If you are moving to Botswana......

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by balamotwani, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Sattiawansing

Sattiawansing New IL'ite

Dear Bala

Am Sattiawansing from Mauritius and planning to come to Botswana (Gaborone) as I am taking employment at the SADC Secretariat in February 2009.

I have limited information on living in Botswana and am pleased that I came across this forum. Am of hindu faith and a Sai devotee. My wife and 6 months son will join me probably in July 2009 after I have arranged for housing, utilities, and security which is being reimbursed by SADC.

I would like to know how is life for a young hindu couple in Botswana and how can i arrange for minimum inconvenience for my family. Do we have maid facilities, groceries and vegetables for preparing indian dishes and what about cost of living.

Rgds

Sattiawansing

2. Jaishree123

Jaishree123 Senior IL'ite

hi sattia

I m staying in gaborone, botswana for the past 3 years and my hubby is here since last 10 years. the place is very nice. yes there is a risk of theft or robbery and u must always keep the house doors locked.
    also there are many advantages which you may not find in any other country like the housemaids they are very good. I work for govt.of botswana here and I have a 3 year old son. my maid takes care of him very well. I m relaxed about that.

the exchange rate is around P1=6.1 INR now

if u have any other doubt pls reply back

the cost of living is high compared to India. but its ok bcos inflation is a global problem now.

Jaishree

3. Jaishree123

Jaishree123 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    you can get all the indian vegetables..except few..but in some season u may not get all the vegetables.
    and as you are a sai devotee...there are many good temples here. u can check the other post by balamotwani about temples in Gaborone.
    there is also a sai centre where there are many activities on regular basis.
    and there is also balvikas for kids.

Jaishree

4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

hi all,

i am Alpa from Nairobi, Kenya. just to add a few more info on Africa.

Nairobi is very clean and secured, thefts happen in all parts of the world and we should know how to treat the local people if you treat them well and with respect. Nairobi is expensive we get all the fresh groceries here and lots of indian shops too.

All african countries are nice to stay in, there is no pollution, life is relaxed and better.

I am 4th generation born and brought in Nairobi.

alpa

5. Sattiawansing

Sattiawansing New IL'ite

Hi Jaishree

Thanks for the information.

The cholera epidemy seems to intensify in Zimb! But am sure Bots is rather safe provided necessary action is taken to control it.

I need to look for houses in Gaborone as soon as I reach there.

In the first instance I would like to rent a fully furnished two/three bedrooms house and thereafter look for leasing an unfurnished house to the choice of my wife.

Do you have any contact details of real estates?? email add???

Am glad that there is an indian community in Gabs so I may feel home like.

Sattiawansing (Vinay)

Just to remind that am from Mauritius in the indian ocean ...not india.

6. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Hello Bala,

One of friend has been working there at Botswana from last month...he's finding difficulty in sending money to India...can you please brief me about this process which way would be the best one to transfer/send money to India (Bangalore) from botswana. He draws salary in USD

7. ravikompella

ravikompella New IL'ite

Hi,
    My name is Ravi and first of all, I apologise to all the ladies for creating an account here. I was actually googling the net for some information on Botswana and i got here.
    I have some queries to you - I got a job in Botswana in Gaborone and not too sure to take it up or not. the company i am working in India, hyderabad, is Dell and the one in bots is a distributor for Dell, which is much much smaller in size. I would like to know how is work life over there, lifestyle, etc.
    I would like to know if there are any telugu families, if so their contact email or number. i am really aprehensive to make this move, since i am married and with a son.
    your advice in time will surely help me out.

thanks
    rav

8. ravikompella

ravikompella New IL'ite

Hi Vinay,
    Can you please tell me if you have settled in Gaborone? I am planning to come there for a job and would be interested to know the IT market, whether are there enough indian families in gaborone, get vegetarian food, enough facilities for infants (i have 11 month old) and finally, if we would enjoy staying there.

I would really appreciate if you can either reply to this or give me your contact. my contact email is ravikompella at yahoo dot com.

Cheers
    Ravi

9. Sattiawansing

Sattiawansing New IL'ite

Dear Ravi

Am supposed to start working in Gaborone in mid February 2009.

I'll check out the facilities there and decide on the way forward. need to settle with wife and 5 months old son..so a bit challenging!

Vinay

10. psyche

psyche New IL'ite

hey anybody in botswana now, i am currently in botswana and would like to get in touch with some one here :)