1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When your mother becomes MIL ?????

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SiriVeda, Mar 12, 2009.

1. saikeerthana

saikeerthana New IL'ite

My mother was the best mIL ,i would say .She is no more.
    She was very very soft.infact my brother took very much advantage of it.This was before his marriage ,though my would be SIL 's house was next road ,my brother asked my mother to prepare things for her friends on her birthday.many horrible memories how they troubled my mom and i really don't want to remember ,it hurts a lot.She was as good as god .

regards

sai

2. sonu1973

sonu1973 New IL'ite

Hi

This is a good thread.

I already have this dilema with my mum.

She was fine with my bhabhi before but i don't know what has happened to her that she has turned against her.
    My bhabhi has 2 young boys and she does not get any help from my mum so she gets help from her mother which is fine..i dont see a problem with that.
    My bhabhi and bro used to live together for 5 years and then they moved and bought a bigger house so that my mum could come with her. My mum was fine with that but then she went on holiday and came back and said i want to go to my house..so my bhabhi said no u come to our house we got everythign ready so she said no...Then she made indirect comments to my bhabhi saying she has heard this and that from her family.
    I suggested to my mum to speak clearly and clarify with my bhabhi what has happend an she refused and now the problem has got so big..
    I stood up for my bhabhi as in certain things she is right so now my mum is not talking to me but i dotn think its right that i defend my mum even though she is wrong..my bhbahi is someone elses daughter too and if she has no support then where will she go.
    i sat down and told my mum that what u are doing is wroing u need to sort out the issues u hve with her or what u have heard but she says no she dont like her or her mum..so i said these things are not right as she is ur dil and her mum will remain her mum no matter what u think..
    so many issues have happened which i am sad to say that my mum has caused herself and now she is living alone which is no ones fault but hers but she does not see it.
    Its so sad but if someone has a ego and believes what they are doing is right then u cant help them unless they see sense themseleves.
    I will carry on supporting my bhabhi but its sad that my mum is not happy that we get on rather then trying to cause a problem

3. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Dear Saikeerthana,

Its so sad to hear about your mother. People don't realize the importance of a person when he/she is around.

May god bless her peace and happiness wherever she is.

4. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Dear Sonu,

Thats so sad to hear.....I guess some one would have poisoned her thoughts...As a mother I am sure she would be getting restless without talking to you, try inviting her to your house or take her out on a holiday with you (only your family...try not to include your brother's) to some pilgrimage or some hill station.

When she is in good and happy mood,you can probably ask her about the problem. Ask her to tell you, promise her that you will not share it with anyone and you will be on her side. She might give in hopefully. It's very clear that something is bothering her....talk to her patiently and get it......

sindmani likes this.
  5. N@!Sr!

N@!Sr! Senior IL'ite

6. sonu1973

sonu1973 New IL'ite

Hi Siriveda and N@!SR!

Thank you for your nice words and thoughts.
    Yes it has been quite hard to explain to my own mother where she has gone wrong but she dosent want to acknowledge her mistakes.
    Its so sad to see lady how has a son and dil who are willing to look after her in this day and age, who are financially stable too but she has kicked her own destiny herself.
    She had vertigo last week and choose to call the neighbours to get her shopping n medicine rather then calling her own kids and this is all down to ego...still today i went to see her.
    Thing is that mum is not willing to listen to justification of my bhabhi she just goes on about her own records and its so hard not to loose ur temper when she dosent understand.
    i will keep on trying but it like i am stuck in the middle.
    i just hope that one day she realises before its to late.
    im not proud of going against my mother but i cant side someone if they are not right no matter who they are and sadly this time its my own mum.

let hope for the best.

xx

7. rr99

rr99 Senior IL'ite

Sonu1..
    Kudos to you for you open objectiveness regarding your position on th e MIL issues. Your family is Blessed to have you..
    Cheers:thumbsup

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I thought I was the only one here who thinks my mother is sometimes not the best MIL. My bhabhi (elder brother's wife) is about my age, but the rules for her are quite different from those for me! My mother's logic is that I am now part of another family.. sigh!

My bhabhi wanted my parents to live with her right from the beginning. I knew my parents very well, and vetoed the idea. At that time, my bhabhi didn't understand, but now, after so many years she gets it. My mother is not like the typical bad MILs, but still, she can be irritating. She comments on my nieces hairstyles, their studies, their extra-curricular activities.. everything. And she prefaces each with "this is what I would tell my daughter....". That drives my bhabhi even more up the wall... Big Laugh

Small comments on small things - like my bhabhi's dress colors, makeup choices, too many outings, too spicy cooking...and they live separately! My mother did help them when the kids were small, but for that help my bhabhi had to put up with a lot of comments.

I have tried to tell my mother so many times to stop it, but she cannot help it, I guess. Because of this, my mother now gets to see her grandkids so rarely, even though they live in the same city.

I never could understand how my mother could be like that. She is otherwise a very wise and helpful person and well-respected among friends and relatives.

My bhabhi too has her faults, but those are not in how she deals with my mother. She always asks my mother for advice, keeps her updated with stuff about their family, talks more to my mother than my brother does, buys gifts for my mother and others... but still my mother has her long list of complaints. It was an arranged marriage, with my mother having full say in selection of the girl!

Initially it used to be great when I stood up for my SIL, but now even she feels insulted that she needs my support for simple obvious issues. My brother, like most guys, does not really speak up. I have some issues with my in-laws sometimes, but I have to say, my in-laws are much much better than what my bhabhi has got. Luck, I guess!

Rihana.

sindmani likes this.
  9. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

LOL, my mother's argument is the EXACT opposite. She thinks that she can treat me any which way she pleases because I am her "own daughter" (as if that is an excuse to be nosey and interfering) but goes out of her way to be nice to her daughters-in-law because "they are *from* another family". I wish she'd realize that I am an ADULT now, a wife & a mother myself, and that I am equally entitled to, and expect, the same respect, privacy and consideration that she extends to her sons' wives. There are times that she drives me CRAZY by commenting on my dressing, my make-up, my hair, my parenting skills, my cooking skills, my housekeeping skills, my choice of hobbies etc etc etc, whereas she is always praising my SILs for their "alleged perfection", even though these women have their own foilbles and eccentricities.

I sat her down one day and explained to her about BOUNDARIES -- seen and unseen -- that exist between even a mother and her daughter and how she had better wisen up and acknowledge these boundaries. She seemed to understand and even agree with me... for all of a week! Then she just went right back to her old ways.

TBH, I quit sweating it with her a while ago -- I simply pop on some ear plugs and give her the coldest look from H@ll that I can muster when she starts one of her 'Mother knows best' lecture -- but I honestly do not think that she quite 'gets it'. That daughters or daughters-in-law, both need and deserve the same consideration and respect. Oh, well, you win some, you lose some. I just pick my battles with her and know exactly when to tune her out and when to take her seriously. About time too, if you ask me!

10. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi,

quite interesting. you are eagerly awaiting for the new arrival in your family. both of your mind is in a positive way, so dont worry your mother will get a good and understsanding d-in-law i think no doubt in it. if we are positive things will be positive
    only.

raji