Need some info regarding UK schools

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by maderan, Jan 4, 2009.

1. maderan

maderan New IL'ite

Hi !
    We are shortly moving to a place called Bournemouth,UK.We have a 3 year old daughter.Can some one plz give any info abt schools in Bournemouth,Uk.For now,I know that In UK,the cut off age for public schools inUK is september 1st and should complete 5 years and before that kids will have to go to nursery.
    My daughter is born on October 27th 2005.If we move now to Bournemouth,Uk which kind of school can my daughter attend and what class?So,Is there any way I could avoid losing one academic year for her.Also,can someone plz give me some info about what kids are usually taught in nurseries.My daughter was attending private christian academy proper school in US where she was taught Abeka curriculum.
    Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Madhavi

2. sravugarimella

sravugarimella New IL'ite

Hi Madhavi,

Happy new year to u and your family:) Bournemoth is a lovely place and i am sure you guys will love it too! Coming to your query, you can find the list of all the schools in your local area on BBC's website under 'League tables'. Just type 'League tables' in google and you should get the link. That gives you information on how the schools are doing. You have two options, either you can send your daughter to private school or public school. Private is a bit expensive with roughly around £2000 a term(3 months). If you live in a area where public schools are of good standard then that should not be necessary. As soon as you come in, contact the local Dfes and they should be able to give you all the details of when your child can go to school. Some schools do take kids who are born after the cut off period and start in Jan. Not sure if every school does that. Regarding curriculum, it starts slowly in the beginning (compared to india) but kids will learn lot of stuff practically once they move on to higher classes. So dont panic in the beginning:) Hope this helps, Good luck with the move. take care

3. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Madhavi:

Just a small piece of additional information to what Sravanthi has already mentioned in detail. You could also check the Ofsted reports for the public schools which gives you an idea of the school has fared during the recent / last inspection. That gives you a fair idea about the school, teachers and students as well.

Look for the local council website bournemouth.gov.uk under schools for example. It will give you plenty of information other than schools as well.

Hope this helps.

Sindhu

4. maderan

maderan New IL'ite

Hi!
    Thank you for the valuable info you shared with me Garimella and Sindhu.We went through some schools which are listed under private schools in bournemouth.gov.uk.All we want at the end is that she should not loose one academic year.That is what we are trying for.We are hoping for the best.Thank you for the valuable replies again.
    Madhavi