1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationship Therapy - Post Your Relationship Issues - I will try to answer them.

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by SeriouslyJoking, Feb 17, 2009.

1. SeriouslyJoking

SeriouslyJoking New IL'ite

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100%">Hi !!
    Been here before???
    Welcome to my Thread
    Nice of you to visit me :)
    I guess chances of your knowing me is minimal & so its time I introduce myself...
    For those of you who are meeting me for the first time:

Me
    Now, a bit about myself and my family. Though I was born at Kerala; it'd be more appropriate to say I am native of Tamilnadu. Of my entire life [so far] of 40 years, I spent 28 there. :) I did my schooling upto XII th in Kendriya Vidyalaya. After that I did my B.Tech in Computer Science & Engg.

My Hobbies

If you come to my home, you are most likely to find me immersed in some book or the other. I don't normally go in for didactic literature or a great deal of poetry. Most often than not, it is likely to be Victorian/American classics, novels - humorous ones by Wodehouse, serious ones by popular authors, Science fiction by its past master - Asimov [his Foundation novels especially], books on Philosophy by Russell & on a lighter vein crime fiction or mystery novels. I enjoyed "The Three Investigators" series in particular. Enid Blyton is, of course, an all-time favorite.
    I enjoy cartoons too and am a fan of Asterix and Tintin. Have read most of the series & have many of the works at home too. Have a look at my favourite books...

My most recent pastime is browsing to be more precise mailing !!! I enjoy reading loooooong mails from my friends. Besides mailing, there is always the educational value of the Net...

I am at home with Mathematics - Number theory especially, Combinatorics, Algebra & love attacking all sorts of puzzles.

I enjoy dabbling with water colors too from time to time. Most of my paintings feature landscapes. However, it's been ages now since I did any painting of consequence.

Though not a singer, I enjoy hearing records of K. J. Yesudas, Hariharan, old melodies of Lata Mangeshkar and nearly all of A. R. Rehman's albums.

Of late I have taken to graphology - handwriting study.
    </td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#f4f5fa" valign="top" width="140"> </td><td>
    </td><td align="left" valign="top">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009

2. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

I have a quick question - why did you choose this forum?
    Isn't relationship therapy required more in "Married Life" & "Me & my Spouse" forums?

3. SeriouslyJoking

I wish to help those who terminated the relationship and confused over starting a new one.

4. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Wow! Are you joking or you are serious about the therapy. You really have varied interest and I must say I am impressed to know that you are a voracious reader.

Though I am not starting any relationship, but I am pretty confused about the man-woman relationship. What to do when a partner wants to do things in his/her own way and says there should be no expectations in relationship, no complaints and no fights at all. Cna you have such a relationship in a real world?

Best wishes
    Ansh

5. SeriouslyJoking

Let us get into Basics
    what is expectation?
    [justify]I believe that it is very closely aligned to both faith and visualization. When you really believe that something is going to happen, that something is coming to you, that an important change is going to happen in your life, then you are exercising faith, and faith is the expectation that what you desire will come true, just as if it had already happened. Visualization – seeing ourselves already in enjoyment of the new situation is the way we view our expectation and our faith.

So let me ask you what is your expectation? What are you seeing in your mind’s eye?

So, again I ask - What is your expectation?
    Do you seek for more joy in life? Do you believe that more joy and happiness can be yours?
    Do you believe that these things can be experienced as a feeling without a radical change in your life’s circumstances?
    The answer is “Yes” so long as your focus and expectation are moving in the right direction.

When you start to visualize being in the place you desire to be you will find the POWER OF DESIRE will enable you to start to enjoy the feelings you would have when you are actually there.

As your expectation – your faith expressed through visualization – is set to see the change of fortune and good things happening to you, so it will be.

With the exercise of the POWER OF DESIRE you can draw into your life whatever it is that you are lacking right now. You can reverse negative trends, bring positives into your life, turn dullness of life to fun, make life an adventure of discovery and start to see good things around the next corner.

Failure, in whatever form it comes, can be turned into success. Failure is usually the result of a poor attitude towards whatever you are doing, which draws with it the natural result of that attitude – failure. The right approach, the positive attitude, will attract the desired goal – success.
    If you know you are not giving your best to your work or to your life in general, then you know that you deserve failure. That is justice. To put your best foot forward and give enthusiasm to whatever you do is a positive correct attitude which must bring with it the desired result – success.

Maybe you do not yet know what you want to achieve. You must be open to whatever the cosmos or your higher self or God wants to give you. There are good things out there for you. You can draw them to you with the POWER OF DESIRE. Opportunities will be drawn to you with your new approach and your dynamic enthusiasm.
    [/justify]

6. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for a detailed analysis, but my question remains unanswered. I was talking about a man-woman relationships sans expectations, sans complaints and sans arguements etc. If u could read my question again, I think you would be able to understand what I need to know.

Best wishes
    Ansh

7. SeriouslyJoking

Partner - Is self explanatory

If you think S/he is your partner in life you will appreciate HIM/ER for what S/he is, instead of EXPECTING him/er to meet your expectations.

Spouse is the one with whom you dare to be yourself.

You don't need to put on some thing to be

S/He knows you and understands you

S/He knows you and knows those contradictions in you

But Still Love You

When love is missing then everything will be missed tooo

8. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear SeriouslyJoking,

Welcome to IL!
    I don’t mean to intrude in your space here. But since Ansh has asked about something that is so dear to me, I thought I’d chip in. I hope you don’t mind.

Dear Ansh,

I don’t think I have a straight answer to your question but I have some thoughts about the question you have posed and would like to put those forth.

I think having no expectations at all from a relationship is difficult, if not impossible. And to this effect I think that there is no relationship in this world that has zero expectations. Not even the most selfless parent-child relationship. When we give birth to a child we expect happiness in return, we expect to shower our affection on the child and in turn be loved by him, we expect moments of pride and joy. And just as we expect these, we expect to be busier than earlier, we expect that we will now have to shoulder more responsibility so on and so forth. So by definition, I think no relationship is sans expectations.

Now whether that expectation leads to arguments or fights is something that we may be able to control to a large extent. To handle expectations well is one of the most challenging tasks posed in front of us at every juncture in our life. And it also is the one that causes a great deal of turmoil in our minds.

In my observation this expectation challenge can be handled deftly by practicing non-attachment towards those expectations. Of course, let me put a disclaimer here that if the man and woman are polar opposites in every single thing then it is better that they do not get into a relationship. But most of the times the differences are on some/many counts but not necessarily on all counts and these are the cases that I think can be worked upon.

Let me explain what I mean by non-attachment towards expectations - We must expect and express our expectations clearly and nicely to the person concerned. But we must not get attached to the end result from that expectation. The end result is something that we will never have much control over so we must not get attached to it. Great, if the expectation is fulfilled, and too bad if it didn’t. That’s where matters should end. Hanging on to the end result is something that should be avoided. The outcome of the expectation should not make or break us for too long. If we can learn to do this (which is very very tough, I know) then the obvious by-products of expectation (which are arguments and complaints) can be avoided to a great extent.

The underlying thought that helps practice this non-attachment I feel is the realization of the fact that, whether we admit it or not, every one of us is here for our own self. As much I would hate to admit it, I know this holds true for me too. Otherwise why would God make us human beings dispensable? This is how we were designed to be by our architect, God. Nothing or no one in this world will stop for any of us. By acknowledging this fact that we are all in transit, we realize that what someone does or does not do for us should only matter so much to us. In the end none of the actions anyone does are permanent because the person himself is mortal. Don’t get me wrong here; I am not trying to paint a negative picture of us humans. To me, it is a simple truth of human life that we live here primarily for ourself.

So, given the fact that we are mainly here for ourselves, we must understand that some people just happen to stretch this feeling of “I am here only for myself” a little too much and hence are not easy in giving in to the expectations of others even if these others happen to be people that are close to them. That’s all there is to it. Also, we must remember that all of us at some time or other have been in this not-so-giving person’s shoes where we have not fulfilled expectations that others may have had from us. We may not have faltered as often as this person may have, but surely we have faltered sometimes at least. I think this realization of the fact that “All of us, including I myself, are here for ourselves” is pivotal in changing the way we look at expectations.

Another factor that sometimes helps is, analyzing to see if the expectations that we think are not being fulfilled are in fact being fulfilled by this person in some other form. I agree that it may not be the form that we expect it in, but if we can find the underlying feeling that we were looking for then maybe we can cut some slack to the form it is being presented in? For example we may associate the feeling of being cared for by a person enquiring about us, our life and about our day. But to some people caring may mean enquiring about us only when we are sick and in need (because otherwise we look fine so what’s there to ask?!) and doing the things needed to help us get better. As soon as we are back on our feet the person is back to his/her non-enquiring self. In this case, the person may not be called caring as per the most common definition of the word but may be his being there for us at least when we need him could be looked upon as that he/she cares for us? This definition of caring may be acceptable to some and totally not acceptable to some others. But it does help many times if we try to look for other ways (not necessarily our desirable way), that the person may have fulfilled our expectations.

To sum it up, expectations are there and they should be there. But if we can practice avoiding getting attached to the end result of our expectations then we will be fine for most part. Some of our expectations will be fulfilled and some will never be. As long as we don’t get attached to either of these outcomes, I think we can maintain a decent relationship and preserve our mental health to a large extent.

Ansh, I don’t know if I provided any help at all in even partly answering your question! But you asked something that was of such great interest to me, that I couldn’t help but write this long monologue.

Luv,
    SS

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

SS

:bowdown:bowdown...What a fabulous explanation!! I dont know if Ansh found her answers in your explanation..........bit I sure did....they brought about so much clarity to the questions and thoughts that have been running in my mind lately....Hats off to you and your matured thinking:hatsoff!!

Cheers!

10. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

Soaring Spirit....That was a very very insightful answer. I learnt a few things about me here :) This post should be in a blog...