1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to walk with high heels?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by jaanu_2721, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jaanu_2721

jaanu_2721 Bronze IL'ite

[​IMG]

If you are afraid to walk in heels you are limiting yourself from purchasing some of the cutest shoes. Vanity aside, there are also some situations where heels really are more appropriate than flats. You might not wear them often, but all women should own and know how to walk in at least one pair.

Unfortunately, there are no quick tips that will instantly make you able to walk in heels. It takes practice, practice, and more practice.

Start with a low or thick heel. Once you get comfortable walking in that you can gradually increase to a higher one. Starting with really high heels is just going to discourage you.
    There is no need to jump right to stilettos. Platforms, wedges and stacked heels also give you the same height and illusion of longer legs and are easier to walk in.

Heels can be especially stressful on your feet, back and neck so stretch your legs before and after you spend hours on your feet in heels.

When walking in heels, walk with your legs straight and keep them as close together as your can. High heels can throw off your balance, especially if you aren't used to them so be sure to use your arms to help keep you standing straight. Also keep your chin up and shoulders back.

When first learning, take smaller strides at and be sure to put the heel down first when walking. You want the pressure and weight to land on the heel itself, not on your toes.

Avoid slippery, slushy or rocky pavement. Your heels can easily sink into soft ground and it is much easier to slip in them than it is in flats. Also watch out for grates and cracks that your heel could get stuck in. Not only is this embarrassing, but it can also ruin your shoe.

If heels start to hurt your feet after wearing them for a few hours, be sure to give them a rest. If you go out to a restaurant or are at your desk at work, slip them off for a little while and stretch out your feet. If you wear heels at work, bring a pair of flats to wear on your commute to and from home.

You can also get inserts for your heels to help you regulate your center of gravity. This stops the ache often caused by long term heel wear.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009

2. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

wowww....jaanu thank you for posting this..i always dread high heels as i am scared of falling down by slipping or loosing balance...

3. jigyasa

jigyasa New IL'ite

Thanks for the post.

I recently bought a pair of wine colored pointy toed pumps with 3 inch stiletto heels. They looked so nice on the store shelf. Well, if you ladies are wondering why I bought them- I bought them so I can wear it on our wedding anniversary. You see, my DH thinks that women wearing high heels are quite attractive and since I only wear low heels, I thought of surprising him this time by wearing a pair of really sexy heels :)

But the fun began when I put them on at home (alone- since it is a surprise for him) and tried walking around a bit. It hurt my legs soooo much- ouch. They make my legs look nice but the problem is keeping them on for more than 5 minutes bonk. It just feels like my feet are on fire after first few minutes. I have tried putting in pads that you get in Walgreens but they dont seem to help a lot either. I kept them on for about half an hour just to get used to them but they still hurt if I walk in them for 5 minutes. I read up on the web about the right technique of walking in heels (small steps, practice by putting a book on your head and walking and so on...) but have not found a way to make it easier to walk in them.

Do any of you ladies have any suggestions? Our wedding anniversary is approaching and I really want to wear that pair of (painful) heels!!! Drowning I know we will be going out for dinner and movie and I want to enjoy that and not try to smile artificially while my feet are hurting!! Please help!!

~* Jigyasa *~

4. jigyasa

jigyasa New IL'ite

Just to give you an idea of the shoes I bought- it is like the ones in the picture except that mine are wine red in color. :)

~ Jigyasa

Attached Files:

5. simcoolchick

simcoolchick New IL'ite

you will get a few padded cusions to put under the balls of the toes (where all your body weight comes), that might help. And from personal experience, if you really want to wear them do so, but be careful when you walk, avoid standing for too long, take small breaks by sitting