1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How much legal and moral say a wife can have over husband's earnings?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Nithya001, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies, I have earlier put up a query here http://www.indusladies.com/forums/me-and-my-spouse/39876-is-worth-scraping-saving-like.html where I discussed about how my husband doesn't like to spend a single penny on me.

Despite repeated efforts to stay confident and avoid recurring thoughts about the financial injustice being done to me, I have been feeling rather dejected. I have started volunteering but I know it will be long before I can work and till then my living standards wouldn't improve. I need to know, for the sake of feeling confident about spending on myself, that how much legal and morel right does a non-working cooking cleaning wife has over her husband's earnings. My husband never made an attempt to make me feel that his money is my money too. In fact he is happy that I try my best to be a miser and do not spend anything on myself. On our last anniversary I gave him a gift from the money my parents gave me when I came here. He bought me nothing as I expected, but felt the need to get me something. He took me to jewelry shops to see if I liked a $150 ring supposedly a diamond! I knew it was nothing but American diamonds on cheap metal so told him that he can buy later when he can buy better. That was all. He never spoke about it again. I would have been happy even if he got me a sweater as I know well he cannot get me diamonds with his present salary. I felt like a fool to have spent my only $100 to buy him a gadget he was eying for long. I don't grudge it, but want to know why is it that he doesn't feel the need to get me anything at all when I feel that I must get him something on anniversaries/birthdays. This might be trivial, but I feel bad when he doesn't need to think twice before buying an air-ticket for his Mom/sis in India for a trip within India.
    I wanted to do a course in community college for long, but it would cost me around $4000 for a two-year course. My parents can give me only Rs 1lakh($2000 approx), which I want to avoid as I have younger brother and sister in college. I don't know how to ask husband to help me do this course. There is no way I can earn except illegal, which I am scared to do as we have no one we know personally to get me a job.

What can I do? I want to state here that my husband gets $40,000 annually before taxes(I found this through employer mails as he doesn't tell me anything) and we are in CA. We are not planning family for another two years or unless he gets a better opportunity and the recession is over. I am giving these details so some of you can help me judge whether his earning is enough for me to think about studies?(if I ask him he will make me think that its expensive) Please help me take a decision Thanks.

2. SoniaAgarwal

SoniaAgarwal New IL'ite

Hi,.
    Dont do this try to make his salary our salary i did same mistake i was in USA i thought if my husband not giving i will try to do job tried and got job but otherside my husband becam more close to his family and as i was worried abut future i was doing hard work but he not relise and send his earning to his family and need mine also i think not concntrat o job concentrate on you bonding with husband otherwise big problem you will face its time you are with your hubby only once you go back problem will arise.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nithya001,
    Can you please edit your post and remove the salary information? Don't divulge such information, this place is a public forum and even though there are checks in place, we still need to be careful.
    Regarding Legal rights of a wife on husband's income, I don't know.
    Morally, I think it is not your money/my money once we are married it becomes "OUR" money. On these lines, you have equal share in his income, after all you are the wife. But that's just my opinion.

Regarding the gift, how did you know what he wanted? By some action of his that let you know that he really likes the gadget right? Do the same, if you want something, make it known to him. Btw, don't feel bad that he didn't feel the need to buy you a gift, atleast he tried with the ring right? The thought seems to be there, as you said. He didn't know the appropriate gift, probably.
    Regarding your studies, nobody can say "how much" is ok to be spent. Only both of you can decide that. Is it possible for you to get some amount as a student loan which you can repay later? Are you open to that? Does the community college you intend to attend have scholarships/assistanship programs for students? If so, you can try for that. Gather all the information and talk to your dh about it. Decide together and come up with a plan. Don't let him take you on a guilt trip because you want to study, just be firm about your need to get this course completed so you can work when you get eligible for that.

4. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nithya.
    It looks like you are really frustrated with your husband's attitude towards money and your needs. I think you must try to lower your expectations. Dont fret abt not getting anything from him for your anniversary. Not all couples gift each other for that, incl. myself. Try to forget money matters for some time. May be once he gets a better job, he will spend liberally on you. I'm not saying that it's wrong on your part to expect something... but, if you stop expecting, your life will become happier. And it will be a great surprise when he does buy something for you, which I pray will happen soon:) And at that time, it will be a trivial issue that he dint get you the ring this year...

How much legal say you can have over your husband's earnings? I dont know if there is any law about this, and I dont know how it is in India and US... There are laws governing alimony, but you are not talking about that, I m sure.

How much moral say? I think 100%; you have every right to discuss or influence your husband's expenses and savings. But, you cannot force him to do or not do something. You both decide together what to do with his/your sal. Sadly that isnt the case in many families.

Dont try to corner your husband by telling him such statistics. It would only irritate him and may be he will try to do things (spending on his ppl) more secretly than now.

If you want to know how much money out of his salary he must spend on you (or give to you), I think it is really dependent on several personal factors.

About the course, may be you can lure your husband to sponsor your studies by telling him the benefits (job opportunities) on finishing the course. It's always a good idea to acquire some skill b4 looking for a job. If it doesnt work out, check if it is possible to do the studies on your own (may be get the help of someone who did the course earlier, or try taking the course online) and take a certification exam, which would definitely cost less than the course. Also, as Laks said, look for a scholarship. Good luck!

Regards,
    Sandhya

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hi Nithya,

Since your dh is so keen on money, explain to him that studying will enable you to make more money. Put it in a way that shows you are interested in contributing money to your home and that it wouldn't just be for yourself. Maybe this way he will be enticed to let you take the courses.

And you know, 40k salary is not that bad. Perhaps if he was not sending so much money to his parents and sis you would not be in this money crunch. Sorry if I sound harsh but your dh seems selfish. If you two don't have extra money to spend on each other right now, that's fine, economy is tough it's a good time to be frugal. So why are you sending what little money you do save to his family for things like air tickets? Since your dh has been generous with them, will they be willing to return the favor and help with your school costs? I don't think so! You two should start looking out for yourselves and saving for your own goals. An education is a very good investment!

In fact me and my dh were talking about education the other night... and he was telling me to go to graduate school after college, and I said how expensive that will be, but he told that education is an investment that keeps grows in value even after the course is completed... and you know, he is right. I definitely encourage you to take the course. Perhaps you could visit the school and ask what type of financial assistance they offer? If your parents are contributing half, you only need to come up with $2,000 right? That is not that much, I'm sure the school will be able to work with you.

Good luck!

6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

My husband never gives any gifts to me and I don't even bother for it, as I know he works for the family very hard.
    Second thing from your financial status, I think may be your husband is a responsible person to keep family in good state. If I get same amount salary as you and especially in CA, I would be very nervous too.
    And your concern spending for his family, we always feel make our parents to be proud of us. May be he is trying to do that, showing to his family that he is in good state.
    After initial years of marriage there is lot of difference between wife and the parent. Wife just came into the life and parents are there forever.
    So may be, he is thinking it is his responsibility to spend towards parents even he has hard finances.
    I think, for you its better to do some studies and get into the job. That’s why he may feel good with his financial situation and as well as you.
    You try to make him to understand to do the course and don’t keep any hard feeling towards gifts or anything. I think first you need to keep your aim to do some course and get into some job.

Good Luck.

7. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi nithya,
    I was reading your post and found it full of concerns. First of all, your husband's salary is not everything in your married life.. I wouldn't say it is nothing.. but it is just part of your life. I know being in california is expensive and you may feel that insufficient. But dont feel bad. Initial days of marriage are always a challenge. Try to understand your husband. He might have thought that he would be able to give you a good life with this salary and it wouldn't go least in his mind to think about gifts. If he is loving to you and understanding in your day to day activities, then that is the best anniversary gift you can ever get. He may not see things the way you do. So the best thing you can do is to tell him what you feel. This is very crucial in marriages.. If you dont speak things properly then it might lead to confusions later on and then on to mis understandings. If things are spoken out and made it clear then there is no cloud between you and your husband Drowning...

Studying is good.. and it is nowhere based upon his salary. He can get you a loan from any bank or you can ask help from your parents.. i dont say that your parents should give the money out of their pocket.. They can get you a student loan from india and you can re pay that back when you start earning. Also you should analyze that if the course you are doing is good enough to fetch you a job immedietely. And if you need $4000 to do the course i dont think you would need it all once.. may be you can change your visa status to student and do small earnings of your own to pay the fees.. So don't get frustrated thinking too many things.. Think of how you can solve those problems.. And i feel you have no reason to blame your husband when you dont tell him what is going on in your mind. May be he would come up with a better solution for your studies.. When he is working hard to take care of you and himself i feel you shouldn't be worrying about anything.. rather you should be enjoying life...

Take care sweety.. stop getting tensed.. speak out... and if he still doesnt care about your feelings... then we can talk about it later!:crazy

8. jasminerule

jasminerule Junior IL'ite

I am thinking------you are expecting wayyyyyy to much from your husband. We used to live in CA and my husband, being a recent grad made only 85K and we used to have to live frugally and watch our budget, 40K is nothing for CA. It makes sense that your husband asking you to scrape and save every penny.
    About diamond ring, do you really think most husbands get their wives diamond on anniversary? With his salary, you should have been appreciated of him for wanting to get you a $150.00 ring. I've been married to my husband for 7 years and he has never gotten a diamond ring for me on our anniversary or birthday.
    For my last Birthday, my daughter and hubby got me an Apple Pie from a local Grocery Store and some cupcakes and I was so happy because of her thoughtfulness given she's only 6 years old.

Regarding him not giving a single penny is his fault indeed, you are his wife and you do have some rights regarding this.

I will advise you to understand that everybody's finance situation is different, do not look at other people's lives or what they have and try to compare to your own. This will only make you feel miserable. Instead, try to look at things from your husband's perspective. I am sorry I may be harsh on you but you are just like a friend of mine who just came from India and think America is a paradise, money grows on trees. She also expects diamonds from her husband without understanding the complexity of life here in America. If you are out of job and do not have any saving, this is the worst place on earth.
    If you feel like a fool spending $100 on hubby for his Birthday what do you think he must feel like if he would have paid $4000 for your education?
    Try to work with your husband, ask him how much would he feel comfortable giving you per month for your personal spending.

For others who never lived in CA, let me tell you making 40K equals to 10K elswhere in US.

9. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you everyone for the replies. Some of you made me see that I am at fault too in expecting gifts from my husband, I think I will try better to adjust with these issues. I don't really expect him to buy me diamonds of course, its just the pain I feel when he sends gifts to his sis in India when I am trying my best to buy the cheapest grocery. I try to save as much possible too, but in vain as that is spent in gifts to India. If I tell him not to do so, he says he likes to gift to family members and cannot tolerate interference! And he got angry with me once when I told his Mom clearly that we cannot have kids because of money-issues as she was continuously taunting me for not being able to conceive after more than 2 years!(he doesn't want me to tell anyone that we are restraining from having a baby and I'm 29 and this adds to another of my worries) Though his family understands our finances still they expect him to send gifts.

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions on ways to fund studies, I hope there would be scholarship system I'm eligible for, the only worry I have is what if I do not get a job even after spending on a course as I have no experience. I am doing volunteer stuff to be able to put something on my resume while on H4.

I don't want money-issues to ruin my marriage and that is why do not voice my feelings to my husband. I am unable to find a way to put my thoughts without being challenged for an argument.

I thank you all, it feels really light to be able to tell someone what's eating me. I see that I need to relax first and try to stay happy in what I have. I hope things will change for me soon.

how do I edit the my first post in this thread? I don't see edit option there

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Nithya ,

You cannot edit your post after 24 hours of posting. Thanx.