1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India with a baby / toddler (17 month old)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 3, 2006.

1. sarasthara

sarasthara Bronze IL'ite

Re: Traveling to india with toddler

Hi AmruthaS,:hiya
    I was in ur position last month. recently moved from India to Dallas with my 15month old son. like your kid he also having feedingbottle habit.I dont felt very hard to manage my kid as i thought.
    you pls take some toys which your kid likes more, snacks,colourful books so you can distract your kid while crying. frequently give milk or snacks bcos jaw movement reduse pressure pain.
    make a reservation or ask for bulkhead seat which provide room for ur child to play,sit,stand...............
    Take help from airhostess to strelise or refill the feedingbottle with milk, if she is in formula
    have them in handluggage.take separete handluggage for ur baby with her required stuffs like dresses,diapers,wipes,cotton,rash cream...........
    dont forget to take medicine for fever,vommitting,colic pain.......

take advise from ur pediatrician about ur travel so that they may suggest you with sleeping syrup for ur child to sleep during takeoff & landing.

hope this may help you,

Have a safe and happy journey......

cheers,
    Saras:thumbsup

2. AmruthaS

AmruthaS New IL'ite

Re: Traveling to india with toddler

Thanks.. I was not sure i get milk and info about sterilise. your post really helps !!

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Sara, How did u sterilise bottles in flight?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. sarasthara

sarasthara Bronze IL'ite

Hi AmruthaS & sanravi_1970,

There is no proficiency for using steam steriliser in flight but u can get help from airhostees to sterilise the bottle by submerging them in a boiling water for at least five minutes & refill them with milk which is available all time.

Saras

5. meghakapoor

meghakapoor New IL'ite

Visiting India with a Baby

Hi All,

I am travelling to India in April with my 6 month old daughter and will be staying there for 10 days. Any suggestions and precautions as I am travelling with baby. Also, if anyone has a list of things I must carry with me that is required for the baby.

Please reply soon.

Thanks in advance.
    Megha

6. AmruthaS

AmruthaS New IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. I came back from india trip. It was hard travelling alone with infant. As i have to change terminal in london, heathrow air port they made us go through security check. And asked us to take out all liquids. I was asked to drink my daughter's milk and water from sippy cups, and bottles. I had carried some gerber food, which contains liquid in sealed cans. I thought its fine, but in scanner they could see that... i ended up going through full search of my bag... and waited almost 1 and half hour. Became last one to get on plane...

I had also forgotton tylenol in one of the pockets... they found that too... so..

Except that everything went well...
    Plane was pretty empty... but most of the seats was occupied by people who travel alone.... It will be nice if first priority given to passenger with infants or some curtesy to passenger with infants.... At least our infants sleep for sometime ....

thanks.

7. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Travelling with Infant

Hello,

I'm planning to travel to India with my 1 yr old daughter this summer travelling Malaysian Airlines from Seattle to Chennai (3 stopovers with one 8+ hours stopover at Kaula Lumpur). It is quite a long route, as we couldnot get tickets in the shorter/more direct flights.

I saw other posts on travelling with infants on relatively shorter/more direct flights.

But has someone taken such long flights with infants? Can you please narrate your experiences? Has anyone taken Malaysian airlines, in particular? Do they offer bassinet? and can we get the stroller in Kaula Lumpur (since I have about 8+ hours transit time)

I want to make it a pleasant experience for me as well as the baby.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you!!
    GV

8. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Re: Travelling with Infant

Me too travelled with my baby in malaysian airlines when she was 5 months old. They do offer bassinet but u need to call them and reserve. u can take the stroller in K'pur.

Even u can take the stroller in other stop overs so that u can keep ur baby and other bags in the stroller and it's easy for u...don't worry...

it's going to be a nice journey

bon voyage...

Indra

9. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi smart_soul,

Your travel experience totally depends on your babys mood that day and how they react to the flight. In Jet Airways they would give baby food on request. You can call Malaysian airlines to check if they offer the same (should be fairly standard). Food, diaperers, some toys to play with would be the basic, some baby tylenol (just as a precaution), infant thermometer. Might want to offer foods that your child is familiar with.

10. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

Also just wanted to suggest to find about the stroller if they can give during the wait time. If you can use umbrella stroller, ask them if they would take it at gate and give back at stop over. Without a stroller, carrying a baby for 8 hours might be hard.