai.
    Any chance from your side?

Take care,
    Sudha

10. Jayashree Natarajan

Hi Sudha

I will be in Chennai May end and later in July end when my younger daughter is getting married in Sept.

Guess what, if we happen to meet in person, we might have met each other somewhere or maybe connect to links of friends.

Best wishes
    Jayashree