1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I never invite my inlaws to stay with me...

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Renu1999, Feb 4, 2009.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

So what is the real reason that Indian parents are obsessed with sons and not daughters? And don't say it's love... because if it was love, girls and boys would be valued the same. It's greed and insecurity.

The same women who have the attitude that they will not be stopped from visiting "their son's house," do they have that attitude about their daughter's too? Why not?

I think the most distrubing aspect of Indian culture is the obsession with sons. It is really really sick. As long as Indians holds on to antiquated beliefs and their own insecurity, our culture as a whole will never make it to the 21st century.

sindmani likes this.
  2. jasminerule

jasminerule Junior IL'ite

So according to many of you, when your parents get old, this apply to both girls and boys, they need permission from their DIL or SIL to visit their children? What has the world come from? Where is the basis respect that we have to give to elders? Now let me just make it clear that I am nowhere close to the old age but when did we become so proud of adopting American way of living and forego our own culture?

My husband speaks to his parents on a daily basis and never stop me from calling my family or care how many times my dad or mom call me want to talk to me, neither do I when he calls India everyday? Aren't they in their old days deserve a phone call from their sons and daughters once a day???

In fact, I will never respect a man who does not want to support, respect his own parents when they no longer able to care for themselves or NEEDs his wife's permission before inviting his own parents to stay or visit. This is every's parent's right to be respected and taken care of in my opinion. According to our religion, after God is our parents and both boys and girls have the same responsiblity to look after their parents. This is just basic human right. Aren't we become so animal-like in this materialistic world?
    What a shame for some of you to think that once a man married they have to forget about their own parents and need wife's permission to support his parents financially or inviting his parents to visit or stay.

Yes, my IL bother my hubby for land too but I never intervene because I do believe in respecting one another parents is one of the factor in building a strong marriage. My MIL came to US to take care of me after the birth of my daughter and my father came to stay with us once in a while to visit his grand daughter. And we never need each other 's PERMISSION inviting our parents.

3. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

To all those who quoted my earlier post on the topic:

You all have not taken it in the spirit it was written.

What I feel from the responses is that all of you feel that once the son is married his parents should let go of him.And so should the daughters parents, let go of their daughters, right?

So all you mothers of sons and daughters train yourselves for that while you are doing your duty of bringing up your children. Getting your children marriedwill become akin to losing them.

Sounds absolutely awful , doesn't it!!

No parents want their children to be unhappy, whether they are sons or daughters. All that they are looking for is that they should not be shut out of the lives of their children.

But ofcourse , to each his own.

Remember , perspectives change with age.

When we are young we sympathise with Romeo and Juliet. Oh, poor Romeo and poor Juliet.

And once one is grown up in the 50s or 60s, one feels 'Oh! the poor parents' what they must have gone through .
    So the same situation is viewed differently at different stages of life.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,
    You are not helping Renu in any way by quoting each other and question each other's views.
    What she intended is definitely not IL vs Parents issue or his parents Vs her parents issue.

Ennaye,
    If you read Rihana's initial post carefully you would have observed that she is fair and square to both parents. I guess in your post you were trying to convey the same meaning, so then there is no tiff here right?
    And btw, I don't think anyone is saying that once the child is married, you loose them forever. Once kids are married, then their family comprises of their spouse and kids, you are automatically in the outer circle. They are adults and will make their own decisions, sometimes their decisions will not be to your liking and sometimes your decisions will not be to their liking. Does this mean you are losing them? Giving up means give up on making decisions for them and let them be adults(and this applies to ALL adult children married or otherwise).
    I don't think anyone has stated not to empathise with parents at all. Not sure where you got that from!

Jasmine,
    I don't think Renu deserves the personal attack. I don't think stating that your daughter ending up like her or your Son marrying someone like her was necessary. What do you really know about her? If you want to disagree with anything posted on the board then do so respectfully. Many others have disagreed with Renu's original post but have refrained from personal attack.

Sayanka,
    I don't know about every man on the planet but there is ONE husband who does care for his spouse's parents as his own and that is my DH. He treats my parents and my sibiling as his own, always invites them over and makes them feel at home. DH has planned special vacations for my parents to come over to the US and enjoy with us, spending time and money taking them to places and even now my parents remember their special trip with their Grand daughter(this was when my lil one was 4, so no delivery issues). So FYI, there is one example of a husband who does treat both parents as equal.Thank God for my DH!

Renu,
    I do invite ILs over just like I do with my parents. There are times when both our MOMs have opinions that I don't like and I get worked up but I do let it go.. Btw, my DH's parents are not malicious people and don't harass me or threaten my marriage, so I guess it is not as bad as what you read on these boards. It is difficult to let go but I love DH and he treats both sets of parents equally - especially since I know my Mom can be equally tough to handle but he does it and does not complain, so I try to think about that. I can't not invite my folks so that applies to DH as well.

But then, if you do get so worked up that it threatens your peace of mind then you have the right to not invite them over to your place. Don't second guess yourself and cause more anxiety, just make up your mind and stick to it. If you have any guilt associated with it, then that's not helping you in anyway, right?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  5. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hello Mrs.V

wonderful explanation. i like each and every word of yours. keep it up. humanbeing expect only love and affection. is it ok?

raji.

6. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Laks09,

This is referring to the part in your post addressed to me.

Please read Renu1999's letter to understand why it seemed that parents should not come to son's house, ever. If that does not amount to losing one's child then what is? Emotional deprivation is as bad as physical deprivation.

Just need to see the parents who are deprived of contact with their child to understand this.

You may then appreciate the post. No , I have no rift with anyone.

But yes, negative posts do put me off. Life is much more pleasant if rifts are not there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  7. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hello my dear,

reading your complaints about yourinlaws. how many days they will be with you in USA for some months...be friendly with them. talk with them.....so that your husband also will be happy about yourbehaviour. and for elders also, they should not interfere in all matters. if they give suggestions please dont take it serious dear. take it sportive. finally you both will decide what to do.....isn't it? actually what problem you are having. dear, in future you will also carry the post of mother in law or mother . if you have kids, they will watch your activities without yourknowledge. our life is just like a ball.i think so. so please donot think i am blaming and supporting your inlaws.dont you find any small good character with yourinlaws......express it.....time will come to all and everyone will realise everything.

regards

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ennaye, I don't mean to endorse Renu's statements but I still don't see her totally cutting her ILs off(and hence causing them emotional deprivation as you stated), she seems to be unable to cope up with her MILs statements/actions. I tried to read her followups as well but don't see her stating that no ILs should visit their child ever.
    Each person has a different tolerance level and it is upto her really to decide how much is too much for her.
    As you have stated yourself, life is more pleasant without rifts and sometimes distances are necessary to maintain relationships. I maybe wrong, but that's how I interpreted some of the other responses as well.

As far as negativity goes, let me say this - All of us acknowledge what both sets of parents have done. Some people do feel the need to maintain a Physical distance for relationships to work (from PILs/Parents/DILs/SILS/ sibilings etc) and lets not judge them for doing that - I hope that is positive enough.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Asking for your spouses permission before inviting your parents over is just the decent thing to do. Having the attitude of "I will do whatever I want" sends the message that you do not value your spouses feelings or opinions. If you wanted to continue making decisions in life all by yourself without ever seeking input from another person, well then you should have stayed single!

So valueing your spouses input is now only an American thing? Well I think it's a good thing, so why can't we adopt it too? Would you buy a house without talking to your spouse first? Would you pick a school for your kids to go to without discussing with your husband? So then why is it ok to invite parents over without first asking the other person???

Since you seem to be so proud of Indian culture only, are you proud of the fact that there are only 93 women per every 100 men in India? Meaning because of this son obsession, people are aborting 7% of pregnancies where the child is female. There are 50 million missing women in India. So before you think that India has the monopoly on culture and ethics, think again.

Sorry Renu that I've derailed your thread. I don't have anything to add past this point, other than you shouldn't feel bad because lots of other women out there avoid inlaws visits too. Take care.

sindmani likes this.
  10. Renu1999

Renu1999 Bronze IL'ite

Hi jasminerule,

[when your parents get old, this apply to both girls and boys, they need permission from their DIL or SIL to visit their children?]

They don't have to get permission from us. if they treat DIL properly/respect properly they will be invited. if we know they will cause problem they wont deserve to be invited... as simple as that.

[Aren't they in their old days deserve a phone call from their sons and daughters once a day??? ]

we do call them often. while calling when then intervene with our daily activities (why are u doing this today/today is not auspicious or if they vigilantly watch wherever we go and whatever do do/or if they instruct us do this/that ) there comes the problem. Again they dont deserve phone call..

[According to our religion, after God is our parents and both boys and girls have the same responsiblity to look after their parents]

In our religion "after parents is our god" so we dont have to pull religion to prove ourselves..

[Aren't we become so animal-like in this materialistic world? ]

I havent done anything like animal so far or intended to do in future.. just discussing why I hesitate to invite my inlaws voluntarily...

[What a shame for some of you to think that once a man married they have to forget about their own parents and need wife's permission to support his parents financially or inviting his parents to visit or stay.]

I am not stopping my husband from helping them financially. in the same time I want them to think how much his son does to them and I want them to bless us....

[Yes, my IL bother my hubby for land too but I never intervene because I do believe in respecting one another parents is one of the factor in building a strong marriage]

so proud of you I don't think anyone here is really trying to build strong marriage like u...bonk

[my MIL came to US to take care of me after the birth of my daughter and my father came to stay with us once in a while to visit his grand daughter.]

I know why u are supporting your MIL so much now. my MIL were not ready/willing to come here after my sons birth nor they do come during winter season... all they want is to come here during summer

I dont feel bad about posting this thread... SOme ladies gave me valuable suggestions... I felt far better thats all I need...

sindmani likes this.