Need help on how to start a Indian grocery?

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by sathipriya, Feb 5, 2009.

1. sathipriya

sathipriya New IL'ite

Hello everybody,
    My sister and I am interested in starting our own business here in Louisiana. Our first option is setting up a Indian Grocery. So how do I start my business?and what are the things that I need to know?
    Here are some question I need help as well.
    1. How to write a Business plan and register for the business.
    2. Where to find local wholesale deals within U.S to buy these grocery?
    3. Do I need to be citizen to start a business?
    4. How much will it cost to start a business?
    I know we have to invest a lot but some one who already into business here in U.S can help.
    5. How to set up a website and online shopping Indian grocery?

We are planning to lease a rental property, how much square ft of property should i look for to start of the business. I want to try with the minimum square ft of property for my business.

1 person likes this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi SathiPriya,

I donot know all the answers to your questions, but thought will let you know whatever little I know and hopefully other ILs will contribute.

1. How to write a Business plan and register for the business.

Googling should give you enough info for the state of Louisiana as far as registering the business is concerned. You will also get a lot of templates for writing a business plan!

2. Where to find local wholesale deals within U.S to buy these grocery?

Again either a trip to Chicago/NJ or calling up some one there and speaking with other local grocers casually should get you your info, the local grocers in my town say they get from Chicago(closer) and mark it up here.

3. Do I need to be citizen to start a business?

I think you need to have a green card definetly, not necessarily citizenship for this.

4. How much will it cost to start a business?

That depends definetely on how you want to begin - meaning, buy groceries, stock them at a place at home and build a site and do only shipping or if you want to rent a place.

I know we have to invest a lot but some one who already into business here in U.S can help.

5. How to set up a website and online shopping Indian grocery?

Someone has to build this for you, so you should have some basic plan as to what groceries you want to sell, calculate shipping prices and then come up with the site!

I am sure you can start with a small place but location is what will matter eventually. Good luck. I am sure I have given you some general info that you might already be aware, but as I said, it is my earnest desire that other ILs will answer as well too....

Jey and (deleted member) like this.
  3. sathipriya

sathipriya New IL'ite

Hi Srama,
    Thank you for the information. Sorry for my late reply. I appreciate your kind help. :thumbsup

4. sai2010

sai2010 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am interested in starting an Indian grocery store in Houston, Texas. I have few questions in my mind. I would really appreciate any words on this topic.
    (1) How long does it take to get a liscense of starting a business?
    (2) Can someone residing in US with Green card is eligible for starting a Grocery store business?
    (3) How much is the investment?
    (4) Where can I get information about step by step process?

Please share your knowledge to promote Indian women in male dominated business world.

Thanks in advance.
    Happy New Year 2010

Regards!

1 person likes this.
  5. iFatLLC

iFatLLC New IL'ite

Dear Mr Sridhar

I would be interested to know if you can deliver Groceries on regular supplies and would also like to know the brands and inventory list you keep so that i can relate to few other quotes i have rec'd and compare to take the best approach. Please contact me through private messages.

Thanks
    Regards
    iFat LLC<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /-->

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  6. sushe

sushe New IL'ite

Hi Sridhar,

I'm interested in starting a Indian Grocery store in Texas. I would like to know

1. How to obtain Import License USA?
    2. How to find the distributors in TX?
    3. Intial paper work and documents required to start a Indian grocery store?.

Kindly let me know .
    Thanks,

1 person likes this.
  7. Gursharan

Gursharan New IL'ite

Hello Mr Sridhar,
    I am interested in opening an grocery store here in Texas. Could you help me with that. Where can I get the whole sale groceries in Texas USA? I would be appreciate. Thanks.

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hello ladies who wan tto start Indian Groceries:

First thing is to work in a store and learn the trade. I used to go to a store in Mountain view, CA and found out the name of the store has been changed. When I asked , I found out she bought the store. She used to work in coupe of store for a year before she invested her money.

It is a hard job. Need to deal wiht customers and whole sale business people. So to get a experience, work some where like that. That will be a plus point when you go for a loan to start the business.

Good luck.
    CL

9. madhurareddy

madhurareddy New IL'ite

hello Mr. sridhar glad to meet u here & im quiet happy to respond to ur post in this thread i would like to know all the details of the grocery items. Please contact me through private messages. we will finalize all the terms & conditions & start the process thank you
    :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  10. hellokitty

hellokitty New IL'ite

May I ask why are you planning to open up in Louisiana?