Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 1)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Ami, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra

Welcome back!!! Nice to know that you had an enjoyable stay in Madurai. I was laughing while reading about the rasa vadai - morkuzhambu and buying iron dosai kal. Even I love the old things. After repeated requests, my mom has agreed to train a kal chatti for me - I am nostalgic about the taste of pulikaachal and vetha kuzhambu my grand mom used to make in kal chattis.

In your absence I tried a lot of stuffs and thought would post the FB after you come. Here's a list of your recipes I tried

Kalyana rasam - again
    Bhel Puri - we both liked the traditional chutney recipes
    MW tomato rasam with beetroot - It was very simple and tasty
    Thayir dosai - became an instant favourite
    adai - took it to work upon request from a non-Tamil team-member. Usually I am not particular about the proportion of various dals, but when I followed your proportion, it was moru-moru and fool-proof. The left over batter became kunukku and even my kid( almost 19 month old ) felt he didn't have enough of it :)
    Aviyal - I replaced half of the coconut with carrot upon your suggestion and it was very colourful and appteizing to look at and was very tasty.
    PPBB - it was refreshingly good.
    Date Halwa - I love this simple sweet and it became a hit with our friend's family whom we invited over for dinner.
    Chocolate mousse - I did not get instant agar agar powder and had to work with agar agar grass( looked like sevai stick, agar agar flakes I think ) and I was not successful with this recipe - need to do my home work again :cry:
    Convalescent Soup - I LOVE this soup. I am not a soup/salad person, but loved this simple, yet tasty and flavourful soup.

Eagerly looking fwd to your 'jiffy cooking' thread - if you were really serious about it.

-Gayathri.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: Mind blowing promptness !!!

Dear Sowmini,
    Your P M perplexed me ! But now, I see that you have been able to navigate successfully !
    Thankyou for your nice words.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Thankyou for the detailed, nice feed back.
    Adai - my MIL always used to comment about me "சித்ரா அளந்து அளந்து தான் சமைப்பா" !
    But the proportion gives the fool proof edge - don't you agree now ?
    Agar agar flakes have to be soaked in water, lightly warmed, gradually etc. Since it is time consuming, powder is quick & easy.
    Now, about jiffy thread.
    நான் ரெடி- நீங்கள் ரெடியா?
    Please write, how exactly you want it. It will be easy for me to "deliver the goods on order" !
    Thanks again, Gayathri.
    Love,
    Chithra.
    So, there are "madi sanjis" like me in I L ?!

4. sahanaTx

sahanaTx New IL'ite

Kalyana Rasam and Cauliflower Au gratin

Dear Chithra...
    Tried these both this weekend and both were truly amazing.Kalyana rasam was very good.I have always loved the rasams they serve at weddings(except pineapple rasam) and did not ever think that i could make something close/similar in taste.Your recipe,as always is fool-proof.

For the au gratin I had mixed veggies(more of cauliflower and less of carrot,beans and potato).The taste was simply delicious.Loved that chilli powder tip.It made so much of a difference.My husband was amazed and said that it tasted like the gratin you get at Eden(that is one of our favorite restaurants for this dish)...
    Thanks Chithra for sharing your wonderful recipes.
    Nandini

5. sahanaTx

sahanaTx New IL'ite

I think I've decided what dish to try next..Adai!I'am not a big fan of what I make.

6. Chitvish

Re: Kalyana Rasam and Cauliflower Au gratin

Dear Nandini,
    Thanks for the feedbacks.
    You said it right - Eden is my favourite jaunt too ! I ate morkuzambu idli there & have given it here. Yet another I loved there was nutty pumpkin soup which I will post shortly.
    Red chilli powder, I feel, gives an interesting Indian twist to a continental dish.
    Bar prejudice - try pineapple raam !
    Perhaps, for trying adai, you accept my MIL's commen about me ??:tongue
    She must be turning in her grave - I learnt a lot from her, though !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Jiffy cooking - :yes: we are ready!!!

You have already provided many recipes that can be cooked in a jiffy - so, how about starting with tips and advices on how to cook in a jiffy - like how are you able to manage your cooking - from cutting fresh vegetables in under an hour...I am sure this would be part of your time management techiniques too...Count me in for an eager follower...!

Thanks for the madi sanji compliment - actually, there are cast iron woks sold in the US too. I understand that any acidic food like tomato/tamarind cooked in iron container absorbs iron from the container - so, isn't old gold or alteast iron :).

-Gayathri.

8. kripa shankari

kripa shankari New IL'ite

hi chitra
    today was dad's birthday and i had forgotten in the morning to wish him.
    feeling bad i decided 2 try out the seven cup cake to make amends.
    it turned out so well that dad refused 2 believe that i had made it.
    i never cook as both my mom and mil do the cooking.
    i just cut and clean.
    so imagine their surprise that their bookish kripa had made SWEET.
    thanks to you and only you.
    next time ia m gonna try badushah.
    do not u think i hav got the guts cos of u.
    by the way my mom cannot stop thanking u for ur timely help on my thatha's shradam.
    ur recipe list was so perfect she also wants to know how to post on the IL forum
    luv
    kripa

9. Chitvish

Dear Kripa,
    Excellent F B, more because you call yourself Bookish Kripa !
    Let me share a thing with you. It is generally said that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. But I would change it and say, the proof of good cooking is in sweet making. Halwas, kheers are all easy to make. Any burfi poses the toughest challenge to get the right consistency !
    So, Kripa, you hit the nail on the head, the first time !!:tongue
    Try butter badusha firast. Buy fresh soda & add absolutely minimum. Follow all tips in kneading verbatim. It is very important.
    Please convey my thanks to Amma without fail. Please ask her to join I L & post - I would welcome it !
    My greetings to Appa on his birthday.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

hi chitra

sry for tht PM :) ....anyways can u tell me the recipe for chinna vengaya vadam...i actually have sum in stock..but it was made by sumbody in kumbakonam and they had passed it on to my mum frm whom i stole the pack n came...its just yummy and immediately melts when u put it in the mouth....can u let me knw how to make it??

lov
    sowmini

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.