1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you call ur MIL and FIL and how do ur parents react to the same

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by poorniyuv, Mar 27, 2009.

1. poorniyuv

poorniyuv New IL'ite

Hi

Just curious to know how do u call them.is it "Athai" meaning aunt or "amma"..
    To start with I call them "amma" and "appa" respectively.....My parents especially my amma is damn against it...u should see her face turn when i call my mil "amma" in front o her.....poor soul think she is very possessive of me....but one regret is my dh calls my parents "mama" and "mami"....why this discretion?

2. oldgold27

oldgold27 New IL'ite

This a very interesting thread you have started.

I can well relate with your mother for when my son got married, for a while I could not adjust to his calling his mother-in-law 'mom'. Slowly I came to accept it mainly because I liked when my DIL called me mummy.

Yes a lot of girls and boys take time to adjusting to calling someone else 'mom' and 'Pa'. The adjustment has to be gone through by the parents too.

Looking forward to others' responses too.

3. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

I avoid calling them anything, preferring to address them to their faces so as to avoid "titles". I am respectful, but I am not at all comfortable with calling them "Amma" and "Appa". I want to call them "Mami" and "Mama" but my MIL will throw a hissy fit, although she won't allow her son (my Hubby) to call my parents "Amma" and "Appa"! Anyway, my in-laws aren't my parents any more than my parents are my hubby's parents.

When my own kids grow up and marry, I would have NO issues with our children's spouses calling us "Mami" and "Mama", rather than "Amma" and "Appa". They will have their own parents, after all, and we will never take their parents' places. EVER. If, after a few years of knowing us, they get comfortable enough with us to call us, "Amma" and "Appa", THEN, I'd be happy. But at the very beginning of our relationship, I'd actually even want them to refer to us as "Mami" and "Mama".

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. umarao02

umarao02 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I call my MIL as "AMMA" and my parents are fine with that.My DH calls my parents as "UNCLE and AUNTIE or ATHAI and MAAMA..."..I too feel that MIL can never become a mother and vice-versa to my DH.

cheers,
    Uma.

5. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

I call my MIL 'AMMA'. Before wedding my mom asked me to call my MIL as Amma only as at ouor house, ladies call MIL as 'Amma'. My In-laws had said I can call 'Maami' or 'Athai'. But I didnt like that, I chose to call her Amma only.
    Ofcourse Ladies:cheers, MIL can never be MOM!

6. shanti2000

shanti2000 New IL'ite

Me and my husband both calls our inlaws...mummy and paapa...wht confusion there is..this is the rule evrywhere i guess.

7. b86monica

b86monica New IL'ite

Me and my husband both calls our inlaws - Uncle and Auntie

8. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

Both DH and me call as 'Athai' & 'Maama'...thats how everyone in our family calls the in-laws. Both his parents and mine are happy about it since its the norm...No 'Amma' / 'Appa' for in-laws in our families...!

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I don't talk to my inlaws anymore. In the beginning I just directed my conversation to them to avoid using names. Then I started sending emails calling them Mom & Dad, until I found out mil and sil were causing trouble... again. And I thought to myself, why call a woman who is trying to destory my life, "Mom"???

In an ideal world, my mil likes to be called Mummyji. She loves to talk about how my dh's ex called her Mummyji. "Yes, mummyji. No, mummyji. Anything for you, mummyji." Needless to say, I do not call her mummyji.

However, when talking about her to dh, I refer to her as mummyji. You see, my mil tortured me for the past two years, so it's only fair my dh suffers along with me, even if it's in a small way. It irritates him to hear that term for her because it reminds him of ex. It's ok. Let it remind him of all the abuse his mom metted out to me. Some things are important to never forget. My 2cents

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I call my MIL amma. I got married in a matter of a week and before I could even call my MIL anything my Grandma told me I shud call my MIL amma. My Grandma's DIL's call her the same. I barely had any time or energy to think and just went along with it.Though I was/am against it . But after that when its really no choice I call her that.The fact that I meet them once in 2/3 yrs for a day or 2 when I go to India makes it all the more easier.To my FIL its always Maama.Of course to both of them when I meet its always Neevu(i.e like Aap in Hindi).Left to me I prefer not to address them with anything but talk bare minimum.My parents dont mind this at all.
    My husband addresses my parents as Aunty ,Uncle.I dont mind him calling my parents Aunty,Uncle as long as it not by their names.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009