1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bedtime - routines, techniques, time and tips

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vasera, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: When your baby go to bed??

Cheer,

I am not able to tell exactly how you must program her routine. With our children, week-ends are also the same bed time. Children do not understand week days and week-ends!

It isn't necessary that you should advance your bed time to suit your child's bed time:) see now it's 1/2 hr to midnight... these days i rarely have energy to stay up such long but i had to finish few pending admin stuff... so that aside what i'm saying is my children went to bed at 7.30 and i'm still up.

I remember a particular time when my son was in the phase of skipping one of the nap times and he used to end up napping at 5... i know that tricky period. Only solution is to take them out on walk or engage them otherwise at that time.

Please tell your husband that no routine can be done by one parent alone... you both have to stick to it when mutually agreed. If the child senses that dad is a bit lenient then he's up for greater challenges... our boy now tries to trick me or DH by saying the other person said it's okay not to have shower today!

don't take it very hard both of you. It's a slow process and getting stressed about it will not help at all.

Latha

2. Priya0425

Priya0425 New IL'ite

3. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

raj, latha, vanathi and krithika.....u all are so so so lucky ur LO's goes to sleep early. for me its like a big challenge. Azmeena & Aaliyah both sleep late 11-12. they wake up also late. actually DH comes homes anytime after 9 thers no fixed timing. and he doesnt want to miss playing with the kids coz he wants to do his part of parenthood. but in the bargain we both dont get time for each other at all.
    im gonna hv a hard time Witsend from sept coz im planning to put Azmeena in pre school...

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi zeenat,

I have heard some children go late to bed and get up late as well by nature. Actually I, if given a chance, would love to get up late only (say 7.30am) but ever since my son had his routine fixed he would wake up at 6-6.30 and come running to me. Atleast now he goes to his papa first phew....

My husband too has erratic work hours. If he is on a project with US then he has bizzare conference call timings. Only now, because of the economic down-turn, he's able to come home by 7. But i make sure that our son eats food before that. I have come this way only after struggling with all bad timings. There were so many days when my husband would love to eat with all of us but my boy would be so excited seeing his father; eating is forgottenbonk. So we made a rule like this. Also i think because he goes to pre-school he himself gets hungry and sleepy on time. I only have to see how it goes in summer with long day lights.

There have been days DH has come home at 1 am!!! I hope those days don't return. Even i didn'T get to talk to him during week-days. But he makes it up in the mornings...

Latha

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Zeenat - My DH comes home after 10 pm most nights (9.45 if i'm very lucky and that hasnt happened in months!). If I were to allow Aadhu to wait up to see his Dad we would never get dinner done or get to spend any time together. So Aadhu goes to bed well before his Dad gets home. Fortunately for us DH and I both have to leave for work only at 9 (we commute for a total of 5 minutes!) and DH is at home for an hour in the evenings as well so he gets his time with Aadhu then. If you are planning on pre-school soon then you should really think about changing bedtime now so that everything doesnt change all at once - reduce the stress of starting school a little bit.

V.

6. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

latha & vanathi....what im thinking is waking my DD one hr early and same for sleeping time. may be she wont be able to handle a drastic time change. then when she is thru with one hr, again one hr early wake up and one hr early sleep. hope till sept things will be fine. i dont want a sudden change nor do i want to tell her im doing this bcoz of pre school. she loves the thought of going to pre school i dont want anythg else to change that feeling of hers. let me know if what im doing is ok. or any other advice moms....

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Zeenat, I would begin with 30 minutes increments instead of an hour. Good luck!

Raj

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Yes - 15 to 30 minute changes- an hour seems too drastic.

V.

9. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

thanks raj and vanathi. yesterday i tried putting her to bed 30mins b4 usual time. to my suprise she slept 20mins earlier than her usual time. not bad na for day 1.

10. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

even i also put her half an hour before.