1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moved from TX to CA, things to do next?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by dhanasathesh, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dhanasathesh

dhanasathesh New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

We were in Austin, TX for past 1.5 years and we moved from there to Burbank, CA last week. So my question is what are the updates I have to make in this new city/state. In what all are the informations I have to update my current address. My million dollar doubt is about the Driving license and car registration. My haubby is having TX DL. Whether he has to change his DL in CA? And our car is registered in TX, whether we have to change the registration too? If so, what is the procedure? If so, what is the procedure?

I know so many of you had this kind of experience, so please guide us...

Thanks in advance...

-Dhana Sathesh

2. goodfreind

goodfreind Senior IL'ite

if he is paying tax here he has to change DL ...but it is no need to

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Dhana Satesh:
    Legally you have a certain period to change the drivers license and the registration. If the police stop you and you are not regiestered in the next state, you can get a ticket. Go to the local state motor vehicle office and change there. Many states have agreements so he may either be able to just change the license or to only do the written test. You can get address change cards at the local post office. You need to change your motor vehicle insurance to the new state. BTW, if you have a motor vehicle insurance you might also get a good deal on renters insurance from your insurance carrier which is good in case you get robbed or your building burns down, etc. You can also do a mail forwarding from Texas to California for your mail. I don't know how long that is now (6 mos? 1 yr?) which is free and useful while you do your address changes.
    Good luck on your move
    Tina

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Dheena,

If your move to CA is permanent/long duration then the car registration and the driver's license need to changed asap.

Please contact the local DMV and fix an appointment. Change the car registrn and the drivers license soon.

You can fill the form online or in person to complete the procedure. Since you already have the license, you may just need the transfer. Very rarely do states ask you to take the drivers test again.

Good luck!

Cheers
    Krithika

5. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Hi,

We just moved to CA. You must change the car Registration a.s.a.p and for DL transfer in LA it's a mandatory written test to be passed. They usually don't ask for a behind the wheel test. Just go to your local dmv online site and check the details.

Enjoy CA... I used to live in TX and I really miss TX the most.

~ Sai

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

You definitely need to change your DL and Registration.Contact the local DMV and probably you may need to take just a written test.

7. saritaji

saritaji New IL'ite

Hi, what a strange coincidence. I have been living near burbank (san fernando valley) for the last 10 years and recently decided to move to Austin.

Anyway, the california dmv(department of motor vehicles) have all the info on their website - www.dmv.ca.gov . Check it out. You would have to inform them of the address change, and they would guide you on the vehicle registration part.

In the past, when I moved to California, I did not have to take the driving test. With a written test, they updated my drv license to california one.

Hope this helps
    Sarita.