Planning to start a Indian Restaurant in London

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by sravugarimella, Feb 19, 2009.

1. sravugarimella

sravugarimella New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I live in the outskirts of London. Basically I am in the process of gathering information which can help me get a clear picture of my dream to turn into a reality:cheers. Myself and my hubby are thinking of starting a indian restaurant here, So would like to know your views in general, i.e.,

what is that will interest you to go to a restaurant other than quality of food?

Also if there is anyone out there in the same field, please share your experiences as to where to start. What kind of information needs to be looked at and how?

Thanks in advance, would love to see some replies.

Regards

Sravanthi

2. skavitha16

skavitha16 New IL'ite

Hi Sravanthy,

My hearty congratulations for your plans of starting a business in London.Let me throw you some of my ideas which will help you to succeed in your business...
    As far as restaurant is concerned inventory management is more important.Its like tracking the inventory every day.Food items need to be sold out before the expiration.Since you are a debut to the industry its better to start with packed foods and see for the response.If you are able to catch the business then you can go out for the restaurant idea..
    All the best :thumbsup

3. sravugarimella

Thanks for your response Kavitha. As you said controlling the food costs is really important and thats where the money can be lost.

Would love to see more responses please.

4. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi sravugarimella,

Congratulations on your venture. Food business is one which doesn't have recession...;-) and bound to go up definitely....so enjoy your success soon!

With regards to your question, though there might be common reasons or areas that people would look for in a restaurant - the culture does matter. I am bringing this point due to your location being London.

In India, people might want to go to restaurant to avoid cooking for instance...but in a western soceity it might be just to taste something different or try out something different ....so accordingly the choices of what is being looked at in a restaurant might vary.

Choice of menu would be one inviting factor - the spread....
    Season specials could be another inviting factor.....

That's what crosses my mind now....will write more when I get more ideas!

Cheers
    Jenz

5. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi Sravanthi,
    My congratulations on your new venture.
    Actually my brother used to stay in Cambridge, UK. He used to tell me that there was a Dosa Shop over there, and they did not even provide proper Chutneys and Sambar but the foreigners used to love our dosas inspite of that.

So i feel it will be a good idea if you can provide our indian dishes which they would love to taste. :) Dont invest a huge amount in the begining itself, start it as a small restaurant and you can expand it later on. Hope this helps you

Will get to you with more ideas. :)

6. sravugarimella

Thanks Jenz and Manasa for ur suggestions, much appreciated:bowdown

7. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sravanthi (hope that's right)
    I'm in business consulting so can tell you a few things as how can you go about it.
    First you need to make a complete plan which will include vital points such as what would be your product and services i.e. the scope includes all sorts of indian food, excludes this etc.
    Then where are you planning to start it. I know in London but which part.
    What is your target customer base?
    How many customers from your target group live around?
    Are there any other modes of attracting customers like any mall, garden or something?
    Do a complete market research as what are the taste favourites, how much people can afford to pay, how much would be the cost you bear, how much can you charge? After all this does your business fullfill the economical expectations you've set.,
    These are a few starters. Let me know if you have any more queries

8. GreenChillies

GreenChillies New IL'ite

Hi,

I am interested in opening a restaurant as well. Not sure if Sravanthi opened yet. If so, I need help from you both in guiding me how to proceed. How much does it cost to setup the process.

Renting a place
    hiring
    purchasing table/utensils/decorating/brochures

Not sure what else is needed. Kindly respond with answers if anyone knows. Appreciate ur help.

Thanks.