1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery : Q & A on Honey Comb Stitch,Chikan Work,Kasuti Work,Kamal Work

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by praveena1981, Jun 28, 2008.

1. praveena1981

praveena1981 Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

First time i am planning to do kamal work embroidery for my chudithar.Please suggest me a material type that best suits for embroidery designs.

Thanks a lot in advance

2. nithya prabha

nithya prabha Bronze IL'ite

re: Embroidery : Q & A on Honey Comb Stitch,Chikan Work,Kasuti Work,Kamal Work

Hi Praveena,
    First of all it all depends on ur practise. If u are well versed in embroidery , then take up synthetic material also, but if u r a beginner, it is better to take up cotton, i think.Again it depends, i dont prefer synthetic at all .I love cotton material. so, if u like synthetic, u can take up that also, but the next time after ur practise.Pls. wait for others comments also.Take care,bye.
    Nithya.

3. mithiram77

mithiram77 New IL'ite

Hi,
    as a beginner try out in cotton cloth. dip in water and dry. iron it then use.
    use a multi color cotton thread for kamal work.
    eager to see u'r work soon.
    bye.

4. praveena1981

praveena1981 Senior IL'ite

Thanks u all for guidance ..

I have purchased the multicolour thread for kamal works..One think i want to know whether we have to take 1 thread or 2 thread for stitching.

5. nithya prabha

nithya prabha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Praveena,
    For Kamal kadai work,one strand is enough. How much is one thread? All the best,take care,bye.
    Nithya.

6. prabhabala

prabhabala Gold IL'ite

Hi ,

If u are a beginner cotton is the best . Otherwise you can use any material u like.

prabha

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  7. vibusha

vibusha Bronze IL'ite

Embroidery : Q & A on Honey Comb Stitch,Chikan Work,Kasuti Work

hi friends,

i have not much knowledge about stone works on saree. but i applied the stones on my kid's frock using fabric glue and i apply the glue on which place i want and then i put the stones. and i watched in tv about designer saree. someone was having very big needle. just they pulled and pushed. they said that, it is designer saree. how to do the stone work in embroidery saree? is there any easy for that? pl. explain for my doubts. what is the basic for designer saree? i have looked a lot of sarees in this site.

thanks.

8. rpoornima

rpoornima New IL'ite

Therapeutic Value of Embroidery for Working Women

The beautiful art of Embroidery offers interesting possibilities for working women to better cope,manage stress and balance their energies at work and home by infusing creative interests and through healing engagement.

[FONT= ]In my experience of learning and teaching a variery of Indian,European and other international hand embroidery at Mridula's School of Embroidery in Chennai for the last five years, I have come across individuals and professionals who have professed about the therapeutic value of embroidery.[/FONT]
    [FONT= ]It has helped a many bring forth the hidden artist in them to express ideas and emotions in their minds with their own hands using embroidery as their vehicle which is filled with diverse influences.Such a work not only fosters enriching and enhancing the quality of their lives,but also complements the fast moving,demanding and stressful environment that they live in. [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]The aesthetics of embroidery is appreciated throughout the world.We all know that ‘A thing of Beauty is joy for ever’. The essentials of any good embroidery is its design structure,pleasing and harmonious color combination and the many intricate stitch techniques that has evolved around the world for centuries carrying a great diversity.[/FONT]
    [FONT= ]As we have observed,Colors around us play a crucial role in affecting our psyche.Some colors exude warmth like Red and Yellow.Some ,a feeling of freshness like Green,Some like Sky blue color gives us an expanded consciousness and some of the dark shades gives us a deep focus. The numerous stitch techniques provide intellectual satisfaction by beinging out the perfect texture required for the finish of embroidery.The designs defines the real aesthetics and the root of any embroidery.[/FONT]
    [FONT= ]If we observe the vast canvas of embroidery ,for instance, Kantha embroidery from west bengal has a painted effect. The techniques of Kutch and Kasuthi embroideries have intricate design structures which are stylized in nature.Chikankari embroidery enables one to embroider nature (floral,creepers etc) in a stylised manner. [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]Lagartara embroidery from Europe has a stone studded effect.Norweave embroidery has a mosaic texture.Mirror embroidery from India adds glamour to the embroidery. There are innumerable varieties which offer a wealth of opportunities to engage and satisfy the creative,emotional and intellectual needs of a person.
    [/FONT]

[FONT= ]Initially embroidery begins with concentrating and looking only at the needle point to execute the stitches in a perfect manner. [/FONT][FONT= ]If the mind strays, your stitches become imperfect. So the thought space in your mind is reduced to the space of the needle point because of the concentration. As one practices more and more and spends some considerable time to pursue this art which mostly deals with nature and social forms, the experience of peace is communicated and understood in the silence and stillness of our being. [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]This peace induces a sort of expanded consciousness that cuts across the barriers of time & space.This peaceful silence of the mind reduces the stress of day to day existence. The reduction of stress enables us to gain true health as the mind becomes calm and body becomes relaxed. One can even find the emergence of new capabilities and faculties into oneself which one would not have hitherto imagined. [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]Thus in this state of creative expanded consciousness a person recovers faster from extreme stress or even illness . And this mental climate is quite crucial in matters of healing & health. This state of the mind widens our awareness of everything we feel & experience. This state of awareness in us liberates us from problems and makes us more capable. It frees us from stress and strain of our activities.[/FONT]
    [FONT= ]This change in attitude has a positive effect on one’s life bringing health and fitness in the body, quietness in mind, clarity of understanding as well as balance in mind, generating a sense of well being, security and satisfaction. We can get rooted to our present responsibilities with the positive attitude to life. [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]The task therefore before us as the propagators of embroidery is not just the execution part of embroidery, but to seek deeper into the layers of our psychology where the roots of creativity and an urge to bring out the beautiful lies.There are crisis points in our lives which lead us as if by Nature’s irony, to the doors of our own concealed possibilities. So, let us open the doors to this greater and vaster creative consciousness and allow its influx on us. [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]I also believe that Business organisations/Corporates may benefit by supporting the women employees through enabling them to take Embroidery as a hobby. In organisations today,Empoyee’s sustained contribution,productivity and retention is key to the success of businesses.[/FONT][FONT= ]Initiatives in supporting and helping them to channelise their energies and augmenting their creativity could help companies immensely especially in today’s stressful times.[/FONT]
    [FONT= ]R.Poornima
    [/FONT]

9. Aqua76

Aqua76 New IL'ite

Bangalore : Brazilian Embroidery Workshop

Oops,forgot about the BE workshop...
    There is a one day BE workshop scheduled on april 4th at bannerghatta road.Anyone interested?

10. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Re: Bullion rose instructions and Brazilian embroidery workshop

Hi Aqua,

Pls let me know the details and I will chk if I can make it!!. Who is conducting the workshop and where?? Cost etc.

Thanks in advance