1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetables- Pesticides and over cooking

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by booboo, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booboo

booboo Senior IL'ite

Well as the title says i'm worried about the pesticides in the spinach and vegetables. Earlier i was worried my LO is not eatting veggie much, now she's a darling and eats spinach and veggie without any fuss. I was very happy until DH said "she's eating a lot of spinach- but hope she's not taking too much pesticides as well" It's true, i do wash off them with pigeon bottle soln, BUT:hide:. Kritika and other mommies what's your thought and research on this.
    And also about over cooking or pressure cooking veggies! Do they get all the nutrients? Is it always possible to slightly saute and give the veggie half cooked. I'm not talking about the vala poo, valakai, avarakai here which needs to be well cooked. We don't get them always though so we have to go for Eng veg!! Organic veg are highly expensive and also doesn't work out very well.
    Pls share your thoughts!!!!

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Uma, this was my biggest concern even before Riya was born. Organics are not cheap but there are some fruits and veggies that contain a higher amount of pesticides than the other ones, so when possible, try to buy those organic. And also milk, it is better to spend a little extra and get organic milk.

Spinach is one of the produce that contain higher amount of pesticides, the others are apples, strawberries, potatoes, lettuce and grapes. Here's a list that I keep handy on the refrigerator.

About cooking veggies, the only time I use pressure cooker is for making khichdi. Other times, I steam and season, or saute veggies in olive oil with herbs, or roast them in the oven. Of all these methods, I love roasting the best as it releases the natural sugar in the veggies and give them a sweet, cruncy flavor. Yum! If you are making indian sabjis/poriyal, make sure you use less sodium, less oil etc. to make it a healthier option.

If you are boiling veggies, let the water come to a rolling boil before adding the veggies and then cook them for only 10 minutes. This will help retain the nutrients.

Raj

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I am not doing any cooking for kids BUT I do have a lot of concerns about both bacterial contamination and pesticides. Here is USA we are getting food from all over the world and who knows what the true story is about our food here. I try to buy from local farmers whose practices I know but you cannot do that year round. I did some research and I purchased one of those new machines to superoxygenate the water. You put your veg in there in cold water and run it and it kills 99.9% of bacteria and gets rid of the pesticides (obviously the surface ones) which go out in the water. It is so handy for cleaning greens, dhania, etc. You can wash meats, fish, etc in this water also and you can sanitize the kitchen counters etc with it. I have been happy with this system. There is a 240v model selling in Australia.

4. booboo

booboo Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot Raj! I too saute the veg in butter or olive oil and season with pepper-she likes it this way- but sure she'll get bored one day. I too pressure cook only for kichidi and she no more wants kichdi.
    Spinach!!! hm we were staying in individual house for about 1 yr after our marriage. I used to plant spinach, pick it up in the morning, cook and pack lunch for him. Those were the days and i wonder if i'll get that again. Now we moved to flats and even they are expensive these days:hide: , can only dream of individual house in SG now.....
    Thanks for the list-atleast i'll try to get those stuff organic.
    tashidelek2002 thanks to you too-let me check out in SG and fb you!

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Uma, I did buy organic for a while, but I found that in India there was not much of a demand for organic veggies and therefore there is a lot of wastage of the veggies and you dont get them fresh.
    I now buy from the local market, knowing pretty well there is a chance of things being contaminated. Instead of one wash, we give all veggies two or three washes. The spinach is rinsed thoroughly in running water, left to dry and then cooked.
    Most of the chemicals used are water soluble, so washing it off is good enough if done thoroughly. Vegetable garden is labour intensive, but the best choice if you have the space. Have you thought of terrace/balcony gardening? Does spinach work with some shade (I am clueless about that)

6. Priya0425

Priya0425 New IL'ite

Hi. One of my friends was mentioning a few days ago that washing veges with just tap water does not wash away all the pesticides. She said that it is better to wash veges with salt water. Apparently salt water can remove a lot of the chemical stuff. Has anybody heard this before. Would love your feedback. I havent really started using this method even tho I am cooking for kids.bonk

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Sadly a few weeks ago I saw on tv the results of testing of veg washing and water washing of veg does not get rid of bacteria or pesticides. I was pretty shocked that it did so little. As to bacteria, the good old pressure cooker is queen (15 lbs pressure for 15 mins is equal to an autoclave in a hospital....sterility!) but boiling is also adequate. As to pesticides, thats a problem. This is one reason I went with the superoxygenation. It is not sterile but bacteria and pesticides all to safe levels according to the testing results I have read.

I have no idea about the salt water washing. Would be interested if there is any scientific results for that as it sure is quick and easy.

8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

what is superoxygenation ?Is it some way to get clean water ?

Thanks
    Mangai

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey Mangaii, long time no see. Where have you been?

Raj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.