1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

family unity vs money matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by rjhari, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rjhari

rjhari New IL'ite

OakTree, what a similarity. we are sailing same boat. my BIL does nothing, he is married. he was supported by MIL when I suggested him to be more responsible. (ofcourse my MIL could pressure me to find a job and put every penny of my salary in my husband's account. and converted my accounts prior to marriage to his account). When she comes here, she thinks the script whole day while I go for work, she talks to her son to be very responsible towards lazy brother and his own responsibilitiesbonk. Say, When I buy a saree for myself, I have to buy for every other DIL, otherwise my MIL thinks other DIL's feel bad that they are not working:rotfl like me. If we buy house before anyone else, other brothers would feel bad that their wifes are not earning, So we need to help them buying before we buy for ourselves. How insane :). While my MIL was here for 6 months, SHe used to wake up after I am done with all cooking and cleaning and just picking up the bag ready to go for work. watch movies till late in the evening , I only could laugh, otherwise it drives me crazy.

It is not just the money alone, it is the power game too I guess.

2. ShardaSuresh

ShardaSuresh Bronze IL'ite

rihari,

I agree with you about having a separate account. If things are really bad then even having your own place is not a bad idea.

This is what we have done. We returned to India 9 years ago. After living in the US for 18 years and living an independent life since the age of 21, my husband had a lot of issues when we moved into my in-laws home. I have always lived in a nuclear family and since I moved to US after marriage I too was having a hard time living in a joint family.

We bought a house and moved in about 7 years ago. Today we visit our in-laws regularly. If my fil is sick my mil has no issues calling us late in the night and festivals are always celebrated together. Last year my fil was not feeling well and my in-laws moved in with us for about a month. Not taking care of the house gave my mil all the energy she need to take of fil.

So please don't think that there is only one type of joint family (where everyone has to pool in the resources), You can start by changing the e-account for your pay cheque and see if anyone notices

3. rjhari

rjhari New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing your views ShardaSuresh. I think I kinda clear now that I need a separate account..Not sure how I do though. It is certainly not easy to change my e-account abrubtly.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. ShardaSuresh

Here is another suggestion, if you don't want to change your e-account.

Tell your company to pay you salary by cheque. Deposit that amount in the bank and then what ever you think is the appropriate amount write a cheque out for the head of the family.

I agree this is not going to be easy. But try to say that you are facing pay cuts because of recession or something to that effect.

I hope you find a solution soon.

5. rjhari

rjhari New IL'ite

I made my first attempt when discussing my new year resolutions. I usually ask new year resolutions to my husband every year. I took that opportunity, and gathered all my courage, put forth this with him, honestly discussed with him that, this stress is wearing me out unless it is rewarding in some way or other. I really see no point in me working just stressing physically and mentally, if is of no help towards my own responsibilities as wife and mom. He tried convincing ofcourse, his mom is not like that, his dad is big GOD who thinks of us only, his brothers are dedicated etc etc. I just raised a point, if mom really treat me as daugther, why she stressed me on my job when her own son is idling around doing nothing. when she trusts me so much, why my accounts are made joint before I even realized. why she talks about money and preaches to be to be doormat before even asking how am I doing. etc etc..

It was a long long discussion. since the topic reached towards accounts, I mentioned how about saving half salary in some other account, which is just on mine. I kind of argued that, If one trusts me, he should not have objection on that. He reversed the same question to me :). Not an easy guy. ha!. I responded. I trusted everyone. that's how till today, I did not have one. I layed out all the reasons why it is more stressful now etc etc...

I am sure he is thinking on it...Let me see what happens...But anyway, I made my first step handling this situation. Thanks IL ladies for your moral support.

6. solonacea

solonacea New IL'ite

Hi oaktree
    Even i am sailing in d same boat like yrs...
    I too feel re sentment sumtimes......
    i m also mum but god knows till wat time it will go on.....
    i sumtime get vry irritated but.......

earlier i was in canada so never used to indulge in all this but frm d time i have shifted to Delhi ,in joint family i am facing this situation
    I hope sumbdy give nice idea to cum out of this situation

7. ShardaSuresh

Hi Rjhari

Great approach. Now that you have put across your ideas, Maybe you should start telling your husband that you could use that money later, for school admissions or maybe go on a vacation together.

Once your dh is convinced that he is also going to enjoy the money you are saving, he will be more co-operative

Best of luck, I hope you are able to convince your dh soon

8. oaktree

oaktree Senior IL'ite

Dear Rjhari,
    Making you buy sarees for everyone is a very crazy thought of your mil. i mean if you yourself feel like buying stuff for your co-sils so then its a different thing but forcing you is bad. after all if mil wants her other dils to have plenty of fancy stuff why can't she ask them to join some office as she forces you. Its unfair.
    I feel bad when I see parents using one of the children to keep the financial show running and on the other hand they keep pamparing their other child.
    Few days back, for the first time I raised my concern to fil saying my dh is overburdened with all the work and his health is getting affected but the smart guy my fil is... he refused to even acknowledge that it is so :spin 'Everyone needs to work hard in life for his business' is what he said and when I said - 'Exactly, everyone means everyone then why only my poor dh all the time?' ... then fil got angry :crazy that I could reply back to him. Even I am not talking to such an insensitive person since then and believe me that pisses him off all the more that I am not running behind him and asking forgiveness for what i said bonk

Regards
    Oaktree

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  9. oaktree

oaktree Senior IL'ite

Dear solonacea,
    Its very irritating I know :-(
    Luckily in my household its not only me but off late my DH has also started feeling the concern as well as resentment. He feels that this way his younger brother will always remain a burden on someone or the other throughout his life. DH wishes for his bro's good and wants him to be strong and independent something which my bil is not at all interested in :spin
    But the strange part is my inlaws fail to see that they are themselves making their younger son a cripple by all this over pampering and side taking. Sad.

Regards.
    Oaktree

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  10. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Folks,

In a joint family can share in the following manner. This is practical experience.

For eg: If the expense of the house is 15k then father and 2 sons all shell out 5K each.

Every one has an equal amt of insurence and mediclaim policies. So in an event of any major illness the policy will take care.

All social and other personal expenses to be borne by individual.

DIL if earning has her own account.

One week a DIL cooks lunch, next week she cooks dinner. So alternate duties. Hence one week you are free in the morning and next week free in the evening. B/fast and evening snacks goes with lunch/dinner.

If there are too many guests then the workload is again divided.

Only the jewellery/assets coming from the elders is divided. But if one son is earning more his wife has all the liberty to spend accordingly. They are not liable to think for the other brothers and sisters.

To put all this in force...the head of the family has to be strong enough. They should not be biased with their children, only then it is possible to maintain peace and harmony in the family. If the elders don't listen then we have to put our foot down, but ofcourse the spouse should also oblige...otherwise the DIL will be fighting a lone battle. But we have to do for our own benefit if we are being taken for granted.

Don't think the above is good to hear or read...this is my practical experience.