Planning to write GRE. Any of you writing?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by chinni3367, Apr 2, 2007.

1. chinni3367

chinni3367 New IL'ite

I am planning to write GRE test.Recently I was started thinking about it, though we have a university near by. And now anyway I am staying at home on H4 visa.But I hardly lost the interest of studying , but still planning to take GRE LOL. May be If I work hard I can make it. I am just wondering any of you attended the GRE recently or planning to attend the GRE , please I need some guidence.I want to know howmany months of preparation hardly need to take test? Even I didn't register for exam? If I want to take test before july 31,for current GRE howmany days ahead has to have registration?Any suggestions or tips for me please!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007

2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Re: planning to write GRE.Any of you writing?

Hi chinni,

Iam also sailing in the same boat now.Since i couldnt apply for my h1-b visa on time this year,i want to write gre and do MS here .My cousin recently gave GRE on 8th March.But she is india and she attended gre preparation course.Everybody tell that we need minimum 3months of preparation for GRE exam .But i have a 2.5year naughty kid..He doesn't sit in one place..I dont know how long it would take for me to prepare.
    And about registration,it depends upon the availability of the dates.That u have to check in GRE Home website.here is the link for registration for gre exam.There is no time limit to make a registration.It only depends on availability of the dates for the test in your area.
    Registration-General
    Check for the availability of the dates and then register.

My sincere suggestion is first register for the test,then only u can prepare with that date as the target date..Orelse we keep dragging and finally endup in shortage of time for preparation.The above website has some preparatoty materials,sample test papers etc.U can also try downloading some gre practise test papers from VyomWorld.com - Programming, GRE, GATE, GMAT, MBA & Job Resources.

Hope this helps u,
    cheers,
    vaishu

3. mom23kidz

mom23kidz New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am still doing my undergrad but my sis-in-law took the GRE last year. She registered for the exam three months in advance, borrowed numerous books from the library then settled on the one she liked the best and studied 3-4 hours everyday while her toddler was napping. She passed with flying colors, her most impt. advice was to keep to the study schedule even if it meant avoiding TV or staying up late. Hope this helps.

4. sheshin

sheshin Gold IL'ite

Hi Chinni
    just yesterday i wrote my GRE but i got less score in verbal.I didn't complete Barron's wordlist completely as i just prepared for one and half month.You should prepare atleast 3 months.I am planning to write again in mid jul.This time i will have to complete wordlist two times before exam.You can register two days before also but if you register ahead of your planning date then only you can prepare seriously by keeping the date in your mind.This was true in my case .I kept neglecting the study until i registerd my test date .Now if you start preparation you can easily complete the study till your test date.Search ETS web sites for information.If you have any doubts PM me at ay time.All the best for your exam.
    Love
    Neelima:)

5. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Chinni 3367, Vaishnavilakshmi & Sheshin

What happened to your GRE last year? Have you all completed? This year my daughter has registered for June 2008.

Can you all give me some more info on the test. She has registered for Computer based General Test.

I would appreciate to receive your info.

Best Regards
    Shantisubra
    8-5-08

6. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

First of all, cheers to all women here wishing to progress their career.

Please ask specific questions. I have written GRE in 2005 and I can find out details for all of you here.

Shoot your questions !!!

Chinni,
    It may roughly take one month to 45 days for preparation. If you read a lot of books and newspaper already, it ll take only 2 weeks. So it depends on the person.

.ETS also has a contact number. You can call them and ask specific doubts..They are very helpful...

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  7. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

hi everybody,
    it's an interesting topic and i would like to join. whatever i know i can share with you all. First of all,pls remember the points:
    you cannot study GRE
    it is not like our subjects, to study.
    all you need is practice,practice,and practice...god reasoning capacity will improve if you practice GRE. you can buy "word power made easy" book and fill the exercise. It is mainly for improving our power in english. you can also read wordlists side by side in barrons,but i think it won't help a lot. practice english tests a lot. just select a topic and try to write an essay in that. read english newspapers journals(new york times,washington journal) regularly. even if you are not aware of reading journals,start reading from today. if u plan to study barron words,just read 30 words a day..don't try too much of words..and the next day try to memorize those 30 words and read 30 more words..like that,continue..Please take a lot of time to prepare for GRE because for some people they may pickup in a month or two,and for some other people it may take more than 3-4 months..you can practice GRE CDs and practice a lot..again pls don't try to mug up or study GRE..practice and check for scores..if you score less..that's ok..no probs..check where u have made mistake and the next time deftly your capacity will improve..ALL THE BEST to all and iam going to write GRE for my Phd..Again i have to write GRE..
    Thanks

8. whitwrose

whitwrose New IL'ite

hi all,
    this my first post.i am going write my gre exam on19 july.
    can anybody tell me where i can get the flash cards?
    i want some modles of recomendation letters?
    plzz help.
    thank u
    white rose

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi all,

I am ashamed to tell that i am not aware about the details of GRE exam. I thought only students who wish to start their career in U.S take up this exam. I am in US since 1 year and have never thought about this. My friends have told me that there twoo kinds of exam 1. General Test and 2. Subject Test.

Can someone help me with the basic details and the advantage of passing this test. Since i was working in IT field before marriage, if at all i prepare for 2-3 months can i take up the Computer Based Subject test?

Please someone help me with the necessary details.Thanks.